advertisement

Connecting Mac Book Pro to a TV using HDMI

Gerard124

pfm Member
What cable do I need to connect my Mac Book Pro to a TVs HDMI socket to transfer the video and audio - a link to an item on Amazon or other online seller would be great!

I would like to watch movies stored on my laptop on the TV in my caravan at weekends.

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Late 2011
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Does it have an HDMI output? If so use an HDMI cable.
If its thunderbolt use a thunderbolt to HDMi converter cheap from ebay.
If its DVI , go DVI into the tv, or If not possible get a dvi to HDMI converter.
Hope that helps.
DVI doesn't do audio if I remember correctly.

Your Mac has a mini displayport socket for external monitors. That means you can either get a mini displayport to HDMI cable, or a mini displayport to HDMI adaptor plus a regular HDMI cable to go from that to the TV.

You can see the choices on Apple's store http://store.apple.com/uk/search/mini-displayport-hdmi or you could try eBay or Amazon for a cheapo alternative.

Hope that helps.

All MacBook Pros from mid 2010 on have Thunderbolt.

Just to be clear though, mini displayport and thunderbolt use the same socket on the Mac. So in the context of audio/video connectivity, it makes no difference whether a Mac is equipped for Thundebolt or not. In either case you need the same mini displayport to HDMI adaptor or cable.

Sorry, I don't know what Thunderbolt is - doh !

How do I find the model number of my Mac Book?

Thanks for all the help people - pfm is always a great place to seek advise.

Thunderbolt's a data interface, like USB or Firewire, only more modern and much, much faster.

Thunderbolt and mini DisplayPort use the same socket, but they have different names because they carry different things (data and audio/video respectively). All of which is more info than you really need if all you want to do is link your Mac to a TV. However, if you're interested here's a breakdown of the two http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20043524-263.html

Pretty sure this is my one
If you click on the Apple icon in the menu bar at top left, and select 'about this mac' – then 'more info…' It'll give you the year info for your Mac (i.e. Late 2011). That's all you need to identify your Mac.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On the top line of the display go to the Apple symbol, select and then select About This Mac

This will tell you all about your computer. The first screen will give you an overview, Displays, Storage and Memory installed. Go back to the Overview and then select System Report and look down the Hardware section to see all that the machine can have and what is installed.

If you have the same model as I have the Thunderbolt socket is next to the Ethernet socket.

The good thing about the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable is that the sound is also delivered to the TV without any lip sync issues.

Does it have an HDMI output? If so use an HDMI cable.
If its thunderbolt use a thunderbolt to HDMi converter cheap from ebay.
If its DVI , go DVI into the tv, or If not possible get a dvi to HDMI converter.
Hope that helps.
DVI doesn't do audio if I remember correctly.

No HDMi output on Mac book, TV only has HDMi sockets.

On the top line of the display go to the Apple symbol, select and then select About This Mac

This will tell you all about your computer. The first screen will give you an overview, Displays, Storage and Memory installed. Go back to the Overview and then select System Report and look down the Hardware section to see all that the machine can have and what is installed.

If you have the same model as I have the Thunderbolt socket is next to the Ethernet socket.

The good thing about the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable is that the sound is also delivered to the TV without any lip sync issues.

Ok, I got a socket with a lightning bolt logo next to it - this must be the Thunderbolt socket?

Yes, you are good to go, about time you had a quick glance at the manual that came with the machine. <g>

While you are looking at Thunderbolt it would be worthwhile getting an external hard drive connected to the Thunderbolt socket to do back ups of the hard drive. This will ensure the backups are done fast enough so that you are not discouraged from doing them regularly.

Remember - disc drives exist in one of two states:
1 - About to die
2 - Dead

Yes, you are good to go, about time you had a quick glance at the manual that came with the machine. <g>

While you are looking at Thunderbolt it would be worthwhile getting an external hard drive connected to the Thunderbolt socket to do back ups of the hard drive. This will ensure the backups are done fast enough so that you are not discouraged from doing them regularly.

Remember - disc drives exist in one of two states:
1 - About to die
2 - Dead

Thanks Derek, I'm all too aware of my own mortality but not my computer equipment :rolleyes:

Yes. Once you've got your mini displayport to HDMI adaptor, that's where you plug it in.

Then you would need your HDMI cable, amazon have various lengths at good prices. Next go into System Preferences/Display to set the mirror image for the tv screen.

For analogue audio, it's not ideal but you would need a simultaneous cable with a male minijack from the headphone/audio out on the MBP, to a pair of RCA L & R plugs for the back of your amp/receiver. You would then need to try System Preferences/Sounds or the Midi pane to configure the audio out.

Then you would need your HDMI cable, amazon have various lengths at good prices. Next go into System Preferences/Display to set the mirror image for the tv screen.

For analogue audio, it's not ideal but you would need a simultaneous cable with a male minijack from the headphone/audio out on the MBP, to a pair of RCA L & R plugs for the back of your amp/receiver. You would then need to try System Preferences/Sounds or the Midi pane to configure the audio out.

Hi, thanks for helping.

There is No amp/receiver - just a small TV in a caravan (with HDMi inputs)

I got myself a cable and have picture showing on TV and Macbook.

I would like to be able to close lid on the Macbook and the picture to remain on the TV (at the moment when I close the lid picture goes off the Television)

Is there a way to configure settings so picture stays on TV when lid down?

advertisement

Back