advertisement

Connecting headphones to speaker amp terminals?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I've heard people say they power their headphones via the speaker terminals on an amplifier. How does one go about this, and safely at that?

Fwiw, my headphones are HD650s and the amp I'd like to try is an Amptastic mini-1.

You need:

1. four speaker plugs, and a bit of wire
  2. a couple of resistors per channel,
  3. to feed: an output socket, to suit.
  4. a box to tidy it away.

How might you feel about a bit of DIY?

https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm

- NB - this is for a low, flattish output impedance; the right approach for your HD650s, and almost-all modern headphones which are designed around going loud from mobile devices.

NB Some older phones inc Senns [ like the late 90s HD565 Ovations - which I still have & like, and the v v closely related HD 580s, and 600s ] were designed for the older IEC standard recommendation of up towards 120ohm drive impedance, and that is when the bass end comes alive (exactly why, is a much longer post).

The way you describe it makes it sounds pretty simple but when I clicked on the link I thought nope, that's above my pay grade. I'll have another look tomorrow though when I get home from work.

Apparently my Amptastic has a floating ground or something like that so I'd need to figure out what that means wrt using it to power my HD 650s.

I've heard people say they power their headphones via the speaker terminals on an amplifier. How does one go about this, and safely at that?

Fwiw, my headphones are HD650s and the amp I'd like to try is an Amptastic mini-1.

QED did a great little speaker switch box with a headphone output - the MA-30. I used one with my HD600 for a while in my main set-up connected to a Quad 303 and then 405-2 to good effect.
Currently in the garage being used for the switching ..... they come up very occasionally on eBay and are worth looking out for. Mine cost about £12 (used)

euwqkvuzemqrweukwi0b.jpg

(web image)

Someone else on PFM recently mentioned using one (or a similar solution) for headphone duties - maybe @foxwelljsly ???

The device you're looking for is called a headphone tap and they're more widely used in pro audio for monitoring than in hi fi.

I use one made by a now defunct pro audio company called Demion, there's the QED one upthread, I think @Tony L uses something called a can opener and a pro audio company called Art Audio offer one new.

I'm very happy with mine and would encourage any headphone user to give them a try. The bass using a Quad 606 and HD600's is very good indeed, and far better than any headphone amp I've tried.

The device you're looking for is called a headphone tap and they're more widely used in pro audio for monitoring than in hi fi.

I use one made by a now defunct pro audio company called Demion, there's the QED one upthread, I think @Tony L uses something called a can opener and a pro audio company called Art Audio offer one new.

I'm very happy with mine and would encourage any headphone user to give them a try. The bass using a Quad 606 and HD600's is very good indeed, and far better than any headphone amp I've tried.

I guess with the Art Headtap you'd need to terminate a pair of speaker cables into a 6.3mm stereo jack?

I guess with the Art Headtap you'd need to terminate a pair of speaker cables into a 6.3mm stereo jack?

Yep. Or make up a pair of tails, each with a 6.5mm stereo jack and 4x Z plugs into which you can connect your speaker cable banana plugs.

I use one of these, albeit with two headphone sockets. It's a beautifully made thing. I think I paid £15 posted for it, so this one's a bit steep.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29516532...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I used a Rega Brio for a while to drive my HD600's. Four wires connected to a 6.3mm jack and 4x Banana plugs at the other, worked a treat!

Easy cable to DIY if you can solder

I've provisionally bought a Demion unit. I say provisionally because I bought it on Gumtree on premise that the guy will actually post it. In saying that, I'm 99% sure the guy will post it, you never know.

My Demion Pro Gold speaker switch arrived earlier and it totally works as a headphone amp via speaker input; obviously, you still need to use the amp upstream for source and volume control (in my case, I'll be using an Amptastic mini-1). There's a bit of hiss on the right channel but it's not too obtrusive. I'll see if I can figure out where it's coming from and if it turns out to be the Demion itself then fair enough, I'll live with it as I only expect to use it occasionally. Fwiw, it was £15 delivered :)

I experimented with different amps feeding my Demion Pro Gold and I'm pleased to say it's not the Demion unit that's causing the hiss. I got some hiss using the speaker output of my Tangent Ampster BTII but no hiss whatsoever when using my Denon DM-41. It just so happens that the Amptastic Mini-1 still sounds the best so I'll stick with it for the time being.

That’s got me thinking about a new use for my Amptastic. If Bourneendboy is still reading might you be willing to rig up a cable?

I have one of these in very good condition if anyone is interested.

Image is from Steve Hoffman and is NOT mine, some of you may recognise it but mine looks identical.

8619729550_3e1cc2e3c4_o.jpg

advertisement

Back