advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

drood,

So, not too debilitating right now, but it is annoying, and it's certainly outstayed its welcome.

Glad to hear it's not serious, but rest and get better. If you were Vulcan I'd recommend a self-healing trance, even though it's kinda painful when you need to snap out of it.

Joe

There has been a large increase in Covid round here over the last month or so with the result that the local hospital is filling up again with over seventy people in for severe symptoms.

vax booked for next Tues. There are no pharmacies or walk in centres in this town. Have to drive to the nearest one.....

vax booked for next Tues. There are no pharmacies or walk in centres in this town. Have to drive to the nearest one.....

Vax also booked for next Tuesday. I'm very fortunate to have less than a 200m walk to the vaccination centre. Hope the inconvenience of travelling doesn't deter people from taking up the offer.

I'm booked for Tuesday too! If I last that long - eldest is picking up a bit now...

There isn't a pharmacy within 10 miles of me that does bookable flu jabs - that's important because I need to blag transport. It's a still a mess for disabled people.

Having tested -ve for 10 days now (as has my daughter and my wife for 3 days after testing positive the previous week) we have got through this okay. As I have no B-Cells in my blood (have blood samples taken weekly to be tested) and having been in the car with my wife the day before she tested +ve for 90 mins I thought that there was very little chance of me not getting Covid and not needing the anti viral drugs for the immune suppressed. But luckily I got away with it.

So I started to research how this could have happened and came across a paper that proposed that most people with Covid do not pass it on to others, but the remainder tend to pass it on to many:

Probably about 10% of cases lead to 80% of the spread.

• ADAM KUCHARSKI, LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE

https://www.science.org/content/art...ny-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all
Which I found very interesting and hopefully can be used in more effective modelling of the virus transfer in the community.

And so I then looked into when people are likely to be infectious and came across this:

Real-world study details average duration of infectiousness for COVID-19
The findings suggest that in people who develop symptoms, the majority are not infectious before symptoms develop, but two-thirds of cases are still infectious five days after their symptoms begin.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/239213/real-world-study-details-average-duration-infectiousness/

Probably about 10% of cases lead to 80% of the spread.

Yes that seems to fit with Omicron earlier in the year peaking in infectiousness after symptoms develop (I vaguely recall a Japanese? study much earlier in the year,) which was a 2 or 3 days later than previous strains. That gives you a bit of a chance - that's the theory I've been working to anyway...

Covid infection levels are rising across much of the UK, with more than 1.7 million people thought to have had the virus in the most recent week, data has revealed.

About one in 35 people in England – 2.8% of the population – had Covid in the week ending 3 October based on swabs from randomly selected households, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics. It is an increase from one in 50 the week before.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/coronavirus-covid-levels-on-rise-across-uk

Ah bugger, it's finally got me.
Felt a bit achey this morning, so tested, and got a (faint) red line.
Better rearrange my booster shot, which was due next Wednesday.
I'm now paranoid I've given it to Mum, as I was round there on Saturday. Phoned her to warn her, and found she'd been into a neighbours house, who'd since tested positive (and has pneunomia on top of it).

advertisement

Back