advertisement

Confused about Tannoy

Hello folks I saw my name and video mentioned and wanted to add some clarity. Tannoy is distributed by Rythm Distribution. They are located near me because those two fellows are ex-employees. My distribution company is Harmonia Distribution, managed separately from Upscale Audio.

As you know, the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge is closed. They are assembling speakers somewhere. Last I heard, it was a space they leased that was part of a transport terminal. People have asked for transparency because to old-school fans, they want the heritage. In Asia it's even more important. The drivers are made in China. So are the cabinets for Eaton, Cheviot, Arden, and the three new SGM models. I was told the SGM are the exact same except they moved the controls. If you look at all the specs, you will see that they look the same, but I noted the SGM15 has a presence control, and the Arden does not.

The Stirling III LZ SE is a Kensington driver in a slightly modified Stirling cabinet. I saw a prototype of it at Coatbridge in 2019, and the crossover was designed by Graham Hendry, as I was told. We took a "Gold Sample" of the new speaker to show for the first time at Axpona 2023 and tried for hours to get it to sound good. It sounded like the What HiFi review—horrible. We gave up and showed Kensingtons instead.

I have another pair here, and they do sound better. But I wouldn't buy them myself because you can get a pair of Stirlings and a pair of subs for the same price. Or a pair of Fyne Classic XII...which will leave the Stirling III LZ in the dust to my ears. Why the difference? Could it be break in? Or inconsistent QC? I cannot imagine them sending a pair that was not broken in to What HiFi...it was the very first and most important review.

I poured my life and millions of dollars into Tannoy. We had to QC every speaker after finding out that the QC not not just bad...but beyond anything. We even shipped a pair of Cheviots to a dealer and it was missing the back panel with speaker terminals. We had Kensingtons that required prying off the grills with a screwdriver once installed. I have a pair of Westminster we're selling now as B stock, and the buyer will not be able to use the supplied grill on one of them. In fairness, they gave us credit to our account for repairing, but that didn't cover our man-hours for inspection. And I have a ton of product that could not be made A stock so must be discounted.

They say they have now improved QC, and I hope that's true. They have the money to do it. They are owned by Behringer. I'm sure some of you know that company. Uli Behringer has a massive factory in China (and elsewhere I suspect), and he is very smart. Hi-end audio is a drop in the bucket compared to what he does in pro audio.

The ‘new’ Arden’s I bought had loads of qc issues. They rattled when I first put them on….the driver bolts were all loose.

Hello folks I saw my name and video mentioned and wanted to add some clarity. Tannoy is distributed by Rythm Distribution. They are located near me because those two fellows are ex-employees. My distribution company is Harmonia Distribution, managed separately from Upscale Audio.

As you know, the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge is closed. They are assembling speakers somewhere. Last I heard, it was a space they leased that was part of a transport terminal. People have asked for transparency because to old-school fans, they want the heritage. In Asia it's even more important. The drivers are made in China. So are the cabinets for Eaton, Cheviot, Arden, and the three new SGM models. I was told the SGM are the exact same except they moved the controls. If you look at all the specs, you will see that they look the same, but I noted the SGM15 has a presence control, and the Arden does not.

The Stirling III LZ SE is a Kensington driver in a slightly modified Stirling cabinet. I saw a prototype of it at Coatbridge in 2019, and the crossover was designed by Graham Hendry, as I was told. We took a "Gold Sample" of the new speaker to show for the first time at Axpona 2023 and tried for hours to get it to sound good. It sounded like the What HiFi review—horrible. We gave up and showed Kensingtons instead.

I have another pair here, and they do sound better. But I wouldn't buy them myself because you can get a pair of Stirlings and a pair of subs for the same price. Or a pair of Fyne Classic XII...which will leave the Stirling III LZ in the dust to my ears. Why the difference? Could it be break in? Or inconsistent QC? I cannot imagine them sending a pair that was not broken in to What HiFi...it was the very first and most important review.

I poured my life and millions of dollars into Tannoy. We had to QC every speaker after finding out that the QC not not just bad...but beyond anything. We even shipped a pair of Cheviots to a dealer and it was missing the back panel with speaker terminals. We had Kensingtons that required prying off the grills with a screwdriver once installed. I have a pair of Westminster we're selling now as B stock, and the buyer will not be able to use the supplied grill on one of them. In fairness, they gave us credit to our account for repairing, but that didn't cover our man-hours for inspection. And I have a ton of product that could not be made A stock so must be discounted.

They say they have now improved QC, and I hope that's true. They have the money to do it. They are owned by Behringer. I'm sure some of you know that company. Uli Behringer has a massive factory in China (and elsewhere I suspect), and he is very smart. Hi-end audio is a drop in the bucket compared to what he does in pro audio.

In the UK Tannoy the distributor is Symphony Distribution, based in Salisbury of all places. I've met Dan Raggett a couple of times, he's a thoroughly nice chap, and he's heard my system with Kensington GRs. I got the impression he was suitably impressed...

Mine were built in Coatbridge in 2015. I believe that there is a new factory in Hamilton, Scotland, where all the Prestige models are to be manufactured.

I'd take the The Stirling III LZs over the Stirling GR any day. They are higher sensitivity and use the Pepperpot Waveguide Tweeters and Alnico magnets. I would not use a sub, as this kind of defeats the object of having the point-source Dual-Concentric drivers.

As for Fyne, I like their F1 standmount models, but the Vintage Tens (Tannoy Kensington GR equivalent) look lovely, but they don't seem to have the bass drive and rhythmic acuity of the Kensingtons.

Man I'm sorry. Are you in the USA? When did this happen?
Uk my friend.

Last year. They were actually made in 22’ I bought them in 23 from dealer. I got them heavily discounted, new in the box, factory sealed and wrapped. So to this day confused as to how they could have been b grade, especially with all the qc bumf that came within the paperwork. I expected used, ie the ones in the dealer pictures. I didn’t receive these used ones, but new ones!?!? This was even more annoying as they had faults on the front black panel, and bad jointing on the veneers. You could also feel the rough nibbing on the wood finish.

When I had Tannoy MG15's in vintage Lockwood Majors one thing that surprised was how easy and unfussy they were about fitting in my smallish room (4m x 3.5m) even close to the backwall. The way their bass output couples with the room and the point-source drivers made them easy to enjoy from all angles.
Yes that has been my experience with the big Tannoys too.Remarkably unfussy about placement or room size.Different story with amplifiers however!

steven
Mine were built in Coatbridge in 2015. I believe that there is a new factory in Hamilton, Scotland, where all the Prestige models are to be manufactured.
as far as i know they are making the drivers in China and cabinets in Poland and assembling them in hamilton .

steven
as far as i know they are making the drivers in China and cabinets in Poland and assembling them in hamilton .
I'd take the The Stirling III LZs over the Stirling GR any day. They are higher sensitivity and use the Pepperpot Waveguide Tweeters and Alnico magnets. I would not use a sub, as this kind of defeats the object of having the point-source Dual-Concentric drivers.
... The drivers are made in China. So are the cabinets for Eaton, Cheviot, Arden, and the three new SGM models. I was told the SGM are the exact same except they moved the controls. If you look at all the specs, you will see that they look the same, but I noted the SGM15 has a presence control, and the Arden does not.

... We had to QC every speaker after finding out that the QC not not just bad...but beyond anything. We even shipped a pair of Cheviots to a dealer and it was missing the back panel with speaker terminals. We had Kensingtons that required prying off the grills with a screwdriver once installed. I have a pair of Westminster we're selling now as B stock, and the buyer will not be able to use the supplied grill on one of them. In fairness, they gave us credit to our account for repairing, but that didn't cover our man-hours for inspection. And I have a ton of product that could not be made A stock so must be discounted.

They say they have now improved QC, and I hope that's true...

Kevin that explains a lot. What a nightmare!
Steven have you actually hard the III LZ SE's? They sound good on paper! When I heard them demo'ed they were the most un-Tannoy speakers I've ever heard! More like ATC with pro studio balance FR. They did make good recordings sound superbly soundstaged and detailed, but everything else was way too bright. I couldn't believe the What Hifi review was the same speaker but Kevin and hifinutt seem to have hit the nail on the head - appalling QC. If Tannoy can sort out the QC they still have to get a leading magazine to print a good review to try and turn things around in the market. And the prices they're charging are ridiculous for what you're getting! Check Acoustic Energy Corinium speakers at £6k!!!

They are owned by Behringer. I'm sure some of you know that company. Uli Behringer has a massive factory in China (and elsewhere I suspect), and he is very smart. Hi-end audio is a drop in the bucket compared to what he does in pro audio.

That’s the line in the sand for me. I detest what Behringer has done to every brand he’s touched, and the ones he’s killed by blatant plagiarism/forgery. I say that as someone who owns a proper pair of London-made Tannoys (15” Monitor Golds) and an American-made Moog Voyager synth. In slightly different ways he killed both companies IMHO. On my personal blacklist for sure.

Kevin that explains a lot. What a nightmare!
Steven have you actually hard the III LZ SE's? They sound good on paper! When I heard them demo'ed they were the most un-Tannoy speakers I've ever heard! More like ATC with pro studio balance FR. They did make good recordings sound superbly soundstaged and detailed, but everything else was way too bright. I couldn't believe the What Hifi review was the same speaker but Kevin and hifinutt seem to have hit the nail on the head - appalling QC. If Tannoy can sort out the QC they still have to get a leading magazine to print a good review to try and turn things around in the market. And the prices they're charging are ridiculous for what you're getting! Check Acoustic Energy Corinium speakers at £6k!!!

I heard them at Cranage last year.

As someone who uses a pair of Legacy Eatons (UK made), one thing in particular puzzles me about the replacement models. They are deep rather than wide, just like BBC style boxes. That can make a big difference. I've found that both my 70s Eatons and Legacy Eatons are much easier to position close to a back wall than most of the speakers I used before. There are several reasons for this, but lack of depth is one.

That’s the line in the sand for me. I detest what Behringer has done to every brand he’s touched, and the ones he’s killed by blatant plagiarism/forgery. I say that as someone who owns a proper pair of London-made Tannoys (15” Monitor Golds) and an American-made Moog Voyager synth. In slightly different ways he killed both companies IMHO. On my personal blacklist for sure.
His company is called ‘Music Tribe’. I’ve had professional dealings with it, not easy.

are the supergold monitors the replacement ?

Supergold Monitors are very very very very similar to Eaton, Cheviot, and Arden. I thought they were the exact same except for moving the controls on the front, but looking I see the SGM15 has a presence control. I guess they were swinging for the fence.

what did you think steven ? would you part with your kensingtons for them ? i heard them too . they had those fancy earthing cad design thingies stuck in the earth terminals !!

Kensingtons are fine speakers, assuming they can make the drivers.

As to using subs we've sold tons of Tannoy Stirlings and Turnberry with subs. You just have to do it right.

what did you think steven ? would you part with your kensingtons for them ? i heard them too . they had those fancy earthing cad design thingies stuck in the earth terminals !!

They are good, but swapping my Kensingtons for them would still be a downgrade.

Supergold Monitors are very very very very similar to Eaton, Cheviot, and Arden. I thought they were the exact same except for moving the controls on the front, but looking I see the SGM15 has a presence control. I guess they were swinging for the fence.

Kensingtons are fine speakers, assuming they can make the drivers.

As to using subs we've sold tons of Tannoy Stirlings and Turnberry with subs. You just have to do it right.

I watched your video on them on YouTube a few years back. You were clearly a fan!

advertisement

Back