advertisement

Corbyn sceptics, what do you think of him now (part II)?

An election win?
Such a magnificent victory, she could hardly contain her joy :D

theresa-may-.jpg

Seems to be pretty good at it.

Sorry, at what? He's done very well Sean, but a heck of lot of that youth vote is very pro-remain. To be honest this hung result is possibly better than winning as he won't get the direct blame for Brexit and it's quite right that those responsible do.

If these Tory Brexit clowns get enough wrong in the lead up to the next election it could play well for him to slide off his former position in the meantime. But as things stand, his current position on Brexit won't do it for a large section of his new support and that will matter at some stage. It could be, of course, that his liking for these votes will outweigh his dislike of the EU. We shall see.

An election win?

She won nothing.

Despite her best efforts, she narrowly failed to lose.... :D

She drove her party decisively backwards and only remains in power because Tory voters cannot or will not see that she is ****ing them over too.

Sorry, at what? He's done very well Sean, but a heck of lot of that youth vote is very pro-remain. Now it could be, that if these Brexit clowns get enough wrong in the lead up to the next election that it plays well for him to slide off that point. But as things stand his current position on Brexit won't do it for a large section of his new support. It could be, of course, that his liking for these votes will outweigh his dislike of the EU. We shall see.
You're kidding me...hi-ris jackets all round...

An election win?
By what means?
Truth or lies, we will soon find out

If past Tory election campaigns are anything to go by I would err towards the latter.

Cameron was also all for social justice, the poor will be better off, we will not be taking from the poor in this country, remember this back in 2010, it's etched on my brain, all lies, he decided instead to do the exact opposite.

She won nothing.

Despite her best efforts, she narrowly failed to lose.... :D

This is true, and I'm not a fan.

The way forward for Labour is to find a more broadly acceptable and polished leader for the party (problem, I know) and keep Corbyn as the champion of the people. They would win the next election.

This is true, and I'm not a fan.

The way forward for Labour is to find a more broadly acceptable and polished leader for the party (problem, I know) and keep Corbyn as the champion of the people. They would win the next election.

They also need to find a Brexit position. The current one has the unmistakable aroma of fudge.

I suspect developing a coherent Brexit position would prove as difficult for today's Labour Party as coming up with an Obamacare "repeal and replace" package is proving to be for the Republicans in the US: the only thing a fractured party can agree on is that it doesn't like the other side's plan. Try to pin them down on specifics and all the factions go their own separate ways.

My guess is Labour will try to muddle on. The joys of being HM's Opposition.

Corbyn has a strong mandate to be leader of the labour party because he only lost by 50 seats. PM he is not !
Just out of interest, exactly who in the PLP do you think would have put up a superior performance? And who might do better as leader in the event of an election called again at short notice, a not completely unlikely scenario?
Do you have a name for someone in the PLP who has increased membership in the way Corbyn has? By orders of magnitude? Motivated a generation written off politically? It is now cool to be political - read left - amongst the young - you should see my son's facebook.

Although this board is generally speaking hard on the "achievements" of the Tory party, let's not forget the career-politician backstabbing against Corbyn that went on in the PLP in the not too recent past - one of the evils of our age - the jobsworth politician and their suppression of the idealist.

I'm not uncritical of Corbyn - I resigned from the party over LP support of the surveillance bill, and invoking article 50 - I still haven't re-joined. However, credit where credit is due, Corbyn has been beyond impressive to get himself and the party where they are now, and to say he lacks the political skill needed in a prime minister is to willfully ignore these abilities.

Most of the crooks you place your faith is were heavily pro remain pre 2016.

I don't place much faith in any current political party. It is a matter of degrees of awfulness. In my opinion the conservatives are, most particularly following the wing-clipping that they received in the election, markedly less awful a prospect than the newly emboldened Labour party under Corbyn, McConnell and Abbott. However, and that apart, this thread is about Jeremy Corbyn.

Merlin, we have all seen these articles, and are fully aware of the JC's official stance during the referendum. However I have pointed out that Corbyn is instinctively and historically anti-EU. He comes from the left wing of the Labour party which was traditionally anti-EU, and was extremely close to Tony Benn, whom he is said to have regarded as his mentor. Tony Benn saw the EU as fundamentally undemocratic, and believed that it would destroy our parliamentary democracy and turn the UK into a vassal state. More privately he saw the EU as the anvil upon which what we now identify as the neolibs would build their new world order. Corbyn did vote against membership in 1975, he did vote against Masstricht, and he did vote against Lisbon.

Since becoming leader of the Labour party, rather than having the courage of his much vaunted convictions, he rolled over to the demands of the now die-hard pro-EU modern Labour Party, a conversion itself cynically undertaken by NuLab when Blair recognised the opportunities that it offered to exploit then as now euro-factionalised Tories. Whilst on the subject of cynical, Corbyn then deleted all of the archives of his speeches and other material, the better to conceal from the world his somewhat unsuitable past, and to facilitate his reinvention as the weirdly shiny new Jesus 'cuddly' Corbyn that people like you are falling over themselves in their contortions to convince the more sceptical amongst us that he is the new messiah.

It's also worth remembering that Brexit is very much a Tory made problem and Tories generally do not listen to leaders of the Labour Party.

At the referendum the Labour vote was 62:38 in favour of Remain. The equivalent figures for Conservative voters were 58% to 42% in favour of Leave and the UKIP vote entirely to leave.

All of which conveniently disguises the fact that the Labour party is torn asunder by Brexit. Whilst in sheer numbers Labour voters were, as you point out from Ashcroft's research, 62:38 in favour of remain (YouGov finds 65:35, so even more), in constituency terms, a significant proportion of Labour regions outside of London and the major cities voted in equal or greater proportions to leave, and the reasons cited were control of immigration and repatriation of law-making from Brussels. This included swathes of the traditional industrial regions of the NW, NE and Midlands. Against this the parliamentary Labour party (and metropolitan Labour) were overwhelmingly for remain, which has faced the Labour policymakers with a conundrum, and forced their hand on Brexit. Labour is therefore officially pro-Brexit and pro-immigration control, which basically means they are pro-'hard' Brexit.

Very much reminiscent of a low grade, fifth form troll I'm afraid EV. Could do better.

Just a tiny bit of research on your part is all that's needed to become relatively informed.:rolleyes:

This is the problem. He IS wrong on most things but refuses to listen or to learn

You can be quite extraordinarily supercilious, self-satisfied and smug at times, Merlin, yet you seem sometimes to be almost completely unable to distinguish between facts, truths and mere opinions, and you have this ugly left-wing absolutist contempt for anyone whose opinion differs from your own. It is very, very unattractive.

advertisement

Back