advertisement

Cockerel noise

I thought you needed a cockerel for the ladies to lay eggs? Shows how much I know about it.

The strangest neighbour noise complaint I came across was in Southend where someone was keeping Venezuelan tree frogs in a greenhouse. When it got a bit, er, warm, the noise was astonishing

All poultry and captive birds should be contained and under cover due to current bird flu rules (irrespective of how many birds they have or location in the country). Details here including what the owners should be doing to keep them contained and the biosecurity measures to be followed:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...prevention-zone-declared-across-great-britain

It wont stop the birds crowing but it might mean the owners reconsider whether they wish to keep chickens. There is a Defra telepone line on the website for reporting suspected cases of avian flu.
That's tightened up. When I was involved in poultry last year the backyard flocks with something like 5 birds or fewer got an exemption. Clearly not now.

If the neighbours are determined to keep them a low roofed house can help. Theory is that the cockerel has to stretch it's neck up to make the noise and a roof low enough will make this impossible. Still perfectly comfortable.

Black out coop is an alternative, there are loads of timers on the market to open the door at a more sociable time.

I live on a regular residential street not next to a farm, should I have to put up with several cockerels walking along my fence about 5 yards from my bedroom window crowing all flipping morning? They're doing my flipping nut in.

If your neighbours flora comes over your side, you are allowed to cut it back, soo presumably the same rule applies to fauna.

However, remember that you can only cut off what is on your side, which is about half a cock judging by the photo, and you must return the 'clippings' to the owner.

Get a peacock.

:D Got eight of the buggers and they make a right bloody racket. Fortunately I have no neighbours (other than one relatively close old lady who is more animal mad than we are) as otherwise I'd fully expect to be visited upon.. well in reality I wouldn't have them if I didn't live in the countryside. As for cockerels in an urban area... just no! Not acceptable in my book, but not sure what the law is relating to the noise levels which are doubtless considerable or to bird flu for such small populations.

I have a very, very low tolerance for noise and trespass from my neighbour's domestic animals (partly because we do a lot to encourage native fauna) and I'd be sorely tempted to go straight to the 'Coq au Vin' option and avoid confrontation with the neighbours and endless hours engaging with council bureaucracy.

Scatter a few feathers round the lawn and blame it on a fox.

For a 'Tales of the unexpected' style plot twist, you could invite the neighbours round for dinner to unwittingly help eat the evidence.

Last edited:
My dear departed mum though it would be a good idea to keep Peacocks and acquired a half dozen. Her Irish Wolfhound loved it’s all too temporary playmates.

Where are your local foxes? I'd imagine the life expectancy of a cock on the loose around my way would be measured in minutes.

I have a very, very low tolerance for noise and trespass from my neighbour's domestic animals (partly because we do a lot to encourage native fauna) and I'd be sorely tempted to go straight to the 'Coq au Vin' option and avoid confrontation with the neighbours and endless hours engaging with council bureaucracy.

Scatter a few feathers round the lawn and blame it on a fox.

For a 'Tales of the unexpected' style plot twist, you could invite the neighbours round for dinner to unwittingly help eat it.

But check for any CCTV cameras first....

oh yes - i once stayed in a hotel in India that had peacocks wandering the grounds - what a racket....

Slightly OT, but Mrs Seeker and I visited Exmoor Zoo. We went to look at the melanistic Leopard ("The Beast") they have there and a load of peacocks / peahens were sat on a ledge overlooking the enclosure it was in. The big cat had clocked these peacocks and just sat there 'chatting' at them like our cats do when they're indoors and see birds bouncing around the garden here. Funny.

Try Sandhill Cranes for racket -sounds like a rusty barn door and these birds discuss everything constantly whether in flight or hunting on the ground. Had my young Irish Water Spaniel out for a run in the field behind the house -he spots something in "his" field that needs to be checked out-runs over to inspect-gets within about 10feet and it suddenly hits him "Ya -I'm a bird dog but momma never told me anything about birds this big and loud ?" races back to me - runs between my legs and sits there with his head sticking out between my legs -pretty clearly he was interested in how I'd deal with this situation -but wasn't motivated to do anything about this BIG bird.

advertisement

Back