advertisement

Coronavirus, the media and mental health

Just catching up with the replies in here, thanks for all the contributions. I have found some therapy by avoiding the media and spending time in the garden/laying a gravel driveway... tiring, but rewarding.

Yep. I've been limiting myself to one news prog per day. I can see the need for a lot of coverage because it's clear many STILL don't get it. but I don't need wall to wall.

I went for a walk this morning. Shirt sleeve order for the first time this year. I didn't stay out long though because the local footpaths are heaving with people.

It puzzles me though. They are mostly people who look older than me, so I don't understand why they have suddenly appeared. How do they normally get their exercise? Certainly not on the paths I walk. I don't recognise any of them. Very odd.

As I came home I noticed the Rainbows in the windows of the house opposite, where there are two young kids of similar age to my Grandkids. It's a lovely idea which is not only cheering, but also works to help the kids to accept their enforced isolation froom school friends etc.

Spent the afternoon in the garden. Warm enough for 'kit off' mode which was nice, because I've run out of Vit D pills and haven't been doing my customary few minutes a week at the local tanning salon. Obvious reasons.

Trimmed all lawn edges. Bit of weeding. Planted out yet more Aquilegia seedlings.

I found some old Green Bean and Carrot seeds which I'll plant up later and see how they go. Two chances as they say.

Still loads of flower seeds, mostly annuals.. which I can get started. Also plan on a row of spuds just from a few sprouty shop bought spuds. They usually produce a few decent.. or at least edible, spuds.

Still plan to start decorating when the weather turns colder again next week. Improved day length and light levels should help.

Whatsapp conversation between me and older daughter tonight:

She: " We have a hedgehog!!!"
Me: " Congratulations!.... that's one meal sorted...
default_laugh.png
"

She: " He's a big one too..."

Me: " Maybe two meals then?"

She: " Not with this lot.. they won't stop eating...."

We are seeing more unfortunate results of the US media coverage as more and more Americans are becoming mentally stressed beyond rationality and flooding public hospitals desperate for a test. An issue is that people know they might be a carrier yet be asymptomatic. Therefore you have thousands clogging up essential medical facilities for no reason whatsoever other than their natural emotional instability being accentuated by too many opinions across so many media platforms.

The reaction of the public to these news sources is costing lives in itself to be fair isn't it? I've had good friends who are normally highly intelligent and rational ignoring statements by leading professors of infectious diseases and behavioural psychologists, clogging queues almost daily at the GP's or the local hospital. So very very sad. These people just need a little help according to my GP but they simply will not take it from him. He's understandably distressed about that - these are patients he's known for many years.

It's going to be revealing to see what happens after 14 days - 21 days. I really hope that people can start focussing on the amazingly insightful scientists and seek solace in some of their projections based on incoming data. The first issue that surely needs addressing for me is the increased mental stress and resultant mass panic. We then really do need to get on with expanding (and finally investing in) permanent healthcare facilities to cope with the next wave of this - if it is indeed a highly contagious and dangerous seasonal (winter) virus as data is suggesting to experts.

Anyway, best wishes to all, regardless of the battle that you are having to fight at the moment.

Last edited:
I stopped reading news sources about what’s happening in the States.
I suggest you do the same from the tone of your post Roger for your own sake.
I just Skype my son and his wife every night in New York to check they are coping.

Hi Bob. I think everyone should self isolate from all forms of media for 21 days if they have stress related issues and I mean that. Stress is a killer.

I'm far from stressed now. I was a few weeks ago but I gave up trying to stop the tide. I'm saddened by various reactions but I'm now relaxed and actually quite enjoying the distraction if honest. Fascinating to watch on so many levels IMHO. Looking for asymptomatic carriers of information and seeing how the infection spreads is a full time job in itself! Skype and WhatsApp have truly become essential services! I hope your family are well isolated and keeping safe. Too many people in NYC.

Wow 3.2 million Americans jobless in one week! God help them. I hope they are able to get the psychological help that they will now need to remain mentally stable and to not do anything stupid.

Last edited:
Hi Bob. I think everyone should self isolate from all forms of media for 21 days if they have stress related issues and I mean that. Stress is a killer.

I'm far from stressed now. I was a few weeks ago but I gave up trying to stop the tide. I'm saddened by various reactions but I'm now relaxed and actually quite enjoying the distraction if honest. Fascinating to watch on so many levels IMHO. Looking for asymptomatic carriers of information and seeing how the infection spreads is a full time job in itself! Skype and WhatsApp have truly become essential services! I hope your family are well isolated and keeping safe. Too many people in NYC.

Wow 3.2 million Americans jobless in one week! God help them. I hope they are able to get the psychological help that they will now need to remain mentally stable and to not do anything stupid.

Sorry for butting in Roger, but I am not sure delving futher into this is of much value, for peace of mind.
I will not venture out again until I have had a vaccination.

Bloss

Nearly finished my gravel driveway, one more week should see it completed.... lovely weather last week too. Far better than hanging on the media's every word.

How's the windmill coming along ?

Waiting on final confirmation from the planning officer and then I can start properly. For now I've been renovating the floor, tending to some of the brickwork and prepping the land around ready to start the big project (get scaffolding up etc.). Also in the middle of converting a barn on the same land. I'll put up a little website in the next few weeks if people are interested. It's a great project.

Waiting on final confirmation from the planning officer and then I can start properly. For now I've been renovating the floor, tending to some of the brickwork and prepping the land around ready to start the big project (get scaffolding up etc.). Also in the middle of converting a barn on the same land. I'll put up a little website in the next few weeks if people are interested. It's a great project.

If you need any buliding regs for this project my son can help here for you, mind not sure a windmill is covered by this.

Bloss

Just a Bump and a query how all are doing?

The Anxietyacs among us know how this goes.. I've mostly suppressed stuff in the last week or so and managed without any 'chemical support' ( apart from the booze.. obviously) ...by keeping busy, using CBT and other techniques..avoiding excessive news coverage etc.

But the little anxiety bug keeps niggling.. Both kids are now either working from home or 'furloughed' (what a truly ridiculous expression..)

However.. youngest daughters' partner is still working. It's not enough that he served in British Army in Afghanistan... he's now working as a delivery driver.. which is obviously a potential vector for the virus, not something he can 'do from home'.etc..

So.. when I heard nothing from Daughter or partner all day I asked by text....

I then sweated for over an hour as the text went unread... Ridiculous and illogical... but then that is anxiety...

Finally, a response. She's fine but a bit hungover... (To my eternal regret.. she also is an anxietyac and had a couple too many last night..)

The relief is amazing.

Also amazing how we can adjust to circumstances to stay sane..

A few weeks ago penny numbers of deaths from this bug were shocking...

Now we are running at around 700 per day and they are increasingly becoming just numbers.

Let's hope we see a some more hopeful figures soon.

Just a Bump and a query how all are doing?

The Anxietyacs among us know how this goes.. I've mostly suppressed stuff in the last week or so and managed without any 'chemical support' ( apart from the booze.. obviously) ...by keeping busy, using CBT and other techniques..avoiding excessive news coverage etc.

But the little anxiety bug keeps niggling.. Both kids are now either working from home or 'furloughed' (what a truly ridiculous expression..)

However.. youngest daughters' partner is still working. It's not enough that he served in British Army in Afghanistan... he's now working as a delivery driver.. which is obviously a potential vector for the virus, not something he can 'do from home'.etc..

So.. when I heard nothing from Daughter or partner all day I asked by text....

I then sweated for over an hour as the text went unread... Ridiculous and illogical... but then that is anxiety...

Finally, a response. She's fine but a bit hungover... (To my eternal regret.. she also is an anxietyac and had a couple too many last night..)

The relief is amazing.

Also amazing how we can adjust to circumstances to stay sane..

A few weeks ago penny numbers of deaths from this bug were shocking...

Now we are running at around 700 per day and they are increasingly becoming just numbers.

Let's hope we see a some more hopeful figures soon.

Glad to hear you are just about coping. I have largely restricted media input but had a weak moment at 6am this morning. Agreed re. hopeful figures, let’s see how this week goes.

Thanks for asking, Mull.

I’m into a routine of doing a high impact routine from the Les Mills online stuff on even dates, and a Body Balance on the odd days (If you get my drift). That, coupled with piano practice, is giving me enough structure to the day. Plus a bit of working from home.

Not doing any more booze than usual, tbh. Perhaps 6 bottles of beer per week (330).

I am putting my mental health issues to the side, as much as I am able.

My wife is waking in the middle of the night, crying and feeling helpless. It has happened a few times now. ( normally she is very 'in control,' and takes a leader role in most things that she does in her professional life)
Also in the day, I walk into a room, and she is gently weeping.

I have had many mental health issues, and various treatments over decades.

My wife has been a high flyer, with little responsibility apart from to herself. (until she met me...)

I find I am drinking more than I normally do, and have started smoking again. (only recently cut down to zero)

No current meds. for me. I stopped taking Lithium a while ago.

If something comes and tips my balance (daughter and my friends on NHS frontline as I write) then I may find that I lose the plot.

Should the government act and remove the right to even go out for exercise - walk / bike / run, then I fear I would become more than slightly peeved.
What do the idiots NOT sticking to the rules (sunbathing, BBQ, gathering in groups etc really think they are doing.
Are they actually brain dead?

advertisement

Back