advertisement

Component Priority: Speaker First, Source First, System Balance...?

The crucial point is that the "solution" has to be the solution to a fantasy- and no one** has the fantasy that what they need is to degrade the sound with distortion (even if they might in fact like that distorted sound).

Well said really. Let’s not forget only that all the audio reproduction is a fantasy per se, it’s a synthetic art by how music recording industry is designed. No one listens to a kind of ‘real music’, it is ‘produced’ by many means usually.

Been reading some Audio Note reviews, these sections from a couple of different reviews make the case of source/amp first:

DAC review:

Speaker review:

There you have it. All you need is a quarter of a mill to make your KEF LS50s sing 😂
AN AX2s are excellent front end first loudspeakers. But they also sound great with a £100 Amptastic.

I’ve found system setup to be an important aspect to making a good sound and something that will minimize loss of information. All your hi-fi components will perform better when setup is maximized.

Well said really. Let’s not forget only that all the audio reproduction is a fantasy per se, it’s a synthetic art by how music recording industry is designed. No one listens to a kind of ‘real music’, it is ‘produced’ by many means usually.
That is a very good point. And no two recording engineers mix or master the same way. For instance, all of Todd Rundgren's albums got brighter as time went on.

Then my friend demonstrated that my accuratelu measuring Benchmark could be bettered sonically by other DACs. Perhaps the others were adding euphonic distortion, and quite frankly I don't care. All I know is that it sounds better.
If the Benchmark is more linear, it should be possible to get close to this other DAC using software. Regardless, that's still a killer DAC.

advertisement

Back