advertisement

Coffee machines

I recently flew home to new Zealand from America with a pavoni europiccola and a pound of beans in my cabin bag. I learned two things.
1) as per the TSA website, you can indeed board a plane with an espresso machine in your cabin bag.
2) it's not a good idea was every time you go through airport security they will pull it out, look confused, try to pull it apart, swab it for explosives, try to pull it apart some more, then finally hand it back to you to repack.

^ NZ (or perhaps it is Auckland) has more coffee shops per capita than anywhere. And many are very good.

@stormyuklondon1 if you're using an aluminium moka pot (most are), then you also need to buy an "induction diffuser" from any cook shop : it's basically a magnetic-steel disc that turns your induction ring onto a hot plate (also very useful if you need to use copper or alu pots occasionally). A good one is under twenty quid or so.

One you've got that, as @cubastreet says above, medium power on a small ring is sufficient, unless you want to hear how loud that pressure-valve is when it lets rip!

@stormyuklondon1 if you're using an aluminium moka pot (most are), then you also need to buy an "induction diffuser" from any cook shop : it's basically a magnetic-steel disc that turns your induction ring onto a hot plate (also very useful if you need to use copper or alu pots occasionally). A good one is under twenty quid or so.

One you've got that, as @cubastreet says above, medium power on a small ring is sufficient, unless you want to hear how loud that pressure-valve is when it lets rip!

Howdy,
that's a pretty good advice! I changed my old coffee maker to a moka pot and I'm more happy when ever. And you know the biggest problem I had? Cleaning it. Damn those ninja bars. funny thing is that they even write ads how to clean ninja bars, lol
Never ever I'm doing it with the help of machine. Only self made coffee!

I have a bean to cup machine (saeco) which does the job. I was the main unit inside every two weeks and that keeps it going but this is a 10 year old machine. I very much doubt it that i could get away with such a maintenance routine if i bought a jura.

As I went down the rabbit hole with espresso machines many years ago I’ve not needed to look at a B2C but I’m led to believe many are pretty yuk inside where coffee and milk can not be cleaned properly and become disgusting over time so if I were looking that would a key area for me to investigate.

I looked after a commercial office B2C machine for a few years. If you stick to the cleaning regime the interior parts will remain clean.

In the end it broke down frequently, plastic parts cracked etc and it wasn't worth continuing with it. From memory it lasted about 4 years.

advertisement

Back