advertisement

Cordless power tool system?

I’m very much into Ryobi. I buy when there are deals on their site. Typically on a deal you can get a tool with battery or two and charger for the price of a battery. I’ve got a drill, hedge trimmer, mower and a leaf blower. 4x 4AH batteries and 2x 2AH. It’s a good system for domestic use.

+1 for the main brands, I use makita including an old 7.2v stick battery one and a few 12v nicad ones mostly using compatible batteries from eBay.

I don’t like dewalt probably because of the colour.
Festool are very good I have two of their tools but that’s £1.5K gone

So go for a good make and it will last.

Pete

Milwaukee, buy slowly in sales and carefully off gumtree and it didn’t cost too much, fab stuff but suspect you can get as good for diy for less money with Makita, dewalt Hitachi etc

basically pick the one you like the look of, I like red

Thanks all, this has helped me focus.
basically pick the one you like the look of, I like red

I am taken with the relatively understated HiKOKI branding.

I'm going to sleep on it but 2 x 5AH batteries, brushless motors and a 5 year warranty for £229 is looking persuasive

I’ve built a couple of boats with DeWalt so I’d recommend them as a platform. The Bluetooth batteries are a novelty.
Trouble is, they don’t do an equivalent range of garden tools, so I’ve opted for Bosch on that front. Very impressed with their strimmer and hedgepole

My power tool needs somehow landed me with a inexplicably large Festool collection. That's fine and I enjoy using those (and would recommend them) but realistically I should have chosen something like Bosch Blue or Makita, which I would say is the best "compromise" between a reasonable price and something that seems like it will last a long time. A further (potential) benefit is that they are also both making garden tools on the same battery platform (Makita has for a while, Bosch only recently started). I also own the Bosch Blue 12V range and those are also excellent, and honestly powerful enough for most DIY needs in addition to being great for smaller hands.

Oh, and happy that I am not the only one who doesn't like the look of DeWalt (and the fit'n finish seems very slightly second-rate compared to Bosch/Makita IMHO).

Nice looking kit I'm a sucker for anything green, are you using brushed or brushless?
Brushless, I have the biggest 18v drill driver they do and the jigsaw. I intend to get in impact driver but the drill is much more compact than my dewalt was so not had any access issues needing a shorter driver. The drill will wind an 8" screw into sleepers and sink the head without any struggle.

You can also get battery adapters now to run say an 18v marital battery on an 18v dewalt tool. You can standardise to one battery over multiple tools, I keep meaning to get one to run my dewalt drill on the Hitachi batteries. I'd be overvoltage on the dewalt, but killing it over time would be no worse than it sat dormant.

I'm a tradesman and use Makita for nearly all my cordless stuff. It's great but if I was to change I'd probably go with Milwaukee. My pipework press gun is basically Milwaukee aswell as a pipe cutter and cordless air compressor and they're all very good

Any recommendations? Initial thoughts are thoughts from some Youtubing are that; "brushless" is worth it, the big brands are a step up from budget stuff and 18v is OK for my needs. Beyond that I'm clueless.

The tool I really need to get right is the impact driver, it is the one I use most of the two.

Buy this:

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-...ct-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p64637

The dewalt stuff is in that 'rugged enough and priced right that the pros use it', and drivers and cordless drills are right up their street. This set including a carry case and charger is light enough, and stores well. The only downside of this kit is that the batteries are 2Ah, which are their smallest batteries. I'd say though that they have the benefit of being light vs the higher capacity ones.

I bought one of these when I got into cordless tools and now have in addition a DeWalt jigsaw and multitool, and these are just excellent tools. The only corded I have left is a 1/2 inch router.

My power tool needs somehow landed me with a inexplicably large Festool collection. That's fine and I enjoy using those (and would recommend them) but realistically I should have chosen something like Bosch Blue or Makita, which I would say is the best "compromise" between a reasonable price and something that seems like it will last a long time. A further (potential) benefit is that they are also both making garden tools on the same battery platform (Makita has for a while, Bosch only recently started). I also own the Bosch Blue 12V range and those are also excellent, and honestly powerful enough for most DIY needs in addition to being great for smaller hands.

Oh, and happy that I am not the only one who doesn't like the look of DeWalt (and the fit'n finish seems very slightly second-rate compared to Bosch/Makita IMHO).
Nobody other than Festool make a domino machine so if you want one you are limited, I know there are some things that do similar things but they all have large limitations.

Pete

advertisement

Back