advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you think it would have changed the way the government would have responded to COVID?
I imagine there would have been less grift, posturing and bluster, and somewhat more focus on actual deliverables, for starters. If your local party chairman is losing friends and family on all sides, you’re not going to be allowed to bung your mates a few million in exchange for a few sound bites and a donation to party funds. Results would be required.

I imagine there would have been less grift, posturing and bluster, and somewhat more focus on actual deliverables, for starters. If your local party chairman is losing friends and family on all sides, you’re not going to be allowed to bung your mates a few million in exchange for a few sound bites and a donation to party funds. Results would be required.

So same strategy, but you think more effectively implemented because better people would have been doing the implementation?

So same strategy, but you think more effectively implemented because better people would have been doing the implementation?
Well, probably. The first lockdown made sense, and compliance was good. Using the time it bought to develop a proper T&T system rather than the chocolate teapot we found we’d been sold. Some coherence on strategy for schools, etc, and a more inclusive financial support model for business, and self employed. Oh, and getting proper PPE, and plenty of it, good and early.

Yes maybe this is what Sean was getting at when he said that the course maximises suffering and death - that the implementation of the strategy maximises it, rather the approach itself. I can see that.

We’ll have to see but I think we need to learn to live with it, these restrictions going forward won’t be sustainable.

I agree.

Naturally, everyone is scared & wants to KNOW the best course of action, but we simply don’t. My guess, having discussed the issues at length with several here in NL whose work is with public health authorities, is that when the dust finally settles, relatively speaking & likely some years from now, we will realise how misplaced have been the decisions we made, including the misinterpretation of statistics.

In the meantime we blunder ever onwards.

The Black Death pandemic lasted 400 years in fact the last known out break was back in the seventies.

So you had better get used to this because, undoubtedly, we are only at the very start of this pandemic.
Latest thinking is that the Black Death was a combination of pneumonic and bubonic plague and it was the combination that made it so more deadly than later outbreaks of bubonic plague which as you say continued into more recent times.

Which is why we should be prepared for an outbreak of flu. We have a vaccine for flu so it should be easy, yet despite having 6 months to prepare, flu jabs are still not available

Latest thinking is that the Black Death was a combination of pneumonic and bubonic plague and it was the combination that made it so more deadly than later outbreaks of bubonic plague which as you say continued into more recent times.

Which is why we should be prepared for an outbreak of flu. We have a vaccine for flu so it should be easy, yet despite having 6 months to prepare, flu jabs are still not available

Apparently I qualify for a Flu jab in December.

Well, probably. The first lockdown made sense, and compliance was good. Using the time it bought to develop a proper T&T system rather than the chocolate teapot we found we’d been sold. Some coherence on strategy for schools, etc, and a more inclusive financial support model for business, and self employed. Oh, and getting proper PPE, and plenty of it, good and early.
Someone said that, had Johnson not been leading the national response to Covid-19, he’d have been writing a newspaper column attacking the very same response. Now he has a backbench rebellion of 80 of his own Members about to do that for him. They wave through a bill breaking international law but they seek to unpick their own government’s medically-evidenced public health measures with dissent of an intellectual quality rivalling David Icke-

“I am left wondering if the Prime Minister has not been abducted by Dr Strangelove and reprogrammed by the SAGE over to the dark side”.

Even Johnson’s slavish fans are left ‘feeling: :( confused’ like Toby writing in The Spectator, “What on earth happened to the freedom-loving, twinkly-eyed, Rabelaisian character I voted for?”. Quite.

I hear an insatiable and hungry sound rising up: starting like a murmur and gently rising among the orcs and kobolds of the Tory party; “kill, eat, kill, eat, kill, eat, kill eat...”

There’s only one response on the table, Boris’s. Others are just carping - grumbling about contracts to Serco or belly aching about not being allowed to sing in the pub. But strategically, as far as I know, it’s Boris or nothing. What a huge shame there is no COVID strategy from any other party in parliament. Unless I’ve missed it.

Just received this from my dentist:

1. The capacity of all dental practices to provide NHS care is currently very limited

As with all dental providers, we must follow the Covid-19 safety procedures set by the government for NHS dental care. This includes leaving a 60-minute gap after each appointment, called ‘fallow time’. Fallow time is a set period where the surgery must remain empty before the next patient can be seen. We are also required to adhere to strict social distancing. As a result, some of our surgeries are out of use for part of each day and our practices only have around 25% of their usual appointments available.​

Do these rules apply to private dental practices?

New outbreaks in care homes seem to be, let's say, ahead of the official figures...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rus-outbreaks-cast-doubt-on-official-phe-data

Here's a great interview with Michael Rosen too

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...9-coma-it-felt-like-a-pre-death-a-nothingness
Therapeutic anti inflammatory trial aimed at patients in community who would not otherwise be admitted to hospital for Covid treatment- ie care homes. Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN33260034

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back