advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

Assetto Corsa modding continues to amaze. Shaders patch, SOL, and mods like this mean it's still the best sim.

Never tried AC, although they do rate it fir dim over on GT Planet. I look out for when it’s on offer, although I struggle to get time to game at all. And it hopeless after a few libations..,

Tis the racing and race craft in GTS for me. You can be competitive in races, or just solo on time trials etc. Shaving time off Nurburgring using older retro classics is my fav.

@matthewr

i meant the actual F1 cars, not the games replicating them. a tearing wheel that isn't a wheel just seems wrong.

If you have a look at how small and tight the cockpit is it will make sense to you, plus it is not a ‘steering wheel’, more a complete control interface so the drivers hands never need leave it. More a computer gamepad really, which is highly appropriate given the thread!

@matthewr

i meant the actual F1 cars, not the games replicating them. a tearing wheel that isn't a wheel just seems wrong.

F1 cars have so little lock and such a high ratio electronic pad rack, that most turns are flicks of wrist. Ie they never have to cross hands or feed thru hands as with road cars.
I think the tightest turn in F1 circuit is the second before the tunnel in Monaco.

Additionally they carry so many function and comms buttons, they are bewildering to look at.

I visited the Renault F1 factory a few years ago. Their materials use and handling technology, including making the steering wheels, was sci fi.

Reactions: vuk
i imagine seats and pedals are a thing too.

back to the steering wheel though, don't you find the current F1 style to look like a cheap copy of a sci-fi game accessory?

Each steering wheel at Renault cost in region of £30k to make.

Tis the racing and race craft in GTS for me. You can be competitive in races, or just solo on time trials etc. Shaving time off Nurburgring using older retro classics is my fav.

AC is all about the mods and how having such an open platform has made it the modern equivalent of RFactor 1 where there is just always more free content to play. First class physics model second only to rFactor2 (which has other issues).

It's much more of a pure sim than other games in the sense of "here's some cars and tracks to drive on them" rather than having any sort of career mode or game progression. Public lobby racing remains sketchy and for competitive clean racing you need to get to know people and find a good league.

guest,

F1 cars have so little lock and such a high ratio electronic pad rack, that most turns are flicks of wrist. Ie they never have to cross hands or feed thru hands as with road cars.

It's similar with the USS Enterprise. You can set course to the Andromeda galaxy at maximum warp speed with just a few clicks of unmarked coloured buttons and a couple of toggle switches, without crossing your hands.

It's an amazing design — clean, elegant and functional.

CAqKWDR.jpg

Joe

...unless TeaM Klingon has better diluthian (?) crystals deployment and warp strategy in that particular season.

AC is all about the mods and how having such an open platform has made it the modern equivalent of RFactor 1 where there is just always more free content to play. First class physics model second only to rFactor2 (which has other issues).

It's much more of a pure sim than other games in the sense of "here's some cars and tracks to drive on them" rather than having any sort of career mode or game progression. Public lobby racing remains sketchy and for competitive clean racing you need to get to know people and find a good league.

Yes I see that. In GTS daily races or fia mode, there is no modding and a balance of power weight is applied to level fields. But, as you say, you still,have to find right lobbies to race in, where both race-craft and finesse tempers the urge to win at all costs. There are a few 'gentlemen racers' out there, who play fair but hard.

I race with a ds4 controller rather than the whole boots, gloves, pedals and wheel rig. You can still be quite competitive tho.

Yer know I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my first ever paid work in electronics being repairing video games (Defender, Asteroids etc etc... yep long time ago!) but I really don't get the whole gaming thang at all.... You could rant on about the latest greatest one and I would not be interested enough to get off my chair to look at it even....
Takes all sorts 'n all that:)

Did you ever have to repair a Dragons Lair machine? They used to go wrong all the time.

Joe’s Classic Arcade Games channel on YouTube is great fun and informative regarding fixing, refurbishing and playing vintage arcade consoles. Well worth digging into to see if he’s restored an old favourite or two (chances are he has, there’s just miles of stuff there).

do F1 drivers practice on these simulator games?

Not seriously. Given the limited testing time F1 teams are allowed, most if not all have invested in their own SW simulations with many variables and parameters to emulate real qualm and race conditions.

Sims are great for rookies to learn the tracks tho. The millions Teams chuck at wind tunnels etc, is matched by bespoke software and modelling systems.

The teams also have static rigs to replicate specific race Conditions, from trackside telemetry recordings, onto a series of hydraulic rams in turn attached to a chassis. This is for chasis dev and real time predictive failure analysis.

When I was at Renault factory we visited chassis rigs testing wher you see carbon tubs and subframes being rattled pulled and violently pushed. They were running the telemetry data from the last GP as a simulation. No graphics or screen projections, just the car. the engineer hosting us told a story about Fernando Alonso, who had his stag do in U.K. And took took his mates around factory as an activity. On viewing the static rig going thru it's motions bouncing up and down, he apparatus looked and said, "That's Monza turn three, I took too much kerb and had to manage the understeer, comprising my exit speed"

Jolyon Palmer apparently has same gift - can identify most tracks, .aps and corners, just viewing the static rig.

Bit off topic, but a different level of simulation.

Must say I'm loving the absolute sheet storm regarding Red Dead Redemption finally hitting the PC fraternity.

Chuckling in my slippers actually.

100Gb download , £60 , and it it's really not all that much different to the Xbox One X visually.

To run it at the same 4k resolution on a PC you need a graphics card that costs - over £1000?

Madness.

advertisement

Back