advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incomprehensible idiocy. The important thing there to my mind is the safety of the NHS staff and other patients. If pigshit ignorant morons want to kill themselves and perfectly willing members of their family may as well let Darwinism do its thing.
Time for the Isle of Wight to be set up as a quarantine centre for anti-vaxers and COVID deniers. No hospitals or medical staff unless they are anti-vaxers too.

From South Africa, but true for most of SE Asia too
"To me it would be unconscionable that a country like the US or UK to start vaccinating low risk young people, when we here in Africa haven't even started vaccinating healthcare workers and the elderly.

"At the rate at which things are going, that is what's going to happen," he warned.

I've done a bit more than whingeing; ongoing campaigning at work for Covid-19 Secure Measures and also emails holding those (that should know better) who break the rules to account.

I have also fired off an email to my Local MP with my concerns- which are largely in line with those written here- although I've yet to receive a response...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is doing this here. I don't follow this thread all the time; it has been incredibly useful as important news has turned up here before the press releases! :)

Fair comment and yes I have read your posts, completely feel for you and what you are having to do at work. While I am sure there are others like yourself I can't help but feel that some of those most vocal on this thread are doing little more than preaching to the converted. You are right about this thread being useful and I will once again single out gavreid who has been excellent in providing information and balanced comment throughout the pandemic.

At the very least I would encourage people to contact their MP about their dissatisfaction with the whole way the pandemic has been handled and to keep the pressure on. Unfortunately my MP is Liz Truss and every reply I get from her seems to find a way to say the same thing... that Boris and co. are wonderful. It's sickening frankly!

CWS
143630736_1288319804871501_7946915636477099155_o.jpg

From South Africa, but true for most of SE Asia too
"To me it would be unconscionable that a country like the US or UK to start vaccinating low risk young people, when we here in Africa haven't even started vaccinating healthcare workers and the elderly.

"At the rate at which things are going, that is what's going to happen," he warned.
Calum Semple, Professor of Outbreak Medicine and Child Health at Liverpool highlighted the failures in logical thinking associated with vaccine nationalism. While it’s the first responsibility of a government to protect the public, you can’t protect them in the longer term if you fail to cooperate with other nations to ensure vaccination as a global effort. The virus is still in circulation, it will antigenically shift, it will renter your national bubble from ‘foreign’ reservoirs and your herd immunity will be side stepped in one move.

Global warming and other impacts associated with human population growth are already increasing the incidence of arbovirus disease as insect vectors move into countries previously too cold for them to become established. You can now get West Nile Fever in North Dakota and Japanese Encephalitis from a walk in Central Park.

You can have all the clever mRNA vaccine and anti-replication drug technology in the world but you’re essentially bringing a spoon to a knife fight if you don’t address the basic environmental and human health drivers at global level. Recent undermining of WHO and climate accords are for me a sad indication that we are unlikely to win this one.

You can have all the clever mRNA vaccine and anti-replication drug technology in the world but you’re essentially bringing a spoon to a knife fight if you don’t address the basic environmental and human health drivers at global level. Recent undermining of WHO and climate accords are for me a sad indication that we are unlikely to win this one.

Very sobering, but correct opinion IMV.

I've also reflected on the amount of waste increase there has been with the (correct) use of PPE, for example. We need ingenuity to also go to plastic recycling, and the reinvigoration of public transport, for example.

Given that the corona virus is a Zoonotic disease, the world will not be safe until we take care of animal welfare and husbandry, it's as simple as that; the vaccine program, as important as it is, is just putting a plaster on the issue.

Was talking to one of the regulars on the morning dog walk, he's the manager of a Sainsbury's branch south of the river ( Borough I think). He said he has staff dropping like flies, a lot of customers who refuse to wear masks and who get abusive and aggressive when challenged. Apparently they are looking for the confrontation, he said a lot are builders, often with cards on lanyards saying they are exempt (as they go one to buy 40 fags). He chucked someone out yesterday,who then announced he would take the goods without paying and tried to call the police on him when stopped, claiming assault. Also getting abuse from mask-wearers complaining about people not wearing them. No support from the company.
I know his wife has health issues and being at increased risk at work must concern him.

Was talking to one of the regulars on the morning dog walk, he's the manager of a Sainsbury's branch south of the river ( Borough I think). He said he has staff dropping like flies, a lot of customers who refuse to wear masks and who get abusive and aggressive when challenged. Apparently they are looking for the confrontation, he said a lot are builders, often with cards on lanyards saying they are exempt (as they go one to buy 40 fags). He chucked someone out yesterday,who then announced he would take the goods without paying and tried to call the police on him when stopped, claiming assault. Also getting abuse from mask-wearers complaining about people not wearing them. No support from the company.
I know his wife has health issues and being at increased risk at work must concern him.

There’s legislation in place to protect employees and other members of the public from this behaviour and I’m puzzled about why it’s not being enforced. I suppose it’s because there are elected politicians still claiming it’s an assault on their freedoms and that mask wearing is a lifestyle choice people should be allowed to make for themselves? Then there’s the outright conspiracy theorists like UKIP idiot Gerrard Batten inciting the mob along with newspaper mouthpieces Oakeshott, Pearson and Toby Young.
Time for Boris Johnson to show some leadership even if it’s late in the day.

Given that the corona virus is a Zoonotic disease, the world will not be safe until we take care of animal welfare and husbandry, it's as simple as that; the vaccine program, as important as it is, is just putting a plaster on the issue.

Too many people on this planet. Nobody should have more than 2 kids.

Too many people on this planet. Nobody should have more than 2 kids.

That is a crass thing to say and I'm bored that I have to go through it every time. It doesn't matter how many people there are on the planet, cos if you treat animals like shit then you reap what you sow. As to playing god with who can have kids, well I can't remember how many times I've had that conversation; exactly how are we going to do that? Sterilize the poor and uneducated?

That is a crass thing to say and I'm bored that I have to go through it every time. It doesn't matter how many people there are on the planet, cos if you treat animals like shit then you reap what you sow. As to playing god with who can have kids, well I can't remember how many times I've had that conversation; exactly how are we going to do that? Sterilize the poor and uneducated?

Cart/horse. You will not get animals treated well until population growth at least stops, or a very much larger percentage go vegetarian.
All possible financial incentives (within UK and International Aid) to have a maximum of 2 kids would help. I'm sure you could think of some instead of insults if you tried.

The average births per woman has been falling since the mid-60s from more than 5 to just over 2 today. It's about education, poverty, oppression and women's role in society, access to birth control, right wing regimes etc etc

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

EU sends investigators into a Belgian Astra vaccine plant - this is getting ugly...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...es-investigation-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-plant

I believe the early AZ vaccines used here were made in Holland too. It would be better to get full disclosure on what has happened here. I understand how desperate Johnson is for positive PR even if that is his usual "positive" by virtue of someone else having a more serious problem - that has become his stock in trade.

I believe the early AZ vaccines used here were made in Holland too. It would be better to get full disclosure on what has happened here. I understand how desperate Johnson is for positive PR even if that is his usual "positive" by virtue of someone else having a more serious problem - that has become his stock in trade.

They were as I understand things and I believe that some/most (?) may still be. The big risk in the current strategy is many missing their second doses, owing to supply problems, until it's too late - whenever too late is.

Has anyone seen any info re the "production issues" at AZ??
I vaguely recall there being some kerfuffle a couple of weeks ago, when AZ (I think) wanted to ramp down production at a couple of sites, to introduce improvements to the process that would lead to greater capacity. I wonder if they're connected? ISTR Boris got a bit high handed with them about that.

Has anyone seen any info re the "production issues" at AZ??

It's techical problems of scale-up so they've been saying. The plant cells involved produce the vaccine at differing rates. There may well be issues relating to heating and cooling on the scales involved too - the heat capacity of water is very large. These are often tricky matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back