advertisement

Cockerel noise

Try Sandhill Cranes for racket -sounds like a rusty barn door and these birds discuss everything constantly whether in flight or hunting on the ground. Had my young Irish Water Spaniel out for a run in the field behind the house -he spots something in "his" field that needs to be checked out-runs over to inspect-gets within about 10feet and it suddenly hits him "Ya -I'm a bird dog but momma never told me anything about birds this big and loud ?" races back to me - runs between my legs and sits there with his head sticking out between my legs -pretty clearly he was interested in how I'd deal with this situation -but wasn't motivated to do anything about this BIG bird.
Reminds me of my grandmother's Jack Russell that thought it was harder than anything else walking the Earth. Well, that is apart from next door's Siamese cat, that really WAS hard. One day the cat was strolling our garden in the usual feline proprietorial fashion when the dog saw it and decided that it had to be seen off. She launched into a full scale, highly vocal attack from 20 yards out. When she was at full speed and closing on the cat, the cat got into a boxer's crouch, tucked its chin in and braced for impact. The dog elected to swerve the cat and carry on with the charge at an imaginary foe beyond the cat and out of sight.

I was thinking of something a little less extreme, like a Bofors.

There's at least two, maybe three. One of them kicks off at least an hour before it is even anywhere near getting light like 4am or something daft, not sure if it is just stupid or bored.

I've been round but nobody comes to the door, I don't think they actually live in the house but in an out building on the back yard like a right pair of clampits.

A spray fitting on a hose, set to jet setting. It'll reach quite a way and a quick pulse will make them jump off the fence. Won't stop them making a noise but they'll learn to keep off that fence.
This works for me to move seagulls along and isn't harmful.

I'm surprised that Mr Fox hasn't come calling yet. One thing's for certain - he will. He always does.

We heard a racket outside our living room window many years ago, in Manchester, and discovered our cat holding a pullet by the neck. He had a look of panic in his eyes, and seemed very relieved when we rescued the bird. Or him! It came from a garden behind ours, so I went and stuffed it back under the fence. He also managed to bring a magpie in through the cat flap, which then happily sat on the pipes near the ceiling. It was very tame, and I was going to keep it, but it turned out to belong to a neighbour.

I'm surprised that Mr Fox hasn't come calling

We feared similar when our hens were uncaged (we live in a village) but it never happened. A local farmer told me that since they’ve become more adult with spraying etc. there are rich enough pickings for foxes not to have to wander.

Might be worth checking your deeds to see if keeping of poultry, pigs etc is prohibited.
thats a good idea .you can easily get the land registry deeds to neighbours property for a small fee at land registry .i have done this a number of times to address antisocial behaviour

If its a rented property then the landlord may be interested to know .certainly environmental health will assist

advertisement

Back