advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

^ Is the second booster being given too late in the UK which states it is for the Over 75s ? The CDC in USA recommends it for the Over 50s.

Last winter's Omicron variant was less likely to cause lingering symptoms, known as "long Covid", a UK investigation, in The Lancet, suggests.

The King's College London team looked at data from nearly 100,000 people who logged their Covid symptoms on an app.

Just over 4% of those infected during the Omicron wave had logged long Covid symptoms, compared with 10% of those infected in the preceding, Delta, wave.

But as far more were infected during the Omicron wave, the total was higher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61828335

Had more mask abuse yesterday when filling up with (reassuringly expensive) petrol in SE London where I was told to stop being a **** and take the mask off as the virus was 'done'. Wasn't as polite as the last time and told them to stop reading commentary by the detritus of humanity on Facebook and start reading some scientific and medical commentary by qualified individuals, but pointed out that they may need a dictionary to understand the words with more than two syllables.... not sure they understood the term syllable actually :D I wasn't in a great mood yesterday so my bad as they say, but...

Positive for the Mrs this a m. She's not too bad.
I made the mistake of sleeping in the same bed as her again last night...so...still we've had a good run to make it this far without incident.

Join us for a discussion on Long Covid and its impact, with special guests Prof Amitava Banerjee & Dr Claire Taylor, hosted by Dr Binita Kane & Prof Trish Greenhalgh, chaired by Prof Deenan Pillay, and numbers by Dr Kit Yates

latest ONS data confirms the start of the new wave in UK nations.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1537774400501686274/photo/1

In the most recent week (ending 11 June for England, Wales and Northern Ireland; week ending 10 June for Scotland):

• There was an increase in the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland likely caused by infections compatible with Omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5.
  • In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 1,131,000 (95% credible interval: 1,066,000 to 1,196,100), equating to 2.07% of the population or around 1 in 50 people.
  • In Wales, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 64,800 (95% credible interval: 49,400 to 83,400), equating to 2.13% of the population or around 1 in 45 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 42,900 (95% credible interval: 32,600 to 54,300), equating to 2.34% of the population or around 1 in 45 people.
  • In Scotland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 176,900 (95% credible interval: 152,900 to 202,200), equating to 3.36% of the population or around 1 in 30 people.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...naviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/17june2022

65 deaths and 842 admissions (a big jump - 2 week doubling rather than 3, I fear) That's the Jubillee party damage coming through now, 1/3 of hospital daily capacity already...

The covid waves continue to come
BMJ 2022; 377 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o1504 (Published 17 June 2022)

"While omicron might be somewhat less severe than delta, and people have higher immunity through vaccination and previous infection, it is not mild. At a population level, its sheer transmissibility more than compensates for any reduction in experienced disease severity or symptoms for the individual. For instance, in the five months of the omicron era since 1 January 2022, almost 20 000 people have died with covid-19 mentioned on their death certificate.5 Almost exactly the same number of people had it mentioned on their death certificate in the six months that delta was dominant in England in 2021—but we have just started yet another omicron wave and so deaths from this variant will rise still further."

Positive for the Mrs this a m. She's not too bad.
I made the mistake of sleeping in the same bed as her again last night...so...still we've had a good run to make it this far without incident.
Yep it's got me too.
Had shivers last night and feel a bit worse than after the first vaccine but not at death's door.
Made lunch and dinner last night so credits for that; though I suspect we are now in a "I'm sicker than you!" "No you're not!" Scenario.
Disco dancing at Joe Clausell is off. First night out with the boys in donkeys.:rolleyes:

Yep it's got me too.
Had shivers last night and feel a bit worse than after the first vaccine but not at death's door.
Made lunch and dinner last night so credits for that; though I suspect we are now in a "I'm sicker than you!" "No you're not!" Scenario.
Disco dancing at Joe Clausell is off. First night out with the boys in donkeys.:rolleyes:

Hope it's not too bad. Shame about Mr. Claussell.

advertisement

Back