advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point here on what terrible swine the public are:

https://twitter.com/elliemaeohagan/status/1341313240681345025?s=21

That reminds me of a TV programme I once saw about Brixton. It was when people would commonly say that Brixton was dangerous, full of druggies and drunks and thieves. And this guy on the TV programme did and experiment: he walked around Electric Avenue with a £50 note dangling out of his back pocket on a Friday night. And what happened? Nothing -- except for the fact that people kept stopping him to tell him that he's got a £50 note hanging out of his back pocket.

Still I think the "problem" about the public and COVID is a bit deeper than that twitter thing suggests. The problem is that to control it, you have to behave in a way which works against entrenched dispositions, like the disposition to be close to others for work or play, or just to go out to feel the sun on your face when you feel fine (but have a +ve test result.)

I think it's true that

the state has the power to determine the difference between success and failure .

or rather, I think the state has more power than any individual to determine success or failure. But as you know I'm anxious that the power may be harsh in the enforcement. I was hoping that the vaccine would come quickly enough to stop harsh measures being necessary -- that hope is getting dimmer and dimmer every day.

That reminds me of a TV programme I once saw about Brixton. It was when people would commonly say that Brixton was dangerous, full of druggies and drunks and thieves. And this guy on the TV programme did and experiment: he walked around Electric Avenue with a £50 note dangling out of his back pocket on a Friday night. And what happened? Nothing -- except for the fact that people kept stopping him to tell him that he's got a £50 note hanging out of his back pocket.

Still I think the "problem" about the public and COVID is a bit deeper than that twitter thing suggests. The problem is that to control it, you have to behave in a way which works against entrenched dispositions, like the disposition to get together with other people to work, to be close to others for work or play, or just to go out to feel the sun on your face when you feel fine (but have a +ve test result.)

I think it's true that

or rather, I think the state has more power than any individual to determine success or failure. But as you know I'm anxious that the power may be harsh in the enforcement. I was hoping that the vaccine would come quick enough to stop harsh measures being implementing -- that hope is getting dimmer and dimmer every day.
Well, Tier 4 is coming to us very soon. I've just been shopping in 2 shops, unfortunately in Bradford. I knew there was a reason I avoided it. 10% of customers are unmasked and social distancing is non-existent. I actually challenged one guy, he literally shouldered me out of the way. No mask of course. I suggested he'd forgotten his mask, he pretended not to understand. I carried on. Gesturing at my own mask I repeated "I think you're forgotten your mask" "No mask. Not got mask". "You need to get one then". A shrug and he walked away. More of the same in the other shop. I'm coming round to Richard Lines's view, we should get the army in and fking assassinate the bastards. It's the only way to ensure that those not following the rules only kill themselves. Bastards. They wouldn't fking do it again.

Looks like I'll be in a Tier 4 zone from Boxing Day:

3y1yybl8tq99.png

From https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08dd27861d08e0#block-5fe35e518f08dd27861d08e0

PS I didn't get the job I had the interview for. I got as far as having a second interview, and I think I almost got it, but they ended up hiring someone with a bit of experience more relevant to the sector.

Still I think the "problem" about the public and COVID is a bit deeper than that twitter thing suggests. The problem is that to control it, you have to behave in a way which works against entrenched dispositions, like the disposition to get together with other people to work, to be close to others for work or play, or just to go out to feel the sun on your face when you feel fine (but have a +ve test result.)

I think it's true that

or rather, has more power than any individual. But as you know I'm anxious that the power may be harsh in the enforcement. I was hoping that the vaccine would come quick enough to stop harsh measures being implementing -- that hope is getting dimmer and dimmer every day.
I think the key point is not only that people are more than capable of foregoing nice and familiar things for the greater good, but also that they’re more likely to do so if they think others are doing it too. If they think other people are selfish swine hoarding toilet rolls and having 100-strong swingers parties in their council houses, which they paid for out of their bleedin taxes, then they’re less likely to forego these things. And guess which message the government and the press have been firing at us 24/7 since March?

Any course of action requiring solidarity is up against almost insuperable obstacles in the UK because of the malignancy of the press and of the Conservative Party. I don’t really know what the answer is but I know what their answer is: brutal enforcement. It won’t work, but it will work for them, because it means more resentment, division and fear. I think, as you know, the thing that would work is massive levels of unconditional support - but of course, that’s something that isn’t possible in this country, precisely because of the press and because of the Conservative Party.

It’s quite the conundrum.

Hancock saying that yet another new mutation/variant has arrived in the UK from South Africa.

2020: the sh**t that just keeps giving.

According to radio 1 dose of Pfizer gives 91% protection 2 doses gives 95%, seems a nobrainer to give only 1 dose so that twice as many get protection. Ditto the Oxford one I believe though the figures are not quite as impressive.
Also should the ‘most at risk’ get absolute priority, surely better to protect other groups so that more of the population can get back to more normal functionality.
Rarely do I agree with Tony Blair but I think he’s got some points here.

Tony Blair was on R4 this morning arguing that we should be only giving out the single dose to get more people a base immunisation, rather than giving the two doses to a single bunch.

Argument being that vaccines will be coming on line quick enough that by the time person A is ready for dose number two then they'll be able to get it from another batch rather than saving their second dose from batch one.

I'd like to know how much international travel is going on (and indeed has gone on) this year - Heathrow alone is showing 70 flights arriving today between 10.00 and 15.30; even allowing for some of those being freight, it sounds like the virus is being shipped around the planet faster than it could have ever hoped.

Tony Blair was on R4 this morning arguing that we should be only giving out the single dose to get more people a base immunisation, rather than giving the two doses to a single bunch.

Argument being that vaccines will be coming on line quick enough that by the time person A is ready for dose number two then they'll be able to get it from another batch rather than saving their second dose from batch one.
But will that work or could it be risky, in the way that not completing a course of antibiotics is risky?

But will that work or could it be risky, in the way that not completing a course of antibiotics is risky?

Apparently a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine gives you 91%, versus 95% for both doses. Blairs argument was even if one dose only gives you 50-60% then we should be doing that as it is better than leaving loads of people on 0%

I don't think this is any sort of two-part magical potion that doesn't work without the other part, you just get two doses of the same stuff.

Apparently a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine gives you 91%, versus 95% for both doses. Blairs argument was even if one dose only gives you 50-60% then we should be doing that as it is better than leaving loads of people on 0%

I don't think this is any sort of two-part magical potion that doesn't work without the other part, you just get two doses of the same stuff.
And I don't think anybody has argued that the 3 week window between doses is critical either. I think it's correct to say that you shouldn't have the second dose within 2 weeks, but I would suspect that the 'booster' dose could probably be given within a couple of months of the initial dose and still do the trick. The question seems to be whether just having the first dose means the protection isn't as long-term as having both doses.

Looks like I'll be in a Tier 4 zone from Boxing Day:

3y1yybl8tq99.png

From https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08dd27861d08e0#block-5fe35e518f08dd27861d08e0

PS I didn't get the job I had the interview for. I got as far as having a second interview, and I think I almost got it, but they ended up hiring someone with a bit of experience more relevant to the sector.

On the PS - Onwards and upwards. The job I’ll be starting in January came along unexpectedly, shortly after an interview I had and failed at - the feedback from that interview was invaluable in the unexpected subsequent interview & getting the job. Obvs you probably know this, just expressing solidarity!

On the PS - Onwards and upwards. The job I’ll be starting in January came along unexpectedly, shortly after an interview I had and failed at - the feedback from that interview was invaluable in the unexpected subsequent interview & getting the job. Obvs you probably know this, just expressing solidarity!

Thanks Dave. It was actually a very different job to what I've been doing for the last 20 years or so but it would have been ideally suited for my key skills, so it was a bit of a bummer falling at the last hurdle.

You’ve got to ask yourself how many people on the flights from South Africa are ardent followers of the Governments Press conference and even know they need to isolate immediately?. Probably out Christmas shopping, working or getting on with their lives. I think it would be easier if they had people tracking them down and kindly asking them to stay in doors. Rather than expect them to watch the TV to find out.

32 237 new cases today, up more than 60 % on the week (meaning the tiers aren't working, hence the actions noted above), 744 deaths (no longer flat I'm sorry to say this close to Christmas - up 20% on the week in fact) and no new hospital data.

This isn't the case for vulnerable people with compromised immune systems.

There's still a good case for those people to have 2 jabs at a defined interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back