advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Arts education funding is being cut by 50%. The government think people should get a 'proper' job despite:

I thought those ****wits might have learned something from the last time.. when thicky Gove said much the same.
What it boils down to is that these Tory 'Masters of Business and Finance' understand the square root of F all about this country and the talent it has.

I thought those ****wits might have learned something from the last time.. when thicky Gove said much the same.
What it boils down to is that these Tory 'Masters of Business and Finance' understand the square root of F all about this country and the talent it has.
As somebody said, somewhere: ‘science will help us get back to a normal life after Covid, but it is the arts that will make that life worth living.’
Or something.

Of course we need both arts and science in HE. Some arts subjects (eg English, history) are cheap to teach and effectively subsidise the more expensive science subjects. The vulnerable arts subjects are those which, for various reasons, are relatively expensive to teach (eg foreign languages, because of the 'year abroad' element).

Unfortunately, as demonstrated in this very thread, the old 'divide and rule' tactic seems to be working well.

Of course we need both arts and science in HE. Some arts subjects (eg English, history) are cheap to teach and effectively subsidise the more expensive science subjects. The vulnerable arts subjects are those which, for various reasons, are relatively expensive to teach (eg foreign languages, because of the 'year abroad' element).

Unfortunately, as demonstrated in this very thread, the old 'divide and rule' tactic seems to be working well.

I just think it’s such a big subject and this isn’t the right place for it. You have to look at what the function of state provided tertiary eduction is.

Won’t have been a scientist - we have the ‘arts’ part of our brain surgically removed during the first term of a BSc. All that liberal thinking is bad for us….

:D

I dunno though - I can think of one or two musicians who trained as scientists. And plenty of dissertations have been written on the mathematical content of Bach's music.

I just think it’s such a big subject and this isn’t the right place for it. You have to look at what the function of state provided tertiary eduction is.

C'mon, we've sorted out Covid, Brexit and the War on Woke here. The function of state-provided tertiary education* will be a piece of piss by comparison.

* Getting 18 year olds out of the jobs market for three years

I suspect a lot of that is just you casting them as ‘an enemy’ for some reason. I see no sinister motivation at all. Just a group of scientists and medical professionals interpreting data and acting as an independent counterpoint to a clearly corrupt government. Nothing more to see here IMO.

I cannot speak for the medical side, although I suspect it is likely to be the same, but senior academics that have opted to climb the slippery pole by concentrating on administration are not necessarily going to be independent of the government in the way those with a focus on research are more likely to be. Some vice-chancellors looking to take the job for a few years as a stepping stone to moving onwards and upwards are known for looking upwards and acting in the interests of the government of the day rather than downwards and acting the interests of their university. It's how the world works.

As an extreme example if you recall there was an economic academic that was prepared to claim brexit would be economically successful. This almost certainly had nothing to do with research and academic standing and a lot more to do with perceived prospects. Academics are no different to everyone else when it comes to motivations and are only constrained by "the truth" if research and academic standing is important to them which it may not be at senior administrative levels.

CEB605-E4-08-A0-4-C8-F-89-BD-958-F11535-E39.png

That’s all it does from your first link.

Your second link works, thanks.

My friend was clubbing last Sunday. Just had a call from her she had called for an ambulance as she has covid and feels absolutely horrible...it was shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back