advertisement

Comfortable noise cancelling headphones

Update, Momentums went nuts last night, endless audio notification loop "bing bingbingbingbingbingbing then failure to connect and now won't turn on despite a full charge.
Only used indoors. Not great, returning for refund.

Sennheiser do seem to have a history of bugs with each new BT product release.. Which they eventually get around to fixing.

I love my Shure SRH1540's - They are very comfortable and I can easily listen for a good 2-3hrs before my ears get a bit too warm and need a little rest.

Disclosure, I work for Harman who own JBL but the TWS Pro Live 2 are very comfortable, sound superb and have great ANC.

Update, Momentums went nuts last night, endless audio notification loop "bing bingbingbingbingbingbing then failure to connect and now won't turn on despite a full charge.
Only used indoors. Not great, returning for refund.

If you are having problems with the Momentum Four see if you can get credit or change over toward the Momentum Three, there should be plenty of runout stock still in the supply chain at this point. I have the Threes and to my ears they are the best sounding Bluetooth / Noise Cancelling headphones for the asking coin without going into exotic price territory, they are also very comfortable and wearable for long sessions. The real sheep skin leather on the Threes rather than protein (fake) leather on the Fours make a big difference. While the Threes still sound a fruity in the bass, they don't have the clearly audible 6-8dB bass shelf that the Momentum Four and all of the Sony WH-XM series exhibit, this extra bass shelf is in addition to the 5db shelf that the Harman EQ compensation curve already gives you.

The problem with the Fours is that they are still "New Tech" as Sennheiser has taken the Momentum line in a completely new direction with this model, the bugs will be fixed and I am pretty sure that firmware patches will be released soon if not already. The Sennheiser app makes updating the firmware a breeze, even if you get the older Three's make sure you check the firmware occasionally, I have had my Threes for 18 months and I have had two updates in that period.

As a side note Ratings.com also observed a similar battery issue to yours on their first test sample, have a look at...
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/momentum-4-wireless

For completion, check out the Rtings review of the Momentum Three.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/momentum-3-wireless

Hope you get it sorted.
LPSPinner.

I’ve used my AirPods Pro 2 for some time now, for quiet naps, car trips and they work really well and above all they are light and you just forget that you wear them very quickly.
They also do sound rather good, unlike Bose phones which I don’t like.

Sony WH-1000XM4 - do the job for me. I think the XM5 has just been released so you should get the XM4 at a good price. The XM3's were very good as well.

Sonys all the way for me as well -- been super happy with my XM3s. Super comfortable for extended periods and the noise cancelling is superb.

But with regard to the new model, the headband on the XM5 has been redesigned and a) no longer does the fold up into a ball thing and b) there have been reports that the skinny arms between the earcups and the band can break. Probably more of an issue for people who use them on the move rather than just in, say, the same office.

Am about to buy a second pair for the bedroom and the new band and the price bump would be enough to put me off the XM5s.

PS Somewhat niche, but the noise cancelling is really good for my mental health. It's just very relaxing and allows me to get in that flow state / zone where I can get things done and reduce the stress even now I am no longer in an office (my original reason for buying them). Also my cousin's child who visited at Christmas has a pair that help with her ADHD and from talking to her it's apparently quite a known thing for kids with ADHD and similar conditions to find noise cancelling helpful.

Had been thinking of getting some wireless noise cancelling headphones and Matthew's ADHD observation has pushed me over the edge.

But not sure whether to go over ear or buds - Sony XM4 or AirPods Pro. Any advice?

If Airpods go for the new Pro 2 - clearly better sound an ANC over its predecessor. Plus volume control on the stems.

XM4 - I assume you mean WF-1000XM4 in-ears and not WH-1000XM4 over-ears?

Over-ear WH-1000XM4 will have better ANC than in-ear Airpods Pro 2.

Another in-ear option with good ANC is Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II.

This guy does very comprehensive tests with lots of measurements and sound samples. Covers most bases. There are proper english subtitles (not auto-generated) - just turn them on.

If Airpods go for the new Pro 2 - clearly better sound an ANC over its predecessor. Plus volume control on the stems.

XM4 - I assume you mean WF-1000XM4 in-ears and not WH-1000XM4 over-ears?

Over-ear WH-1000XM4 will have better ANC than in-ear Airpods Pro 2.

Another in-ear option with good ANC is Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II.

Cheers, leaning towards over-ear, and the Sony.

advertisement

Back