advertisement

Confused about Tannoy

They were bought out by a Chinese consortium, and closed the Coatbridge facility. They didn't cease trading.

25 April 2023, Salisbury: Salisbury-based hi-fi company Symphony Distribution has formed a pivotal ‘super partner’ UK distribution deal with loudspeaker legend Tannoy, the world’s fifth-oldest hi-fi company (est. 1926).

The new super partner arrangement will see Tannoy’s Scottish-made loudspeakers available via a much wider UK dealer network in 2023 and beyond, as the near-100-year-old hi-fi company develops its exciting roadmap, which includes huge investment into its UK production, plus brand new British-made models from the factory.

Daniel Raggett, Director of Symphony Distribution said, “I am absolutely delighted and honoured to be representing Tannoy, a company with such enormous history not only in the hi-fi world, but in the world itself. The product build quality, from the entry-level Autograph Mini to the show stopping Tannoy Westminster, is absolutely second to none.”

David McCaffrey, Global Brand Category Leader for Tannoy added, “I’m thrilled to announce the appointment of Symphony Distribution as our Super Partner in the UK. Daniel Raggett shares the same core values and passion for Tannoy. Daniel has built up a fantastic reputation in the UK and I know Symphony will play a key role into the success and growth of Tannoy hi-fi in the UK territory.”

Tannoy is just a brand, the same as SME, Naim, Audiolab, Celestion and many others.
The company gets bought to aquire the brand and things change, or not. And the brand often gets sold again, and again, and again, and again....... as what that brand is known for slips in and out of what the ownership are looking to offer/achieve.

Tannoy - no different to countless barnds - Cadbury for instance.

Outside of hifi, take a look at Swatch and LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton groups, just for instance.

I thought U.K. production had ceased?
chatting to the Tannoy rep he did intimate some were made in UK . maybe someone can pin him down at audio delux later this month if he is there

What, like someone took them out of their cartons at Harwich and put different terminals on?😁
yes be good to clarify that i agree !!! i have asked about it multiple times over the past years since coatbridge died . needless to say my 100% Coatbridge built tannoys are not going anywhere at the moment

this is a superb book about the start in London and its history . well worth a read , i used to live near the factory years ago

I’ve got a copy. An interesting overview of the company history, but disappointingly light on the speakers and their design/manufacture etc. Not one to buy if you really want to learn about Blacks, Silvers, Reds, Golds, HPDs etc and the technical design evolution over the years.

chatting to the Tannoy rep he did intimate some were made in UK . maybe someone can pin him down at audio delux later this month if he is there

Chatting to a rep in the Tannoy room at the Chester Group Staverton show last year, he didn't seem to know much about the product he was selling. Apparently they'd just recently taken over the distribution.

Don't stress on it.

Do you like the build, sound and value proposition?

The quality end of Chinese manufacturing is superb these days and likely churns out more consistent, better value kit than Fred in his shed ever did.

Don't stress on it.

Do you like the build, sound and value proposition?

The quality end of Chinese manufacturing is superb these days and likely churns out more consistent, better value kit than Fred in his shed ever did.
So why all the secrecy? Just say what is built where. Secrecy does nothing but damage trust in the company. If the distributors can't say where they are built what is the reason for that? I don't care if they are built on the Isle of Wight, Tasmania or China but I wish Tannoy would stop making s••t up!

So why all the secrecy?

What secrecy, about what?

99% of people buy by brand name 99% of the time and that is what it is all about.

How many people know that Anchor butter has been made by Arla in the UK for what, 10 years, longer, 20? Tastes totally different to NZ Anchor, but the brand still means that it sells.

What secrecy, about what?

99% of people buy by brand name 99% of the time and that is what it is all about.

How many people know that Anchor butter has been made by Arla in the UK for what, 10 years, longer, 20? Tastes totally different to NZ Anchor, but the brand still means that it sells.
About a British factory, or a Scottish factory, about made in the uk? Where? I really don't care though, it's just disappointing that they are trying to hold on to 'Made in Britain' if they aren't.

advertisement

Back