advertisement

Co-Codamol Withdrawal

About 8% of the population is unable to metabolise codeine to its active metabolite, morphine, leading
to codeine not working for them as pain relief.

That's interesting, in hospital they gave me oral morphine as a top up and i'm sure that did absolutely nothing.

I do find Ibuprofen works very well for me though, first sign of gout and i do a double dose for a day with loads of water which usually does the job. I always take a months' worth in my holiday drug pack.

Best wishes Anthony, pain meds can be tricky to get right so best to come off the tablets under a Doctors supervision.

I’ve been looking for this Horizon show for ages, obviously having the late Dr Michael Mosley it was always going to be good.

Check out from 9.40 for a medication comparison!

Last edited:
Best wishes Anthony, pain meds can be tricky to get right so best to come off the tablets under a Doctors supervision.

I’ve been looking for this Horizon show for ages, obviously having the late Dr Michael Mosley it was always going to be good.

Check out from 9.40 for a medication comparison!

My iPad browser is no longer supported but a search on Dailymotion for Horizon S52E01 and it should pop up.
Wow 😮

I was on opiates for over 3 months late last year after fracturing a vertebrae when I slipped trying to pick up my 208kg motorbike off the ground after dropping it for the first time (I also lifted uphill as I didn’t want to scratch the crashbars on a new bike…stupid 🤪). I hated what they did to my brain while on them, expected issues coming off after 3.5 months, but is was actually easy for me as benefits of brain working again outweighed increased pain. Good luck, whichever ways it works for you is a trial regardless I think.

Over 30 years ago I mashed a foot when fecking around with my brothers trial bike in a quarry, foot 180 degrees pointing in wrong direction after it got caught in a fast spinning rear wheel trying to exit bike. Pain after metalwork was horrendous, but not as bad as coming off the Morphin drip I got while I was in recovery in the hospital for 4 weeks - early 20s and I was like a Trainspotting scene when I first came out…

Good luck

That's interesting, in hospital they gave me oral morphine as a top up and i'm sure that did absolutely nothing.

Codeine works because you turn it into morphine using an enzyme in your liver and the people for whom codeine doesn't work don't have this enzyme. Morphine though always works :)

Codeine works because you turn it into morphine using an enzyme in your liver and the people for whom codeine doesn't work don't have this enzyme. Morphine though always works :)
A dentist friend told me that morphine is interesting because it does not inhibit the body's physiological reactions to pain, so as a medic he can still monitor elevated heartrate etc. However it acts upon your psychological response, in short you still experience pain but no longer give a toss.

There have been some things in dentistry as well I recall that use noise to block out the pain, if you have vertigo and the ears are the problem the brain starts to ignore the signals that are being sent but it won’t ignore the limbs and eyes, what an amazing thing we have between our ears.

A dentist friend told me that morphine is interesting because it does not inhibit the body's physiological reactions to pain, so as a medic he can still monitor elevated heartrate etc. However it acts upon your psychological response, in short you still experience pain but no longer give a toss.
A friend of mine with chronic pain says that Tramadol takes her away from the pain rather than the pain away from her. She also thinks that Sertraline is a great help, because it reduces her negative psychological response - anxiety and depression I guess - to her pain.

There have been some things in dentistry as well I recall that use noise to block out the pain, if you have vertigo and the ears are the problem the brain starts to ignore the signals that are being sent but it won’t ignore the limbs and eyes, what an amazing thing we have between our ears.
yes indeed. My mother has an electrical implant that suppresses chronic pain by swamping the pain receptors with pulses of electricity. A similar device was in the news this week where a kid with epilepsy had an experimental brain implant that did the same for reducing his fits.

yes indeed. My mother has an electrical implant that suppresses chronic pain by swamping the pain receptors with pulses of electricity. A similar device was in the news this week where a kid with epilepsy had an experimental brain implant that did the same for reducing his fits.
There was something I read at school -- I can't remember if it was Xenophon or Aristotle -- where he talks about someone going to the beech to sooth their pain with an electric eel.

A friend of mine with chronic pain says that Tramadol takes her away from the pain rather than the pain away from her. She also thinks that Sertraline is a great help, because it reduces her negative psychological response - anxiety and depression I guess - to her pain.
Mandryka, from my experience that first sentence is a very accurate description.

Thats a good description. I still sometimes use co-codamol 30mg but the full dose of 8 per day when things were bad..................

Likewise morphine. I had it via mouth in hospital and was surprised that it didn't kill the pain but it was such a nice relaxing experience that I didn't care. I can see how this could be addictive.

Thats a good description. I still sometimes use co-codamol 30mg but the full dose of 8 per day when things were bad..................

Likewise morphine. I had it via mouth in hospital and was surprised that it didn't kill the pain but it was such a nice relaxing experience that I didn't care. I can see how this could be addictive.
I had it in hospital and I was totally off my tits 10 minutes later. Pain? Dunno. What time is it? Dunno. You can indeed see how it's so addictive. If I were terminally ill I'd want a daily supply.

advertisement

Back