advertisement

Colin Wonfor's SECA amp build

SECA Mono No 2 up and running @ 2.1A

A&E on full standby but not needed:D:D[IMG

Larger heatsinks and copper spreader fitted. I also installed the BG –N IP Cap.

big%20seca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like all systems go.:cool:

Nice one Shaun glad to know that A&E's services were not req'd:D

Did you drill through the copper and into the heatsink for the transistor screws?

Hi Keith

I drilled the copper out first and then used it as a template to mark, drill and tap the heatsink.

The first one took a little time but the second was a little faster.:eek:

I also used some L extrusion to get max pressure between copper and heatsink.

The copper is untapped to give a sort of vice effect between heatsink and bracket.

Thanks

But not a patch on your fine build.:cool:

I'll be thinking about building the case around the heatsink but that's for the summer.

BTW

How did you implement your Case fan?

Hi Colin

yes I've seen that beastie on another forum and was wondering if you have it venting hot air out or blowing cold air in?

When I start work on the Chassis I'm planning on the fan dance but TBH @ 2.1A he's running warm rather than hot. (yes I've checked the copper and it's running at around the same).

the heat is spread much more evenly across the sink which is nice.

On the fan

I'm wondering about setting it up to blow onto the heatsink fin side rather than breathing over those small signal transistors.

any thoughts welcome. :)

''Nice work''

scruffy but sounding great. but the work is mostly yours.

This fan blow in a 24V DC fan a single diode rectifier and Bulk cap chosen to run the right speed very slow, and by trial and error. Heatsink run cool at 2.1A about 17-18C above ambient.

This fan blow in a 24V DC fan a single diode rectifier and Bulk cap chosen to run the right speed very slow, and by trial and error. Heatsink run cool at 2.1A about 17-18C above ambient.

You are feeding the fan 10ish V from what I've read. any chance of posting the little PSU circuit for that?

I think that I may go the lazy way and use a variable reg to adjust the fan speed.:rolleyes:

one of those little maplin jobs should manage fine and I have a few in my parts box.

elegant nope:eek:

quick for experimenting yes:D

You could go a step further, and vary fan speed to stabilise the heatsink temperature; fan would be off until heatsink gets to target temperature, than run faster on hot days and slower when cold.

You could go a step further, and vary fan speed to stabilise the heatsink temperature; fan would be off until heatsink gets to target temperature, than run faster on hot days and slower when cold.

Great Idea and one worth looking into:cool:

my music room is in a new build out building and has super efficient insulation which is great for the spring, autumn and winter but in the summer it runs hot even with the windows open.

Now if anyone has a circuit for a heat controlled fan then that would be a useful thing to add to this thread.

Keith

I’ve added the BA-3 FE Pre to my system today and it’s really a great match for the SECA as you mentioned. Big beefy firm and fruity.:D

Huge soundstage and great clarity for those who like a little gain.

2 x 20V 80VA transformers, 2 x simple 317/337 regs and 50K DACT all from the parts box. So a try out build but I’m thinking that it deserves better. I may try the super regs and a nice new case next for a Fugly :D special build.

But sounding superb as is.:) and well worth the outlay.

BTW

The BG-N in the SECA made a nice difference in terms of clarity and a mid-range to die for. I have a used Mundorf MKP in the BA-3 so keeps my efforts to use different cap types in the signal path intact.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

You’re very generous with what you know.:cool:

I’m a very, very happy camper.:):)

Glad that you like the BA3 pre Shaun as you say detailed;dynamics and a big soundstage:cool:

I wonder how it would sound with a pair of LesW's VBE's powering it.

The One4 has been dismantled; heatsinks drilled and tapped ready for the power supply and copper heat spreader which is on it's way as are the transformers which LesW has very kindly dispatched( thank you Les)

Looking good Keith.

Sounding good also.:)

I must admit that I hated the drilling and tapping part (and so did my fingers:D) but it’s just a necessary evil for the sound reward.

The copper seems to be running the sinks a little more evenly which helps things so a little time and cash well spent IMHO.

Looking forward to your thoughts one the regs are fitted.

I've had a fruitful few hours working on my build and managed to wire up and set one channel of the amp :D

Not played music yet. A couple of pics of the temporary lash up.Heatsinks are at 43C.

Oh and the transformers have just arrived so I'm going to be busy on Monday:)

Nice work Keith and even more irritating to see that the quality of your craft makes my efforts look pretty duff.

doing a worse job will make me feel better so a little less effort please:D

Are you finding the heat is being dispersed over the sink a little more efficiently with the copper fitted?

What bias setting (just noticed 2A on the Fluke)? Ambient temperature?

Looking forward to your thoughts.:)

How did you implement your Case fan?

Like this :

P7180117_zpseaibduaj.jpg

Pic is of 80mm fan, but a 120mm running @ 5v worked really well.

Very little wind noise, just the vibration to deal with, which can be minimised with some rubber mounts, or bands like Colin has done.

I don't about that Shaun as I have basically copied yours. You must have known;)

The second copper bar has had to have elongated holes in some places:mad:

What is it they say; measure twice; cut/drill once. I'm afraid I got it a--e about face with the second one.

I don't about that Shaun as I have basically copied yours. You must have known;)

The second copper bar has had to have elongated holes in some places:mad:

What is it they say; measure twice; cut/drill once. I'm afraid I got it a--e about face with the second one.

and I made it up as I went along :D

I found it pretty tricky to line up all of those holes TBH so you are not alone on that.

Nearly cooking with gas Keith.

Hi Quickie

I was wondering about fanning the fins but its tricky (err quickie :D) as unless firmly secure the fan is going to want to oscillate wildly.

I would usually go for sorbothane mounts but then we have the heat factor to consider so maybe Colin’s method with the silicon rubber O rings may be the best solution.

also

Maybe building a false base into the chassis and fitting the fan there may also be good as the air flow can be directed over the fins something in the style that PD mentioned earlier in this thread.

No rush on that as the temp outside is dipping.

I have the one completed channel set for 200mv across R11 but have noticed that at switch on this peaks at 330mv before dropping to the set value over a period of 30/60 seconds. Is this normal?

Hi Keith

Both of my amps do the same with or without the new PSU so I'm sure it's fine.:cool:

They just take a little time to settle.

advertisement

Back