advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an email sent to schools on Sunday, the department for education (DfE) advised them to deal with staff shortages by combining classes into larger groups."

Anyone would think the DFE fully understand just how this virus transmits eh.
There has to be a better alternative, and this just heaps yet more stress onto both pupils and teachers.

I have to say I was expecting greater impact on logistics and infrastructure but perhaps that will come in time.
This new variant is so infectious. I’m quite careful having been 'socially distancing' all my life. But I go to bars most days early when they are quiet, always wear a mask, wash my hands etc. Anyroad tested positive on New Years Eve so hoping it will be kind to me.

I have to say I was expecting greater impact on logistics and infrastructure but perhaps that will come in time.
This new variant is so infectious. I’m quite careful having been 'socially distancing' all my life. But I go to bars most days early when they are quiet, always wear a mask, wash my hands etc. Anyroad tested positive on New Years Eve so hoping it will be kind to me.

hope all goes well for you as you progress thru the isolation.

What’s happening with these LFTs it’s practically impossible to get hold of them and I can’t go out to the Chemist to ask for a box. I’ve only got a couple so it’s judging when to use them!!.
Like the Toilet Roll situation in the past I bet you have some sad people with 20 boxes stashed away!. Travelling around all the local chemists stocking up on something they won’t use to the degree of their Supply.

What’s happening with these LFTs it’s practically impossible to get hold of them and I can’t go out to the Chemist to ask for a box. I’ve only got a couple so it’s judging when to use them!!.
Like the Toilet Roll situation in the past I bet you have some sad people with 20 boxes stashed away!. Travelling around all the local chemists stocking up on something they won’t use to the degree of their Supply.

The rumour is that there's only one supplier to the chemists shops and they've been closed for the holidays!

The official figures for infections must be way understated. We know over 20 people who have positive LFTs but have not reported them or had PCRs. They are isolating aside from dog walking… The next 6 weeks are going to see a lot of disruption.

The official figures for infections must be way understated. We know over 20 people who have positive LFTs but have not reported them or had PCRs. They are isolating aside from dog walking… The next 6 weeks are going to see a lot of disruption.

if what you mention is happening all over the country then such people are not isolating! - they are selectively doing things they have to do and breaking the law as well as putting others at risk of breathing air they have just expelled. I can well appreciate that it could be the case, as it would be easy for many to turn a blind eye to reporting their results due to the hassle of isolation. I also have a dog which I’m having to put out into the garden as I haven’t been allowed out of the house since Boxing Day apart from the PCR. Obvious some dogs need exercise but isolating should be done I feel. Obviously someone gave me the Virus but I’d be pretty annoyed if whoever gave me it was well aware of having it and keeping it to themselves and carrying on regardless. Where would we be if everyone was like that?. I bet there are thousands of people who are just doing their normal daily life and couldn’t give a monkey’s if they give it to another person.
I can understand the dilemma some folks are in especially if they live alone and have no alternative but surely someone will walk a dog for a person - it says that there may be help to do such things as well as get shopping etc but how realistic thet may be who knows?.

if what you say is the case then these folks are not isolating - they are selectively isolating and breaking the law as well as putting others at risk of breathing air they have just expelled. I also have a dog which I’m having to put out into the garden as I haven’t been allowed out of the house since Boxing Day apart from the PCR. Obvious some dogs need exercise but isolating should be done I feel. Obviously someone gave me the Virus but I’d be pretty annoyed if whoever gave me it was well aware of having it and keeping it to themselves and carrying on regardless. Where would we be if everyone was like that?. I bet there are thousands of people who are just doing their normal daily life and couldn’t give a monkey’s if they give it to another person.
I can understand the dilemma some folks are in especially if they live alone and have no alternative but surely someone will walk a dog for a person - it says that there may be help to do such things as well as get shopping etc but how realistic thet may be who knows?.
I don’t remotely condone the dog walking but it’s a behaviour I’d expect from the individuals involved.

I don’t remotely condone the dog walking but it’s a behaviour I’d expect from the individuals involved.

likewise I can imagine that the pub I’ve been in prior to Christmas ( days leading up to it) and Christmas Day Itself would be a magnet for folks who don’t care and would rather have a pint, a good knees up and laugh with the lads then let on they have covid.
I’d 100% say I caught it in this pub I’ve been going to for years at Christmas in my home town. More fool me for thinking I’d avoid it I guess!.

For those who continue to down play paediactric infections:

"COVID-19 caused (yes, caused as per ONS death certification) 82 deaths in children by Dec 2021. The no. of deaths *just this year* is >2x the deaths caused by flu annually prior to the pandemic. Far more than chicken pox, far more than measles or any childhood illness."

"77,000 children estimated to have long COVID- doubled over 4 months due to mass infection in children. 14,000 have had symptoms for *more than a year*. Name any other childhood illness that's had this level of impact."

"9000 children had been orphaned in England and Wales by end of March 2021 - but no one talks about the impact of early life bereavement on children." Many of these will have passed on school infection.

"As per last ONS publication on New Years eve 1 in 15 primary school age children were infected with SARS-CoV-2 - higher than any other age group, and 1 in 20 2ndary school age children. These are the infection rates children may go back to school with."

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1477630305636913161
This is all very tortuously-framed as well as decontextualised, but I keep thinking about the bit where, to demonstrate how deadly the disease is for children, she points out that 9000 children have lost *parents*.

I think everyone gets that covid is really bad, but it seems like for some people it’s just not real enough until it’s framed using children. It’s warping not just discussion but policy. Is it really rational to rule that children mask in schools, but not adults in the workplace?

Sorry Mull but your hatred of Tory’s is clouding your brain. People with money will always make money whilst those without will struggle.

That is true Chops, but the point is that Tory Govt.s, especially recent Tory Govt.s, do nothing to change that, and in fact deliberately facilitate it. This is why this country desperately needs a functioning Labour Party and an electorate that understands politics.

‘John O’Looney, a funeral director and antivaxer, had been due to speak at the march but is believed to be in hospital with Covid.‘

How ironic. Are his loyal followers called loonatics?

So let's be clear here.. You are refuting the notion that wearing masks, even simple ones, can reduce the spread of (possibly undetected) infection from the mask wearer to others?
It can make no difference if it has gaps and doesn't filter vapour. Believing otherwise is insane.

But insane is par for this course.

It would have been great if the government automatically sent a box of tests out to people who are positive as we surely need them.
You don't need them. 10 days, no symptoms, it's over. The guidance changed recently so that negative tests after day 6 allow you to claim exceptional circumstances and leave isolation, but it seems that's not applicable, so no matter.

Time after confirmed infection is a better guide to infectiousness than a binary test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back