advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The petition to get this listed for commons debate is doing the rounds again.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Can there be a reasonable doubt that the current problems are mainly down to the new variant, when you see graphs which separate out the cases by variant and the new one is the one that’s moving so fast? What I’m saying is, without the new variant things would have been hard, but manageable. With the new variant we may soon see medieval scenes of people agonising in tents in the hospital car park on the telly.

Here’s something I read earlier that has a go at making an analogy. I realise it isn’t gospel as it isn’t from Twitter, but you can’t win ’em all!

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...boris-johnson-covid-pandemic-lockdown/617546/

Here’s something I read earlier that has a go at making an analogy. I realise it isn’t gospel as it isn’t from Twitter, but you can’t win ’em all!

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...boris-johnson-covid-pandemic-lockdown/617546/
I think it's fair. Especially the point about not getting better control of the number of cases increasing the chance of nasty new variants.

It's also far from obvious that the November semi-lockdown and the tier system would have been enough, even if the virus hadn't mutated, though the new variant does make things worse.

And even if those measures had been "enough", the intention seems to have been to keep the number of deaths bobbing along at a few hundred every day. Totally unacceptable in my view.

The dates do seem to be shifting backwards, I’ll be very lucky to get the first jab this tax year now. Looks like anything up to late October before the second jab is available.

Same here - do you not go earlier with an underlying condition?

Saw that thanks but the predicted dates have a range c4 weeks.
Boris announced that the target for the first four priority groups which covers 70 and above was by mid-Feb. so wonder if this is split by each group somewhere or is it just the usual off the cuff bollox?
It’s Johnson doing what he always does and sugaring the pill. To meet his promise of the first 4 priority groups done by mid Feb we’d have to average 2 million injections a week, and that’s just to give those groups the first jab.

There’s no way it will be met, IMO.

One of my sisters, a GP, had her first jab last week. She was told she’d get the 2nd in 12 weeks, then that it would be 3 weeks, and yesterday was told that it had all been a mistake that she was given it at all and wouldn’t be getting the 2nd. Tossers.

That’s the reason Boris did it, the focus group must have told him that 85% wanted it. He should benefit in the polls.

(OMG! That’s your fault. You’ve made me as cynical as you are. I’m out of here, fast.)
Ha, I'm actually more cynical than this. Support for lockdown was already very high - it's never been a problem. I don't think they care about public opinion. They care about doing the absolute bare minimum to stave off the total collapse of the health system. They u-turned because they realised they'd miscalculated what this bare minimum actually was.

I think it's fair. Especially the point about not getting better control of the number of cases increasing the chance of nasty new variants.

It's also far from obvious that the November semi-lockdown and the tier system would have been enough, even if the virus hadn't mutated, though the new variant does make things worse.

And even if those measures had been "enough", the intention seems to have been to keep the number of deaths bobbing along at a few hundred every day. Totally unacceptable in my view.
Might have to rethink my previous post (some of it, anyway) as evidence that the new variant is much more infectious is firming up:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1346573421698809857

Like I've said before, exponential growth is a bastard and the human brain is not well-adapted to understand it, which compounds (ha!) the problem.

Same here - do you not go earlier with an underlying condition?

Yes, that is counting diabetes. I wasn’t specifically asked to shelter, but I’ve got a medical exemption card (free prescriptions), annual flu jabs etc, so I’m certainly ahead of my core age range. The calculator says between 12,305,865 and 18,991,925 ahead of me, which still puts me in the top third of the population. It’s a lot of people to elbow out of the way though.

It’s Johnson doing what he always does and sugaring the pill. To meet his promise of the first 4 priority groups done by mid Feb we’d have to average 2 million injections a week, and that’s just to give those groups the first jab.

There’s no way it will be met, IMO.

Agreed - middle aged diabetic here. 12 million - 19 million peeps ahead of me in the queue. At 500k/week I'm not expecting a jab this year.

One of my sisters, a GP, had her first jab last week. She was told she’d get the 2nd in 12 weeks, then that it would be 3 weeks, and yesterday was told that it had all been a mistake that she was given it at all and wouldn’t be getting the 2nd. Tossers.

Jeez...

At 500k/week I'm not expecting a jab this year.

Given where we are right now (exponential transmission, NHS approaching collapse etc) really the only option the government has left on the table is to scale up vaccine delivery as the country can’t really leave lockdown until that point. I guess some of the alt-right anti-science lot at the heart of this clown shower may still be banking on “herd immunity”, i.e. just sit back and let hundreds of thousands die, but there would be a big political price for that.

A couple of golf corses in KL became spreaders and had to be closed down

Bridle paths and parks around my way far more likely to assist in spreading that golf courses. But only the select few play golf....:rolleyes:

PS I'm in the UK, not KL - so the social distancing rules may differ at the respective venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back