advertisement

Co-Codamol Withdrawal

I have been taking 6 co-codamol a day, on and off for 3 years. I haven't kept count but after a very few weeks you become immune, at which time I generally stop for a week. When I mentioned this to the pahrmacist, she said that most people stop for a couple of days and they work again after that.

Quote from my doctor - 6 per day - that does not worry me. It should not be a problem.

yes big problem when Dr`s prescribe these strong opiods with no laxative , constipation is a horrible side effect
I’m not a fan of 30/500 co-codamol at all, too many negative side effects and for me, it’s less effective than Tramadol which (for me) has no significant negative effects.

I had a horrendous experience with it about 9 years ago whilst bed ridden with a severe arthritis attack… I was already in horrific pain, but the codeine tore my gut to shreds, I was severely constipated and had to be re-admitted to hospital for treatment. Never touched it since.

I went through absolute hell coming off tramadol.
Those talking of a couple of days unpleasantness don’t know the half of it.

Obviously that depends on the dosage. FWIW 50mg Tramadol tablet is 2.6 times stronger than a 30mg Codeine tablet.

Not to diminish your experience in any way and I am pleased you recovered.

It’s no big deal and they didn’t offer much pain relief anyway, I’ll be having my first hip replacement in 4 weeks time so I can put up til then
Good luck, I had mine replaced in December and the difference is astonishing. I can walk now without looking like a 90 year old. Good time to get it done too, the hot weather will help you keep the food intake down hopefully, I was laid up over Christmas and new year with not a lot to do except eat rich food and Christmas choccies. Still trying to shift the 1 1/2 stone I put on..

yes big problem when Dr`s prescribe these strong opiods with no laxative , constipation is a horrible side effect
Absolutely!

After my bike accident I was on Tramadol and the constipation quickly became a problem. Bit of an issue when that's never been part of your life and have no remedies in the house and have limited mobility (making things worse) and can't get to the shops!

Absolutely!

After my bike accident I was on Tramadol and the constipation quickly became a problem. Bit of an issue when that's never been part of your life and have no remedies in the house and have limited mobility (making things worse) and can't get to the shops!

I was well aware of the risk beforehand; hospital food was mainly ultra processed carbs and "something to help you go".

Didn't touch anything in there apart from a yoghurt and my OH kept up a daily supply of mega salads so no problem!

Also suspected that the limited mobility when i was in a wheelchair wouldn't help so kept up a good level of chillies in every meal.

My daughter and her husband took these like sweets, I never questioned why! They have both stopped taking them now.
I didn't realise they were dependant on them.

You almost certainly will not get more opioids after a hip op, I was discharged with paracetamol.
Pain research consistently shows that the most effective analgesic for both acute and chronic pain is a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen and this is now almost always preferred to paracetamol and codeine medicines unless any of these drugs are contra-indicated for some reason. So best practice now is, I believe, to start with paracetamol, then add ibuprofen and only then consider opioids.

BTW it's perhaps also worth saying that something like 15% of the population do not metabolize codeine and it has literally no effect at all.

Pain research consistently shows that the most effective analgesic for both acute and chronic pain is a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen and this is now almost always preferred to paracetamol and codeine medicines unless any of these drugs are contra-indicated for some reason. So best practice now is, I believe, to start with paracetamol, then add ibuprofen and only then consider opioids.

BTW it's perhaps also worth saying that something like 15% of the population do not metabolize codeine and it has literally no effect at all.
Yep, I have to be a little careful with Ibuprofen, codeine massively disagrees with me.

Constipation is a very painful side effect post op, I also had trouble passing water. A catheter is not fun at all.

Was not taking that many on average 4 a day and stopped because they didn’t really work, now I’m getting the withdrawal symptoms, any one experienced these ?

Best Regards Anthony
Codeine is known to be addictive. Not surprising really, it's an opioid (a relative of Morphine?). When I was given a packet by the hospital after my hernia op, I was given strict instructions not to take more than I had been told. I was to use other pain killers (ibuprofen/paracetamol) if the pain still wasn't tolerable.

Addiction wasn’t the problem, they didn’t do what they were supposed to do ( Kill Pain ) but the ( possible ) side effects were out in force, I had no problem stopping them but I feel like shit since I have.
The whole health service is all over the place, I was given them on repeat prescription a while back now I’m told they can’t be on repeat.

The whole health service is all over the place, I was given them on repeat prescription a while back now I’m told they can’t be on repeat.
Just an anecdote from me. A couple of weeks ago I strained my back, doctor prescribed 30/500 cocos, I went to the chemist to find he'd prescribed 200! I came away thinking "this must be serious, he expects me to be in bad pain for a long time."

In the event the cocos were useless -- the pain just broke through. And the pain went away after 36 hours.

The last time I'd had them was maybe 15 years ago, when I broke a rib, and they were really effective in that case. But the medics were very cautious about repeat prescriptions. I maybe took them for 6 week, I was given lots of dire warnings about terrible side effects, and I had to see the doc face to face each time I wanted a new prescription.

I'm absolutely sure that my current GP was following NICE protocol -- he's like that, he follows it to the letter. What you see is changing protocols I guess.

About 8% of the population is unable to metabolise codeine to its active metabolite, morphine, leading
to codeine not working for them as pain relief.

advertisement

Back