advertisement

Colin Wonfor's SECA amp build

Too early to pass comment Shaun as it's only one channel through stunt speakers.

Hopefully stereo tomorrow.

Great work Keith:cool:

Really nice, compact and well thought through layout.

I have similar plans for my transformer to allow a narrower Chassis footprint.

How's the heat?:)

Col thanks for the comments. The little board is an Avondale soft start. I need to rejig things in order to implement your soft start/speaker protector board.

The vertical transformers was an idea I pinched from Paul's(Quickie) SECA build pics.

Thanks Shaun. Temperature wise the amp sits at 43C after warming up for an hour but as you noted when playing music the temp drops by a few degrees and the heat spreader appears to be working as the temp difference across the sink is only a couple of degrees.

Very much looking forward to a proper listen today:cool:

''Thanks Shaun. Temperature wise the amp sits at 43C after warming up for an hour but as you noted when playing music the temp drops by a few degrees and the heat spreader appears to be working as the temp difference across the sink is only a couple of degrees''

Yes the spreaders seem to do what they say on the tin.

Much better heat spread over the sink.:cool:

That's a nice build. Where do you guys buy your heat spreaders from?

Incidentally, the stunt speakers, open baffle & full range drivers = pretty flash! ;)

I bought mine from the same guy. They were slightly twisted so had to do a little bit of straightening.

The speakers are 4" paper cone drivers from Tandy(remember them) so have seen a lot of use..

After listening to some vinyl for a few hours today I have a big grin on my face.

Thank you Colin.

I bought mine from the same guy. They were slightly twisted so had to do a little bit of straightening.

The speakers are 4" paper cone drivers from Tandy(remember them) so have seen a lot of use..

After listening to some vinyl for a few hours today I have a big grin on my face.

Thank you Colin.

So it OK then, good.

So it OK then, good.

So it's very, very good.:)

IMHO, to my ears and in my set up adding the regulated PSU made a big difference to the overall sound.

A little trade of between the ‘’slightly’’ rosy presentation of the standard SECA and the grip, clarity and super resolution with the Dynamic PSU in pace. (sounds like a bigger amp to my ears)

Spooky amounts of detail. Cavernous bass, sweet but well resolved and smooth treble without any hint of harshness are stand out thoughts.

And a huge soundstage.

It’s also great fun to listen to.

Which I do

Often.

The Dynamic PSU is well worth the extra work involved with fitting it.:cool:

Keith

My spreaders where also slightly twisted (like me) but its soft metal and easy to sort with a little effort.

Much less expensive than some of the alternatives.:cool:

shaun, Keith very nice work there great looking amps and it sound like the sound as good also ;)

Might get a couple of boards for a future project, when I stop being addicted to R2R players :rolleyes::D

Alan

shaun, Keith very nice work there great looking amps and it sound like the sound as good also ;)

Might get a couple of boards for a future project, when I stop being addicted to R2R players :rolleyes::D

Alan

Thanks for the nice words Alan but my effort is a little bit of a lash up.

I'll get on to the chassis in due course.:D

These amps do sound really good and deceptively powerful given the low OP Watts. big open, detailed (pin drop) sound with great Bass and with the PSU quite unlike anything that I've heard.

Better than the Voyagers? no just different which is what I was hoping for.

I must admit to a certain fun factor in putting 2A across 1 OP device. makes the heart race a little.:D

If you are looking for something different then these amps are a good place to look.

just drop Colin a PM here or AOS.

Thanks for the nice words Alan but my effort is a little bit of a lash up.

I'll get on to the chassis in due course.:D

These amps do sound really good and deceptively powerful given the low OP Watts. big open, detailed (pin drop) sound with great Bass and with the PSU quite unlike anything that I've heard.

Better than the Voyagers? no just different which is what I was hoping for.

I must admit to a certain fun factor in putting 2A across 1 OP device. makes the heart race a little.:D

If you are looking for something different then these amps are a good place to look.

just drop Colin a PM here or AOS.

Look out for the new 100W/ch to be sold ready made only.

advertisement

Back