advertisement

Covid-19 Response Committee : Cummings Tells All?

I'm convinced this is part of Cummings' 'move fast and break things' strategy. So while I'm prepared to be amused by the spectacle of government discomfort, I stick to my underlying principle that I'm automatically opposed to anything Dominic Cummings wants. So whatever Machiavellian plan is in play here, I'm VERY wary of buying in to it.

There are few things more satisfying in life than watching Conservatives knife each other in public, and this shower of thieves and incompetents deserve everything they get. I have zero time for Cummings, but any spotlight he can shine on this corrupt and feckless administration is most welcome. He seems to be doing rather well so far.

My main annoyance is he is, like his party, fundamentally corrupt and has personally made hundreds of thousands, if not millions off the back of the tax-payer, so he is not the right one to shine a light on this particular aspect that is so rife in the modern Conservative Party. We need the Good Law Project for that. He is however exposing the gross incompetence that has slaughtered so many of our elderly and disabled community in carehomes etc. A pack of butchers and thieves.

I’d recommend people watch as much of the hearing as they can rather than wait till it gets pushed through the strainer of ‘Fleet St’. His evidence is so damaging that they’ll work hard to discredit it.

There are few things more satisfying in life than watching Conservatives knife each other in public, and this shower of thieves and incompetents deserve everything they get. I have zero time for Cummings, but any spotlight he can shine on this corrupt and feckless administration is most welcome. He seems to be doing rather well so far. My annoyance is he is corrupt and has made hundreds of thousands, if not millions on the back of the tax-payer, so he is not the right one to shine a light on the corruption that is so rife in the modern Conservative Party. He is however exposing the gross incompetence that has slaughtered so many of our elderly and disabled community in carehomes etc.
Hes not been asked about the VIP Lane yet.

I'm convinced this is part of Cummings' “What’s good for D Cummings” strategy.

That much is a given, though any truth or scrutiny that is emitted as a byproduct is highly welcome. This government actively evades scrutiny modelling itself on the Trump administration, so any bright light is welcome.

Really liked this:

'He also says it is “crazy” that someone like himself was able to have so much power. And it was “crackers” that Johnson was in there too, he says.

It is completely crazy that I should have been in such a senior position in my personal opinion.

I’m not smart. I’ve not built great things in the world.

It’s just completely crackers that someone like me should have been in there, just the same as it’s crackers that Boris Johnson was in there, and that the choice at the last election was Jeremy Corbyn.

He says the political parties need to ask themselves about why they present the public with choices like this.

And he says Whitehall needs to explain why people out of their depth reach senior positions.'

Hahaha!

His take on the timing is significant, I think:

'Q: Were you part of No 10 groupthink? Or did you know it was wrong, but felt too junior to protest?

Cummings says, although the original plan looked terrible, one big peak looked better than another peak in the winter.

There was a better alternative. But he says people did not start discussing that until 12/13 March. Until then, people thought the alternative approach (lockdown) was possible.

And even after that there were people on Sage who thought the lockdown policy was a mistake. The scientists were still arguing about that at the meeting on 18 March.

Cummings says he does not think of himself as a whistle-blower.

He thinks “it’s a disaster that I acted too late”.

But he was frightened of acting, he says. He says he was asking himself if he hit the panic button, and persuaded the PM to change, whether he would be responsible for thousands of deaths.'

12/13 March. They had all the significant modelling then, other countries had already been locked down, bodies were piling up in Italy. But they'd been ploughing on. What finally did for the herd immunity plan was contact with reality: i.e. the public: 12/13 is when they announced their plan and every person in the country not employed as a journalist said "You ___ing what?!" (Journalists said "Listen to the experts! They're experts! Are you an expert?")

It's good that Cummings is admitting that groupthink ruled: that was very obviously the case right from the start. But he's saying that that could have been avoided by opening up the plan to "smart people": I think that's what he means by transparency. It didn't need smart people! It just needed them to show their dog___ to the public sooner.

Interesting that Sky News prioritise the Cummings committee meeting over Johnson’s weekly liespaff and blather at PMQs.

Why would any one would give Cimmings and Goinngs any time of day after his eye test to the frozen North?. His current behaviour 'it wasn't me gov' has got more in common with soldiers saying they were 'acting on orders'.

He still thinks far too much of himself. Whatever comes out of his mouth will be his take on things for today and a lot will be missing, or conveniently forgotten. History will be written later, for now it is too close.

And he says Whitehall needs to explain why people out of their depth reach senior positions.'

Lions lead by Donkeys is how he also put it!

@JensenHealey - I suggest you watch the questions session for yourself. It's much more than you think and very interesting to hear the inner workings of the Governments failures. Some of these failures are very basic givens that you would expect competent senior leaders to understand, plan and execute. However, it's clear that the Donkeys were in charge and that's why many needless people died.

He is at least showing some refreshing self-awareness.

Not a surprise that someone with his edgy, wiry personality would end up falling out with a could-care-less, lazy s**t like Johnson.

But I bet Cummings would be a nightmare down the pub. The Great British public will likely side with Johnson, as he'd be more fun down the pub.

Cummings: “From February or March I was saying if we don’t fire the Health Secretary we are going to kill people…

advertisement

Back