advertisement

Coffee machines

onlyconnect

pfm Member
We have a burr-type grinder and a Gaggia, all works well. However there is domestic pressure to reduce the space taken up by two separate machines. I'm wary of bean to cup machines as there seems to be more to go wrong. But perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily? Any recommendation?

Tim

A Mignon grinder can hide demurely in a Gaggia’s shadow. Or an MBK manual can sit in a draw when it is not dragged out for a photo op.

50286077533_d9a6363c2c_c.jpg

We have a burr-type grinder

which one. If we know the model etc we might be able to recommend something that takes up less space.

Gaggia is pretty slim, so you might struggle to reduce the footprint with a B2C machine.

I should add B2C machines are built with many compromises.

What is your budget for footprint reduction, and are you grinding only for espresso?

A Mignon grinder can hide demurely in a Gaggia’s shadow. Or an MBK manual can sit in a draw when it is not dragged out for a photo op.

50286077533_d9a6363c2c_c.jpg
How do you find your Gaggia Classic? I’ve had two and they’re tricky to get the coffee right- maybe that’s the attraction, like double declutching?

How do you find your Gaggia Classic? I’ve had two and they’re tricky to get the coffee right- maybe that’s the attraction, like double declutching?
It's possible that I simply don't know what a good coffee is, or it's possible that I was lucky enough to hit on a good second-hand machine (earlier Italian-made version, no corner-cutting plastic bits, one or two coffee-geek mods etc.) But once the grind is right it's pretty consistent.

This is the current arrangement. The two machines are not in fact adjacent. The grinder is excellent, you just select how much you want and press the button.

coffee.png

Tim

Last edited:
I and my extended family like the coffee Nespresso machines, frothers and capsules make but we drink cappuccinos and suchlike so obviously haven't a clue. I even add a bit of instant to my cup to sharpen it up a little on occasion !

It's possible that I simply don't know what a good coffee is

Broadly speaking, if you can taste the sweetness in your coffee then you are making good coffee.

EDIT: I have just seen your picture, so apologies for if the egg sucking lesson :)

If a pod machine I agree with Tassimo making the best coffee plus the advantage of having Americano as a thing, no staffing about.
I've also shyed away from B2C machines for the same reason as OP.
Here I just use a paper pod machine (no Tassimo here), job done. I made a point of reducing my coffee intake so just cannot be bothered anymore with getting "the best".

advertisement

Back