advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that he’s “100% for getting people to drop isolation early” - he just wants to LFT first. Seems reasonable. US seems not to have embraced LFTs though.

In any case, seems only a small minority are likely to still be infectious at 5 days, and as ever this is about balance and trade-offs.

https://twitter.com/bquilty/status/1475787390375632905?s=21

What if they're still positive 2 months later? They're guessing!

Data are still incomplete. 129 471 reported cases, 18 deaths and 1374 admissions (26th) - nearly doubled in a week, even with reduced reporting!

What if they're still positive 2 months later? They're guessing!

PCR positive does not mean infectious - and our aim is to reduce R, not get R to 0.

Also, should I have a heart attack, I'd much rather be met at the ER by a doctor who tested positive 5 days ago and is now wearing an N95, than be redirected to a more distant hospital.

BTW the lack of rapid testing in the US is a complete clusterf*ck, exacerbated by a healthcare system of individual profit centers.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...roposal-for-free-rapid-tests-for-the-holidays.

"he went back to top Boston hospitals, including Brigham and Women’s, Tufts Medical Center, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, to offer the Broad’s new testing capacity as an additional resource. “The pushback I got was amazing and swift,” he said. There were “pissing contests everywhere,” as the physicians worked to protect their turf running hospital-based tests.

Once Mina began to advocate for rapid home tests, he encountered the same mindset: doctors “trying to guard their domain.” Some doctors had long opposed home testing, even for pregnancy and HIV, arguing that patients who learned on their own about a given condition would not be able to act on the information effectively. Testing, in this view, should be used only by doctors as a diagnostic instrument, not by individuals as a public-health tool for influencing decisions."

PCR positive does not mean infectious - and our aim is to reduce R, not get R to 0.

Also, should I have a heart attack, I'd much rather be met at the ER by a doctor who tested positive 5 days ago and is now wearing an N95, than be redirected to a more distant hospital.

I'm talking LTF! The Americans laughed at the idea LTF tests might be free, Biden's official spokesperson anyway, as we know...

Why not? My wife still is...
I mean, at the population level the number of people still infectious by that point is negligible. If the goal is eradication, catching every infectious case matters. If the goal is to avoid the health system collapsing, then you have to balance minimising transmission against maximising available staff. One in a thousand still being infectious months later is not really that important - that’s if they are still infectious.

I’d like to see some mitigating measures made permanent; these would include face masks in all indoor spaces during winter & reform of school year to include a longer half term break in October & February to act as fire breaks. This would help mitigate against winter pressures. The summer school break could be shortened to 4 weeks & slightly staggered so that everyone isn’t forced to be away at the same time.

NHS needs to have increased capacity but we have to accept that it may be stretched at times. It looks as though the vaccination penny has dropped & let’s hope each 6 month period is better than the last.

It's unknown. Try getting any kind of a medical/dental appointment with a positive LTF.

"Data from NHS England released on Tuesday revealed that the number of patients in hospital had risen by more than 1,000 in the space of a day, with 9,546 beds occupied by people with Covid on Tuesday, compared with 8,474 the day before – although some trusts, thought to have about 220 Covid patients in total based on recent submissions, did not report their figures for Monday.

Tuesday’s figure is a 38% increase on that reported on 21 December and the highest since 3 March, although still far below the peak last winter of more than 34,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...088fd750192ad8#block-61cb4d8f8f088fd750192ad8

If people were commonly infectious 2 months later, everybody would have already had it.

That's not too far from the truth. I'm saying that people who still test positive by LTF are still expelling virus and it remains unknown if there are infectious or not

"The head of the largest nursing union in the US has warned that new federal guidance reducing the isolation time for asymptomatic people infected with Covid-19 will increase the spread of the virus."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08b7d6158b5d45#block-61cb57288f08b7d6158b5d45

France has reported a record high of 179,807 new confirmed cases in a 24-hour period today, by far the highest number since the start of the pandemic.

The previous record of 104,611 was set on Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...088fd750192b35#block-61cb54408f088fd750192b35

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back