advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
After quite a few months of continuously feeling crap, sweats, muscle aches, headaches etc I decided I'd try an antibody test on the off chance it may pick up some covid antibodies and perhaps explain these 'long covid' like symptoms; Not a sausage, count was 0.07. The news that the antibodies drop away rapidly after infection throws up a sobering possibility of people having long covid and zero immunity to second infection....

I've not read anything that suggest Covid 19 is any different in its epidemiological impact from other similar Coronaviruses.

(Though of course it may differ in infection, symptoms and outcomes).

So quite where these ideas that we can 'beat it' with a vaccine or any form of 'herd immunity' comes from.

Stephen

First children, now the NHS, Tories just love starving things whilst siphoning £bns of tax revenue into their mates back pockets. NHS short by £1bn of what it needs to deal with covid 19 this winter (Guardian).

SAGE advisor saying we need another full lockdown to get virus back under control.

Boris's response:

Boris-HNH.jpg

Another sobering discussion on Radio 4 news at lunchtime, discussing the apparent lack of antibody persistence with respect to Covid 19. It was good, however, to see that we are beginning to get antibody data in finally. It's part of the triumvirate of factors we need to attempt to mitigate the virus' effects on society.

Though the vaccine guy (missed his name) hoped that exposure to the virus would help other immune system responses in the case of a second infection, it does look likely that a vaccine (or cocktail of vaccines) will not provide the protection many hope for.

We really need to up our rapid testing, tracing and isolation system pretty damn quick if we want to avoid turning a crisis into an existential crisis.

Stephen

I think the slight lull of the past 4 or 5 days might be over - 367 deaths reported today, 22 885 positives. Hospital admissions have not been updated, yet again...

Though the vaccine guy (missed his name) hoped that exposure to the virus would help other immune system responses in the case of a second infection, it does look likely that a vaccine (or cocktail of vaccines) will not provide the protection many hope for.

Vaccines will still work, you will just need to take them more often. The situation is much the same as the common cold in that infection can occur within 6-12 months and as that is a coronavirus it is not surprising. Anyone who thought a vaccine would bring about the end of this was always naive, but it will still be a huge help.

Vaccines will still work, you will just need to take them more often. The situation is much the same as the common cold in that infection can occur within 6-12 months and as that is a coronavirus it is not surprising. Anyone who thought a vaccine would bring about the end of this was always naive, but it will still be a huge help.

Point of fact: not all common colds are caused by coronaviruses. I can't remember the exact percentage, but the majority are caused by rhinoviruses.

I get the impression many do think a vaccine is that silver bullet—Trump and Johnson amongst them.

If Covid 19 vaccines are as effective as other Coronavirus vaccines, are we prepared to accept the extra deaths each year that will result? Flu+Covid could be a real killer on a bad year.

Stephen

I get the impression many do think a vaccine is that silver bullet—Trump and Johnson amongst them.

If Covid 19 vaccines are as effective as other Coronavirus vaccines, are we prepared to accept the extra deaths each year that will result? Flu+Covid could be a real killer on a bad year.

Stephen

AIUI, there is still a lot of unknowns with regards to the long term population reaction to Covid-19. Over time, we could end up reacting to it like a bad head cold, it's still not a given that it'll always be as deadly as 'flu.

If Covid 19 vaccines are as effective as other Coronavirus vaccines, are we prepared to accept the extra deaths each year that will result?

What choice do we have? As I have said before we are going to see societal changes because of this, but ultimately we will have to find a blend of vaccines, treatments and alterations to the way we live that allow us to have a new normality that is not always going to be around hiding away. There are an awful lot of things we could do that would help us live with it, it just depends on people's appetite for change.

I think the slight lull of the past 4 or 5 days might be over - 367 deaths reported today, 22 885 positives. Hospital admissions have not been updated, yet again...

There is often a delay in the reporting of deaths over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back