advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not convinced that BJ will be punished at the ballot box. Spoken to a few non-political types & they see current situation as ‘one of those things’, Labour wouldn’t have done any better etc.

People seem to be oblivious to how much the NHS has been run down over the last 10 years.

Anyway, this is the last thing I will say on here as it isn’t really helping me or anyone else.

Can I just remind certain posters that we are a very wealthy country. That wealth needs spreading out a bit. Most people on this website are sitting on estates worth between about £300k and over a million, some much more.
It is wrong that lots of people can’t feed their kids and dare not get tested because their financial resilience extends to the weekend at best.
The really sad bit is they work in the dangerous jobs, the ones that keep the country running.

Can I just remind certain posters that we are a very wealthy country.

Im happy to pay my part of any recovery measures. But your comment really is a sweeping statement that takes no account of the individual circumstances of others posting on here, what they’ve got, and indeed how they got there.

More controversially, on a different topic, the NHS isn’t as efficient as some think it is. The front line staff in general work their butts off, but elsewhere...

Can I just remind certain posters that we are a very wealthy country. That wealth needs spreading out a bit. Most people on this website are sitting on estates worth between about £300k and over a million, some much more.
It is wrong that lots of people can’t feed their kids and dare not get tested because their financial resilience extends to the weekend at best.

The problem is that we have a conservative government. I’m sure that they’ll take some of the costs of covid from estate taxes but this is a really sensitive area for conservatives - the same for capital gains tax and business taxes. Austerity measures, justified by rhetoric about necessity and British resilience and self sacrifice, combined with increases in VAT and NI and income tax seem to me more on the cards, especially with a workforce which has zero negotiation power, so the increased taxation won’t necessariIly lead to increased wages and the threat of inflation can be controlled.

I said, on a previous version of this thread, months ago to get ready for the tax increases that will be needed to pay this off.
There’s no need for tax increases in the short term. Long term it’s a question of *who* will pay. That’s a political question and its not settled forever. I think we’ve seen over the course of the pandemic whose work contributes to social wealth and well-being and whose consists solely in siphoning wealth off, from the public purse or their employees. Young people have certainly had an eyeful.

I expect the Tories to come out of this with their 40% intact, at least, and they’ll do their best to make the poor pay. Longer term everything they stand for is utterly discredited. What happens when they’re gone I don’t know, but there’s no necessary reason for ordinary people to foot the bill for all this in perpetuity.

Im happy to pay my part of any recovery measures. But your comment really is a sweeping statement that takes no account of the individual circumstances of others posting on here, what they’ve got, and indeed how they got there.

More controversially, on a different topic, the NHS isn’t as efficient as some think it is. The front line staff in general work their butts off, but elsewhere...
It’s too efficient and that’s one of the problems.

I couldn’t care less about how they or I got there, I don’t need a medal! Ok I appreciate there are differing circumstances but I’m talking about wealth, the estate you leave when you die.

Glasto cancelled again. No doubt it will be the same for other key summer events. I’m thinking 2021 is going to be another complete write off.

As I have said before we're not going to be back to anything like normal for a very long time. I'll have a bet with anyone now that there'll be no Glastonbury in 2022 either!

The really sad bit is they work in the dangerous jobs, the ones that keep the country running.
Then I'm completely out of my depth and on the wrong website. 'Fraid I'll have to shoot you all when the revolution comes.

As I have said before we're not going to be back to anything like normal for a very long time. I'll have a bet with anyone now that there'll be no Glastonbury in 2022 either!

I wouldn’t take that bet. I was watching the Glasto highlights late on NYE (quite loud after a decent drink...), thinking it’s going to be a long, long time before we see scenes like that again.

Then I'm completely out of my depth and on the wrong website. 'Fraid I'll have to shoot you all when the revolution comes.
Good grief! Tony, Tony, there is a poor person here!! Flatty roll your virtual sleeves up, he needs the bums rush pronto!!!

Can I just remind certain posters that we are a very wealthy country. That wealth needs spreading out a bit. Most people on this website are sitting on estates worth between about £300k and over a million, some much more.It is wrong that lots of people can’t feed their kids and dare not get tested because their financial resilience extends to the weekend at best.

I own half of a house worth maybe £220k on a good day, and pension income of about £9K - what do you think I should be doing?? I'm not asking for a fight, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

I couldn’t care less about how they or I got there, I don’t need a medal! Ok I appreciate there are differing circumstances but I’m talking about wealth, the estate you leave when you die.
What would you suggest happens to such estates?

Edit. Crossed posts with cliiftaylor, the questions stand though.

I am not convinced that BJ will be punished at the ballot box.

People seem to be oblivious to how much the NHS has been run down over the last 10 years.
He may not, and they are. The NHS is like insurance, nobody wants to pay for it until they need to make a claim, then if it's inadequate it's someone else's fault. The UK electorate didn't vote for the party that invests most in the NHS, after all.

I own half of a house worth maybe £220k on a good day, and pension income of about £9K - what do you think I should be doing?? I'm not asking for a fight, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Neither do I want a fight yet we boomers have done very well with very little effort on our part. There have been several times in my life that my house has been earning more than me just by not falling down. My real point is that we should be actively looking at ways to redistribute wealth.
Perhaps we could start with inheritance tax? I live a long way north so my property is not expensive but if I croak the estate will be worth a fair bit. Can’t see why my rather talented daughters shouldn’t be taxed at at least 50% probably 75%.
Also if I go into care all my assets should be sold and used to pay for that care etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back