advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go back to the fundamental point.

Nobody voting for you means it doesn't make any difference what your position is. How much influence has Corbyn had ultimately on what is going on now?

We certainly haven't had a lock down as far as I'm concerned, just business closures and slight restrictions - this was to buy time and it's been wasted I feel

Last edited:
Let's go back to the fundamental point.

Nobody voting for you means it doesn't make any difference what your position is. How much influence has Corbyn had ultimately on what is going on now?
It’s not so much a fundamental point as a truism. You need power to make changes: we get it. But so what?

I’m actually nostalgic for Blair: there was at least some ambition to change things there. By this stage electoral opportunism has become an end in itself. No one even bothers pretending there’s a goal beyond better management of the sh-theap.

If these are effective why not supply one to every school?

Another boarding school, Benenden in Kent, has purchased its own rapid Covid-19 testing machine, the Samba II, for £35,000 plus VAT, with test capsules costing £60 each. The school nurse is on hand to administer each test, and staff have been trained to operate the machine, allowing everyone in the school to be diagnosed on-site with results available in 90 minutes.

Stephen

There's about 33 000 schools in the UK (10m pupils and 0.5m teachers), at £35k that's just £1.1 bn. Seems like pretty good value for money compared with the private testing centres. Whether there are that many machines available for purchase and a good supply of consumables might be another matter....

If these are effective why not supply one to every school?

- Headteacher Samantha Price said she had decided to purchase a testing facility in late August after sensing that NHS testing was going to be “very, very stretched once real life resumed in September”.

Was it just Hancock and Harding that were blind-sided by the increased demand for testing?

There's about 33 000 schools in the UK (10m pupils and 0.5m teachers), at £35k that's just £1.1 bn. Seems like pretty good value for money compared with the private testing centres. Whether there are that many machines available for purchase and a good supply of consumables might be another matter....
Is there any evidence they work?

So the so called governments covid strategy seems to be based around the idea that in situations/settings where money changes hands and profits are made the virus is rendered harmless by capitalism... even with 100 people present... but if you're just wanting to visit a friend or your mam it is deadly? Oh and it only becomes dangerous after 10pm in licensed premises? And that grouse moor heather kills the virus dead if I'm understanding it correctly?

Have I got that right?

Aye but usually by 10pm everyone's well oiled and the real party starts. No more lock ins for a while I afraid :(

Anyway the pubs will have to shut sooner if we have a 10pm curfew :eek:

I assume there’s a discount for quantity.

Stephen

- Headteacher Samantha Price said she had decided to purchase a testing facility in late August after sensing that NHS testing was going to be “very, very stretched once real life resumed in September”.

Was it just Hancock and Harding that were blind-sided by the increased demand for testing?

Harding said no one could predict it.

Even PFM predicted it.

Stephen

For anyone with Facebook the ‘Humans of covid-19’ group is well worth a look. It was set up by some NHS doctors in That London and is a collection of reports from front-line medical staff across the country that really give some insight to what has happening on the ground, the issues they face, and the lengths they go to in order to support very sick or dying patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back