advertisement

Considering streaming route with Naim system

tqineil

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur
Hope this is the right place to post this general question regarding streaming?

I'm currently using CDS2, NAC 52, NAP 135's and SC's into Wilson Benesch ACT's and am more than delighted with the sound. However, I'm sorely temped to try a streaming route having used Spotify whilst on the road with work, particularly enjoy just plucking tracks from databases etc. though appreciate that it's generally compressed.

I do have access to a DAC magic which a friend lent me and I've linked this to the system mostly for headphone listening from laptop/android phone on Spotify.

My question is this, what might I need to supplement the system and listen to streamed music of high quality and also reduce the large number of CD's I'm storing and rarely listen to? I wasn't particularly planning on spending big bucks on Naim streamers though I've a decent budget if other options are available? Benefits of burning the CD collection to Vortexbox or similar products?

Thoughts?

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give a newbie to this.

Just connect your laptop to your dac, I like Tida, lossless files ,sound quality is excellent, and a huge range of music available.
Keith.

The ultimate replacement for my Naim CDS was a secondhand Squeezebox Touch and a DAC, and I'd never go back. For ripping your own CDs you'll need some form of storage, but if you use Spotify, you just need an internet connection. You may find the SQ of Spotify disappointing through your main system, Tidal is as good as CD. I'm yet to be convinced that streamers vary much in SQ, but DACs do, and the DAC in your CDS2 is very good, so you may need to go a bit further on the DAC to match the SQ of your main system. Vortexbox works well, I'm told. Ripped CDs can sound better than the originals (it took me quite a time to get my head around that!) and having your whole music collection (and the worlds...) at your fingertips is a really good experience. I sold my CDS when I realised this was the future, and it paid for a lot of new stuff.

Auralic Aries Mini.

It beats SB Touch and Sonos Connect. You can stream Hi-Res, internet radio, streaming services, AirPlay, SongCast. You can even insert a 2.5 inch HHD/SSD and store your music it. Or just plug in an external drive via USB at the back. Internal DAC is really good as well. Add an external one if you want.

A one box killer. Order now and you may get one by the end of next month. You will not be disappointed. They were exceptional at this price point.

Have a look at the Auralic Aries Mini thread.

Auralic Aries Mini.

A one box killer. Order now and you may get one by the end of next month. You will not be disappointed. They were exceptional at this price point.

Has anyone actually listened to one of these ?

Plenty of different options, it's worth doing your research.

I went the Weiss route, connected to a Mac Mini which sits in my HiFi rack. So, dac+computer is one way to go.

The other is to invest in a streamer which will connect wirelessly (or via Ethernet) to your computer or NAS drive. A Linn Klimax Renew DS is a sensible second hand option.

The Dacmagic is good for the price, but you can do a lot better.

Some good advice, especially post no 7. Choose what you want a streamer to do before investing. For what it's worth, I moved from a Naim NDX, Naim DAC with a Teddy Pardo XPS to a Squeezebox Touch, Teddy Touch PSU and a Teddy Dac. A lot less expensive and to my ears, more music. I'm very happy with my digital source

Has anyone actually listened to one of these ?

Yes. I'm listening to mine right now. After 2 weeks of listening I can say that this is a very accomplished little box that puts much more expensive options to shame. But hey, what do I know? Only your ears can let you know. Very easy set up and fairly solid GUI (a few tweaks needed).

Buy one and find out for yourself. You will be surprised.

And just because people always want to know:

SB Touch > Arcam irDAC
Sonos Connect > Arcam irDAC
Mac Mini > Arcam irDAC
All the above to a Nait 2 and Guru Juniors
UnitiQute 2 as well.

Now just Aries Mini with internal HDD > Nait 2 and Guru Juniors

I went for ipod touch into Chord Mojo fed into my Naim system.
It's as good as a CDS for very little money.

Auralic Aries Mini.

It beats SB Touch and Sonos Connect. You can stream Hi-Res, internet radio, streaming services, AirPlay, SongCast. You can even insert a 2.5 inch HHD/SSD and store your music it. Or just plug in an external drive via USB at the back. Internal DAC is really good as well. Add an external one if you want.

A one box killer maybe - but if you want to do multi-room streaming then the Sonos or SBT is better for that sort of functionality.

I use ND5 XS with Chord Hugo, listening to CDs ripped onto my NAS drive as well as internet radio.
I might use Spotify premium in future having trialled it.
The most flexible solution is a computer (Mac Minis are much used by people on the Naim forum), but you have to be a little but techy to make them work. If you are, no problem.

I reckon an NDX would work well in your system. Tidal integration gives you CD quality, with Spotify convenience, and good iRadio too. Then you can decide weather to add a NAS, rip your CDs to it, and make your CD player redundant. A bare NDX is still a great source - yes, you can add either an off board DAC or a power supply if you want.....

Another one here questioning the value of an expensive streamer. The DAC is by far the most important part of your digital source. I'm using a pioneer N50 into chord 2qute then Nait XS. The pioneer has a very decent DAC for not much cash,bypassing this, the Mojo adds more detail, the 2qute in a different league altogether. Buy any old 2nd hand streamer with digital output and demo with the 2qute..
You could probably pick up a denon, marantz or pioneer for less than £200 (raspberry pi if you are vaguely tech savvy for only £25). The only thing that beats it is a Klimax..just my opinion from about 2weeks of demoing in my system at home, but, as always, don't take my word for it listen to both then do the maths...

I bitterly miss my Meridian Sooloos Ensemble and am considering getting another.

Easiest (of those I've experienced) to use with by a country mile the highest quality interface with iPhone and iPad, easy FLAC ripping or file download, excellent collection structuring and sound quality. Easily expandable. The only drawback is the FLAC system is proprietary so a PITA to transfer music.

It will accept plain FLAC imports but there really is no point getting a system which makes ripping so easy and then not use it.

Also can hook directly to Meridian active speakers.

Post 15 has excellent advice in my opinion. I think if you went for a Chord Hugo or even just the 2Qute if you don't need the portability or headphone amp, and used, say a Unitiqute2 running as a digital streamer only, then you've got a great system there and you can run Tidal on your iDevice to browse/select the music. It's all in lossless CD quality as well.

That system will be way way better value than a NDX or any other expensive streamer with built in DAC.

Quote - 'I wasn't particularly planning on spending big bucks on Naim streamers though I've a decent budget if other options are available?'

What is the point in buying a UQ2 and only using the streamer section? Madness! I love Naim but got rid of my SuperUniti and then UQ2 because of the limiting factor of having everything in one box. I liked the idea but Naim are very, very slow at adopting new technologies.

So I went for a Nait 2 which I had previously owned and loved and a Squeezebox Touch (previously owned a Classic and the wonderful Transporter). The SBT was good but needed a DAC so an Arcam irDAC was purchased. I was contented for a while but despite the SB community that shows great support (you still have to be fairly techy to get the best out of it) I was dealing with an item that had a limited life. I tried a Sonos which is very simple to set up and use, great GUI but no Hi-Res which I thought I could live with. I couldn't (don't have a lot but I like what I have). Sold for a small loss and back to the SBT. Middle of the year I start hearing about the Aries Mini (heard about the fuss that the Aries had made). Delays and problems but having had mine for 3 weeks now it really is fantastic. I little white cuboid that sits on my shelf and does everything I ask of it with little fuss. I think the internal DAC if fine for my listening so the Arcam went. I will further improve the sound with the addition of the linear power supply when it arrives.

If you want a high quality streamer at a crazy price then this is it. Get a good DAC if you wish to further improve on the sound but there is nothing a Naim streamer can do that this little box cannot.

Fools and their money.........

again, thanks for the comprehensive advice and route options - the Aries does seem to offer a great deal and seems to avoid the need for a NAS too with that option of an external SSD/HDD for the CD collection. the Hugo DAC interests me aswell.. never straight forward is it?

Quote - 'I wasn't particularly planning on spending big bucks on Naim streamers though I've a decent budget if other options are available?'

What is the point in buying a UQ2 and only using the streamer section? Madness! I love Naim but got rid of my SuperUniti and then UQ2 because of the limiting factor of having everything in one box. I liked the idea but Naim are very, very slow at adopting new technologies.

So I went for a Nait 2 which I had previously owned and loved and a Squeezebox Touch (previously owned a Classic and the wonderful Transporter). The SBT was good but needed a DAC so an Arcam irDAC was purchased. I was contented for a while but despite the SB community that shows great support (you still have to be fairly techy to get the best out of it) I was dealing with an item that had a limited life. I tried a Sonos which is very simple to set up and use, great GUI but no Hi-Res which I thought I could live with. I couldn't (don't have a lot but I like what I have). Sold for a small loss and back to the SBT. Middle of the year I start hearing about the Aries Mini (heard about the fuss that the Aries had made). Delays and problems but having had mine for 3 weeks now it really is fantastic. I little white cuboid that sits on my shelf and does everything I ask of it with little fuss. I think the internal DAC if fine for my listening so the Arcam went. I will further improve the sound with the addition of the linear power supply when it arrives.

If you want a high quality streamer at a crazy price then this is it. Get a good DAC if you wish to further improve on the sound but there is nothing a Naim streamer can do that this little box cannot.

Fools and their money.........
Google Chromecast Audio if you really want to save money.
Keith.

advertisement

Back