advertisement

Considering streaming route with Naim system

Have also been looking at this. Our Humax TV recorder box thing is dying.

So I was toying with the idea of replacing that with a PC with a TV card, and connecting "any" streaming device (second hand - selection based on functionality/remote etc. not sound quality) via Ethernet to the network, with the digital output from that plumbed into a standalone DAC.

And then I thought that it might be nice to be able to use the PC as the track selector. So install, say, Media Monkey, and then use the TV to select the tracks.

If I had installed a PC sound card with a digital output, thus now bypassing the need for a streaming unit, and connected that to the standalone DAC, would there be any compromise there - I am assuming not since the sound card is offering up a digital out and therefore doing no processing.. any pitfalls?

You don't need a sound card, if your dac doesn't have USB 'in' ,then just purchase a USB to s/pdif converter.
Keith.

I had considered the sound card route, problem is most consumer sound cards like to add features which filter the sound. I would agree with Purite Audio's recommendation, get a dac with USB in or a USB to sp/diff converter

Quote - 'I wasn't particularly planning on spending big bucks on Naim streamers though I've a decent budget if other options are available?'

What is the point in buying a UQ2 and only using the streamer section? Madness! I love Naim but got rid of my SuperUniti and then UQ2 because of the limiting factor of having everything in one box. I liked the idea but Naim are very, very slow at adopting new technologies.

So I went for a Nait 2 which I had previously owned and loved and a Squeezebox Touch (previously owned a Classic and the wonderful Transporter). The SBT was good but needed a DAC so an Arcam irDAC was purchased. I was contented for a while but despite the SB community that shows great support (you still have to be fairly techy to get the best out of it) I was dealing with an item that had a limited life. I tried a Sonos which is very simple to set up and use, great GUI but no Hi-Res which I thought I could live with. I couldn't (don't have a lot but I like what I have). Sold for a small loss and back to the SBT. Middle of the year I start hearing about the Aries Mini (heard about the fuss that the Aries had made). Delays and problems but having had mine for 3 weeks now it really is fantastic. I little white cuboid that sits on my shelf and does everything I ask of it with little fuss. I think the internal DAC if fine for my listening so the Arcam went. I will further improve the sound with the addition of the linear power supply when it arrives.

If you want a high quality streamer at a crazy price then this is it. Get a good DAC if you wish to further improve on the sound but there is nothing a Naim streamer can do that this little box cannot.

Fools and their money.........

Nothing wrong using a UQ as a streamer, I use one feeding a Hugo. Also the UQ acts as a digital hub for my TV plus it has a very good FM tuner built in.

Nothing wrong using a UQ as a streamer, I use one feeding a Hugo. Also the UQ acts as a digital hub for my TV plus it has a very good FM tuner built in.

Nothing wrong (you are making more use of it than some) but what a waste of a cracking little system! Why not buy a little box that does all the streaming for you? Other streaming services included and constantly (in real time) evolving software/firmware (firmware update expected this week).

There just seems to be a lot of redundancy with this approach. But if you have to have black boxes with green logos that all match........ It is almost like a disease.

No matching logos with my system as the other Naim kit is a NAC72, CB HiCap and mono NAP110. The only bit on UQ I don't use is the amp section but in my mind I see this as a backup if my main amps need a service.

As a streamer into the Hugo the UQ is hard to beat and second hand you can pickup a MK1 with 192 boards for £600, the tuner section once connected with a proper external aerial is spot on with Dab as a bonus.

Multiple inputs for other digital devices i.e my telly what other device at this price offers all of this.

advertisement

Back