advertisement

Coronavirus, the media and mental health

Should the government act and remove the right to even go out for exercise - walk / bike / run, then I fear I would become more than slightly peeved.
What do the idiots NOT sticking to the rules (sunbathing, BBQ, gathering in groups etc really think they are doing.
Are they actually brain dead?

In some cases you are complimenting the individuals in question by suggesting they have a brain...

Going out with the dog each day is the only thing keeping me from going barking mad.

My piano practice and exercise is doing the same for me. Mental fortitude has been a strong suite for me for a long time (apart from when I worked in the NHS). I'm very grateful for the training and psychological testing I've had from the police to be able to remain rational. I know its not something everyone can be during these times...

Should the government act and remove the right to even go out for exercise - walk / bike / run, then I fear I would become more than slightly peeved.
What do the idiots NOT sticking to the rules (sunbathing, BBQ, gathering in groups etc really think they are doing.
Are they actually brain dead?

No, just immensely self centred. I have just been on Hangouts with a friend and colleague who is in London and lives in a flat. He heard a massive commotion outside while we were chatting and looked out of his window (he is on the first floor) to see a group of 10 or so cyclists arguing with the police over being allowed to stop on the street corner and all chat. Apparently they then started whingeing to the officers about not being allowed into one of the parks and stating that as two of them were lawyers they knew best etc. etc. As my friend said, it's a pity they can't be locked up for a night in cells to make them think. The point is they and many others simply think the rules don't apply to them in normal life so this is no different and that is why we will be confined to our houses very shortly. The really stupid thing is these people will still flout the law as they genuinely think they know better than everyone else!

I am putting my mental health issues to the side, as much as I am able.

My wife is waking in the middle of the night, crying and feeling helpless. It has happened a few times now. ( normally she is very 'in control,' and takes a leader role in most things that she does in her professional life)
Also in the day, I walk into a room, and she is gently weeping.

I have had many mental health issues, and various treatments over decades.

My wife has been a high flyer, with little responsibility apart from to herself. (until she met me...)

I find I am drinking more than I normally do, and have started smoking again. (only recently cut down to zero)

No current meds. for me. I stopped taking Lithium a while ago.

If something comes and tips my balance (daughter and my friends on NHS frontline as I write) then I may find that I lose the plot.

I wish you and your wife well. She may need help.

I am putting my mental health issues to the side, as much as I am able.

My wife is waking in the middle of the night, crying and feeling helpless. It has happened a few times now. ( normally she is very 'in control,' and takes a leader role in most things that she does in her professional life)
Also in the day, I walk into a room, and she is gently weeping.

I have had many mental health issues, and various treatments over decades.

My wife has been a high flyer, with little responsibility apart from to herself. (until she met me...)

I find I am drinking more than I normally do, and have started smoking again. (only recently cut down to zero)

No current meds. for me. I stopped taking Lithium a while ago.

If something comes and tips my balance (daughter and my friends on NHS frontline as I write) then I may find that I lose the plot.

Really sorry to hear about your wife, I think people who are usually in control are finding this very difficult. That is definitely one aspect affecting me for sure. I haven't been reduced to tears yet, but an overwhelming sense of wtf are we going to do takes over sometimes. It's not easy to put one's mind in the right place. I find trying to focus on one task is the best thing and ignoring everything else as much as possible e.g. the media. Not easy though, any of this.

Really sorry to hear about your wife, I think people who are usually in control are finding this very difficult. That is definitely one aspect affecting me for sure. I haven't been reduced to tears yet, but an overwhelming sense of wtf are we going to do takes over sometimes. It's not easy to put one's mind in the right place. I find trying to focus on one task is the best thing and ignoring everything else as much as possible e.g. the media. Not easy though, any of this.

Yes.
My wife is very political and is a gannet when it comes to all the fluff blowing about on the media. She is fine, and we are lucky compared to some. It's a count ones blessings moment on a massive scale.
As for tears, I cry at adverts and it only takes a whiff of sad music to send me flying. Bizarre, as I could control it (most if the time) when nursing - in the saddest of situations.
It is different when one has a clear role in a tough situation and one has been trained to manage it.
I empathise with the NHS staff when interviewed who say that they feel embarrassed when being recognised by the public for their role in this crisis.

Focusing on one task is a good plan.
We have a 'one screen on,' rule here. If watching a programme on the TV, then that is all we allow ourselves to do. i.e. no flicking through crap on the ipad, when watching a film. Doesn't always work.

oops, I do go on when I forget what I am writing.

I wish you and your wife well. She may need help.

Thank you.

Mein Schatz is having normal (!) responses to the crisis, and I am glad she is letting it come out sometimes. She is not in a state of high anxiety all the time.
Without going into too much detail, she has elderly parents and my family and friends are NHS so there are many triggers flying about.

I have the same issues, just different experience.

I am a little worried that the media is whipping up an anti cycling/exercise storm. I was out in the peaks earlier today, I only saw solo riders, many are being very sensible by only going on safe routes.

Definitely much quieter than the other weekend. It is perfectly possible for people to exercise in parks while keeping social distancing intact. Photos taken on long lenses often foreshorten perspectives.

I think the general public are following government instructions with only a few idiots acting to type.

I am a little worried that the media is whipping up an anti cycling/exercise storm. I was out in the peaks earlier today, I only saw solo riders, many are being very sensible by only going on safe routes.

Definitely much quieter than the other weekend. It is perfectly possible for people to exercise in parks while keeping social distancing intact. Photos taken on long lenses often foreshorten perspectives.

I think the general public are following government instructions with only a few idiots acting to type.

I'm aware of exceptions to this, locally. Perhaps the police should take a tougher line with them.... ;):confused:

You can see how hard the political decisions are. On the one hand you have to encourage immunity in the population; and on the other you have to "flatten the curve". And you have to do that in a way which will not bankrupt the country; and in a way which will get the people's cooperation; and in a way which doesn't lead to carnage. The non-COVID health issues of confining people are very real too -- child abuse, battered spouses, substance abuse . . .

It would help me if I had more confidence in the government and opposition, but I guess I have to make do with what I've got.

I'm really sorry to read about the mental health issues here. I've had a fairly tough 5 years for various reasons, though I've also been very fortunate that things are working out OK. Exercise, sleep, deep breathing exercise, reducing caffeine and alcohol have all been very helpful, but perhaps above all else I think a sense of purpose related to something over which you do have some control helps.

For many years my purpose was a single minded determination to help my daughter overcome her learning disabilities - and that is still fairly central, though she's doing really well now and needs me less. At the beginning of Feb I started a new tech job, which has been very challenging, and being the sole earner in the house with big fixed outgoings it's also pretty crucial to the family. It has been quite stressful, but also something to focus on, over which I have some control - so for all of the stress I think it has probably helped mentally.

So to sum up, try to find something important to you, or your family/friends, over which you have SOME degree of control, and when you feel that sense of dread and helplessness creeping up you can redirect yourself into the activity over which you have some control. It could be work, tutoring kids or grandkids, focused practice on a hobby you've been wanting to improve at, improving personal fitness, learning something new you've always wanted to know about, fixing something you've not got around to.

There is so much that we have little or no control over at the moment that it's REALLY important to focus on the little things that we can control. Good luck and best wishes to all.

I was thinking today of how some of the pmf'ers on here were doing in this regard? I remember I'd not seen any updates on this thread in a while, so thought I'd ask?

What also reminded me was that I'd spent a good few hours playing/practising my piano this afternoon, and its always been an escape for me. I first got into piano in 2007, after my lovely step-dad got diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. A good friend suggested the piano as being equally therapeutic and frustrating in equal measure. He was right. For me, I'd sooner spend an hour practising or learning some new stuff for the covers band that I'm in, rather than listening to music in general - although there is time for both at the moment.

This, plus exercise is keeping me ok and in check.

I'm just about getting by but my mum is beginning to worry me; her demeanour when I speak to her on the phone suggests she's suffering from (at the moment) mild depression. I guess being widowed last year and now stuck on her own isn't doing her many favours and her coping mechanism - going out for a drive to places - is not an option. I've suggested keeping herself active but all I get is "What's the point?" or regularly ringing her friends just to speak to someone who isn't me but she won't do that either ("They'll get fed up of my whining").

I'm not a mental health expert but knows she needs help before it gets worse. What the **** can I do before it starts affecting me on top of everything else going on?

@Seeker_UK my experiences with working with mental health professionals is they talk about coping strategies. If you feel your mum isn’t displaying solutions, despite the situation, I agree with @sean99 in that it might be worth talking to someone. If she won’t, then you could, to get some advice?

My mum has been on her own since 2007, and it’s not been easy for her. Her world has got smaller, and relatively little issues for her are exponentially bigger. An example is her car not moving for weeks etc becomes a big deal.

Surprisingly a lot of people I've spoken to, including myself, are they're quite enjoying it. Pottering around, getting things done, no worries about time/day etc. I suppose if you're the very social type I can see how you might be struggling.

I've stopped reading any news, I'm not really that bothered as it's mostly the same one day to another, I'll just wait for the phone call from work that it's time to go back and until then just enjoy all this free time.

I'm just about getting by but my mum is beginning to worry me; her demeanour when I speak to her on the phone suggests she's suffering from (at the moment) mild depression. I guess being widowed last year and now stuck on her own isn't doing her many favours and her coping mechanism - going out for a drive to places - is not an option. I've suggested keeping herself active but all I get is "What's the point?" or regularly ringing her friends just to speak to someone who isn't me but she won't do that either ("They'll get fed up of my whining").

I'm not a mental health expert but knows she needs help before it gets worse. What the **** can I do before it starts affecting me on top of everything else going on?

I think she should go for a drive!

That's rough, to be going through this and still in mourning. But on the other hand it could "just" be mourning, still - intensified, given all the time to think about the absence - rather than depression as such. But as others have said, worth getting advice.

advertisement

Back