advertisement

Come on Sonos get a grip!!

G

Guest432

Sonos announced that hi-res support is not on their roadmap.

We know their hardware will support it but why do they insist on restricting us to 16/44. I've got some music in 24/92 that I have to play using a standalone laptop would be so much better if I could play everything via the Sonos.

Would buy a Simple Audio device if the app wasn't awful and they had Qobuz.

I agree that the difference is negligible or none but I'd like to be able to play both standard and hi res files through the same device. The whole premise of sonos is it's simple and easy to use app and multi room playback.

It can't be that difficult to add a feature that makes it more universal for mixed libraries.

I agree that the difference is negligible or none but I'd like to be able to play both standard and hi res files through the same device. The whole premise of sonos is it's simple and easy to use app and multi room playback.

It can't be that difficult to add a feature that makes it more universal for mixed libraries.

It might be a bandwidth issue with their proprietary networking technology.

True but I don't think any streamers recommend using wifi for hi-res.

Yes I totally agree that this a very poor decision from Sonos.

It is the main reason I carry on using my now discontinued Logitech Touch (with the EDO mod it happily works up to 24-192).

I would have seriously considered the Sonos stuff as a replacement had they not persisted in this No Hi-Res policy.

We know their hardware will support it but why do they insist on restricting us to 16/44. I've got some music in 24/92 that I have to play using a standalone laptop would be so much better if I could play everything via the Sonos.

I think Sonos hardware runs on a 20-bit architecture. If so, going to 24-bit would be a fairly significant re-working of the Sonos system, and would be unlikely to realise sales large enough to justify the root-and-branch changes required.

Not forgetting that every single Sonos user up until the time a 24-bit system was launched would be left high and dry with what they felt was second-class Sonos.

Finally, Sonos appears to be pushing the integrated speaker units controlled by smartphones instead of a part of a 'legacy' audio system. Although it rebranded Sonos Connect and Connect:Amp, development seems to be concentrated on the Play and Playbar lines now. And a drive to 24/96 and beyond is not just off the roadmap here; it's on another map altogether.

Simple, if a little direct, answer. Get used to it, or get something else!

Because about 1% of users want it (maybe less).

Remember, alot of them are probably streaming mostly mp3 content so hi-res is barely on the radar.

It's an economic decision and Sonos seem to know what they are doing on the marketing front. You wouldn't hear the difference on their integrated players so it would only benefit the Connect users which is probably a fairly small minority.

They have got a grip, or seem to have, a very good handle of where their market growth is coming from, and its not bye chucking development money chasing at best marginal improvements for audiophools

They have got a grip, or seem to have, a very good handle of where their market growth is coming from, and its not bye chucking development money chasing at best marginal improvements for audiophools

Why is it audiophoolery to want a single platform for all my music.

RTFM, I have already said it has nothing to do with quality.

We've been calling on the Sonos forum for them to do hi-res for years, but it's always fallen on deaf ears (pun intended!)

I find their advertising slogan amusing:

"Stream all the music on earth" As long as it's not hi-res! LOL

Maybe someone should give trading standards a call? :rolleyes:

Just reading on the sonos forum and looks like there is a new product that supports hi-res and Qobuz called Bluesound Node.

Anyone tried it yet?

First time I've seen it. Sevenoaks sell it for £399 which is a decent price for a hi-res ZP90 alternative.

I'll be watching this with interest.

advertisement

Back