advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'Herd Immunity' thing is just one immesurabe & constantly changing variable with this disease.
Each variant = it's no longer the same %
When it first hit, it was said 70-80% of population would need vaccination.
That was increased (from fading memory) to 90%
Now - who knows if it will ever be actually reached (I would like to think so, but simply - its unknown)
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

A question though - at what percentage of the population does herd immunity kick in?

Remember some will have immunity from having had Covid and other studies have shown that others have pre-existing T-cell immunity having not been exposed to the virus.

Herd immunity doesn't make people immune who were not immune. It only works when sufficient people are immune that the virus is unable to find a new host after it has infected someone. A population with herd immunity to one virus is not automatically immune to a variant of that virus, especially to a more infective variant.

Saying that some will have immunity from having had COVID (that immunity seems to be short lived iirc) and others with T-cell immunity is pretty unlikely to make much difference to the chances of a new wave of infections with the new variant. It's like saying people with a decent raincoat will be OK if there is a serious flood.

Having measurable levels of antibodies - a positive result is achieved with tiny levels of antibodies detected - does not necessarily equate to being immune, espcially to a new variant.

2 027 cases (about equal to last week) 7 deaths and 93 hospitalisations. Here's the updated graph showing hospitalisations rising again from the previous decay

^
^
^
But then when does this ever come to an end? A quick Google search has shown me that there are potentially 198 different influenza A subtype combinations (whatever that means).

Goodness knows how many Covid variants there are and may be. We could be chasing after variants for years or we learn to live with Covid like flu.

^
^
^
But then when does this ever come to an end? A quick Google search has shown me that there are potentially 198 different influenza A subtype combinations (whatever that means).

Goodness knows how many Covid variants there are and may be. We could be chasing after variants for years or we learn to live with Covid like flu.

Good question, maybe someone else can answer. I don't know how this nightmare ends.

Smallpox?
Plenty have been defeated.
Time and persistance.
And it would need to be worldwide due to travel.
I think the word we seek is manageable to an acceptable degree (ie - how many can die)
Who wants to play God?

Smallpox?
Time and persistance.
I think the word we seek is manageable to an acceptable degree (ie - how many can die)
Who wants to play God?

I’m no expert but Covid strikes me as a virus like flu which we need to manage and learn to live with.

According to this article, 17,000 die every year in England of flu. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/12797578/flu-how-many-people-die-year/amp/

A
re these the kinds of numbers which is ‘acceptable’ for Covid and is zero Covid/eradicating it really possible?

That’s a good question, but COVID isn’t quite flu. Flu is nasty and does indeed kill thousands a year, but there is no ‘long flu’ tying up resources, or wards full of patients nearly dying of flu. The world needs vaccines that brings the danger of COVID to something like flu levels - then we can relax. As it is, we are nowhere near that and will need some level of non-pharmaceutical interventions, for at least part of each year, for a long time yet.

That’s a good question, but COVID is quite flu. Flu is nasty and does indeed kill thousands a year, but there is no ‘long flu’ tying up resources, or wards full of patients nearly dying of flu. The world needs vaccines that brings the danger of COVID to something like flu levels - then we can relax. As it is, we are nowhere near that and will need some level of non-pharmaceutical interventions, for at least part of each year, for a long time yet.

Agreed.

That’s a good question, but COVID is quite flu. Flu is nasty and does indeed kill thousands a year, but there is no ‘long flu’ tying up resources, or wards full of patients nearly dying of flu. The world needs vaccines that brings the danger of COVID to something like flu levels - then we can relax. As it is, we are nowhere near that and will need some level of non-pharmaceutical interventions, for at least part of each year, for a long time yet.

Yes, my point is that Covid like flu seems to evade vaccines (at least a little) and has an ability to mutate to survive. Like flu it could very well become endemic and be a virus we need to learn to manage and live with.

The UK may find itself in a position in the not too distant future where it can live quite normally alongside Covid, but we're not totally out of the woods until the whole world is. That could be years.

That’s a good question, but COVID isn’t quite flu. Flu is nasty and does indeed kill thousands a year, but there is no ‘long flu’ tying up resources, or wards full of patients nearly dying of flu. The world needs vaccines that brings the danger of COVID to something like flu levels - then we can relax. As it is, we are nowhere near that and will need some level of non-pharmaceutical interventions, for at least part of each year, for a long time yet.
Who remembers AIDS and the death warrant that was.
Now - it is all but irradicted in those that take the medication, to a level that is undectable unless you go to ultra testing.
We will get there, in time.

Smallpox?
Time and persistance.
Who wants to play God?
Smallpox is the only one to have been eradicated.

Pretty innocuous Sky news vid about reopening on the 17th, until you read the comments that is, you suddenly realise how many nutters are about

Pretty innocuous Sky news vid about reopening on the 17th, until you read the comments that is, you suddenly realise how many nutters are about

I was convinced that was Paul Whitehouse putting on a novelty accent. I also see what you mean about British QAnon mouthbreathers thronging to the comments section. They are as big a threat as the bloody virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back