advertisement

Cordless power tool system?

I thought a box of Dewalt bits would be impact rated. And they weren’t cheap. Mind you, building a clinker dinghy does go through a lot of screws, all of which are removed later when the epoxy cures!
I’ll look up the make of the ones I use later for you but I will say that as good as most Dewalt gear is (and I think it’s just as good as Makita) their driver bits are bloody awful.

Makita LXT here. Impact driver (brushless), hammer drill, trim router, fan, two quick chargers and 4 batteries. I plan to slowly replace corded items with LXT equivalents.

Recently had to drive several hundred Simpson hex head structural screws. The impact driver was a godsend.

Makita LXT here. Impact driver (brushless), hammer drill, trim router, fan, two quick chargers and 4 batteries. I plan to slowly replace corded items with LXT equivalents.

Recently had to drive several hundred Simpson hex head structural screws. The impact driver was a godsend.
I hope that was for structural wood - impact drivers on the concrete version for structures = disaster usually.
So much 18V Makita I cant remember them all. SDS is next on the list.
I'm happy with the system, but get there are plenty of alternatives equal to them.

Same here. Everything we have is Makita 18V LXT with 5Ah batteries where possible, and we have a lot. Where not possible it has to be 110v.

I’ll look up the make of the ones I use later for you but I will say that as good as most Dewalt gear is (and I think it’s just as good as Makita) their driver bits are bloody awful.

Teng and Reisser are the two makes I use. Going to try the Milwaukee Shockwave bits as have heard good things about them too.

impact drivers and powerful screwdrivers will rip the heads off woodscrews if you get the torque setting wrong. I've done this a few times. Drill a hole, so torque setting to max. Switch to a driver, woodscrew, zzzzz-crack. Bugger.

Yep we've all been there! Or you go into a knot and you think ... it'll be OK... snap! The joy :D

I've gone with Makita - I have an impact wrench (1/2"), a drill, a tyre inflator, inspection lamp, a lawnmower and a strimmer, they all work very well! The impact wrench is particularly impressive - it can loosen off nuts way tighter than it is specified to do.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've decided to go with Makita, not least because they have some UK manufacturing presence and to me the tools look and feel better than the competition.

First up was the UK made DHP485 Combi drill with two 5AH batteries. Picking up a DTD154 Impact Driver at the weekend. The range beyond that is full of goodies I never knew I needed and almost certainly don't;)

I've decided to go with Makita, not least because they have some UK manufacturing presence and to me the tools look and feel better than the competition.

First up was the UK made DHP485 Combi drill with two 5AH batteries. Picking up a DTD154 Impact Driver at the weekend. The range beyond that is full of goodies I never knew I needed and almost certainly don't;)
Good choice, Makita’s tech support is good too btw.

As a contractor I buy all my own kit and I use Hitachi/Hikoki at work. I’ve been very happy with the Hitachi stuff and because everyone else seems to use DeWalt and Makita etc I’ve managed to keep it all in my possession :) In my own workshop I use Erbauer cordless tools all bought second hand as it was getting expensive buying two sets of power tools. Can’t really fault the Erbauer stuff at all.

The big batteries are great, and seemingly go on forever, thankfully.
Do look at the smallest (2AH I think) as on occasions, you need the space to get into really tight places, or if wprking overhead / above shoulder height, the weight difference is marked.
No - they do not last as long (obviously) but I have found on numerous occasions they really help get the job done (drilling between joists etc with flat bit blades that extra 20mm makes a huge difference when you need it.

advertisement

Back