advertisement

'Classic' Japanese amplifiers

Surprised no one has mentioned the Yamaha CA1000 - I had a love affair with the looks and the sound in Class A mode - didn't like my Gales at the time. Beautifully built with front panel switches like the lab gear of the time - a look not dissimilar to the Cambridge P60 I had before.
DGP

Ah, Yamahas.
I nearly bought a '400 Receiver, for bedroom use with LS3/5as.
An Akai is 'standing in' at the moment.

Remarkably good, the little Akai.
A lot of 'that era' Japanese receivers are excellent.

Martyn.

First 'audiophile' system I ever head was a Nakamichi 1000 with a Nakamichi 650 power amp driving Quad ESL's. Wouldn't mind hearing that setup again. Funeral for a Friend was great at the time!

I have three JVC Quadraphonic amps. Loads of lights and bling. Not sure how they sound compared to other stuff as I am still looking for JVC speakers from the 70's to match them. I suspect they won't be great but I view as much as ornaments as anything else. My wife doesn't agree.

My experience of Jap- vs Brit- made hifi is admittedly dominated by the former, but from my experiences the Japanese equipment is better thought out, while the British equipment seems more utilitarian and rough 'n' ready. For instance, all of my Japanese amps/receivers have relays which mute the speakers upon switch on and switch off, protecting them from DC thumps. My Quad 909 on the other hand thumps every time you switch it on and off, and doesn't have the option to turn the speaker outputs off.

I once owned a Sony TA88 amp.
Very nice it was, too.
Especially with the Sony ST80F tuner ( later the ST88 ) I owned.
Linked up with JBL Control ones, it all sounded excellent on Radio 3.

Martyn.

I love the dynamic sound of the Sony TA88 / ST88 combo and have 2 pairs; great retro appearance, user friendly and nice and compact. Coincidentally one of the pairs is now on my workbench playing through a pair of JBL L110 speakers. Classic hifi at a very affordable cost.

IMO these Japanese V English comments are meaningless as each bit of kit, regardless of where it is built, should be assessed on its own merits.

I love the dynamic sound of the Sony TA88 / ST88 combo and have 2 pairs; great retro appearance, user friendly and nice and compact. Coincidentally one of the pairs is now on my workbench playing through a pair of JBL L110 speakers. Classic hifi at a very affordable cost.

IMO these Japanese V English comments are meaningless as each bit of kit, regardless of where it is built, should be assessed on its own merits.

I rather regret selling those excellent pieces of kit.
Hey, that's life...

Martyn

About 4 years ago I bought a Pioneer SA 9100 integrated amp from a car boot sale...it was yellow from years of cigarette smoke...but a couple of hours of careful cleaning and it looked like new. I tried it out and it sounded SUPERB and a good challenger (but not quite) for my then Audiolab 8000a.
I paid the grand sum of £10 for that...and a Goldring Lenco L75 turntable from the same guy. Resold on Ebay a couple of weeks later for £266 for the Amp (interest globally for that, but sold to a Sound Engineer from London) ....and £60 for the L75 which went to Japan! A nice profit...but equally nice to be the custodian of these classic items for albeit a short time :)

Here's mine,i love it :)
700es_zpsd828e3e7.jpg

I really like the way that 700ES retains the classic styling cues of 60s and 70s Sonys. Contrast it with the 1972 TA-1140 / ST-5150 I found in the local auction house last week:

28441648104_3d03159750_b.jpg

Same fat/thin styling bars top and bottom, same centralised logo, mostly the same font, even some similarities between the control positioning. Proper evolution! I wish Sony would get their act together and start producing decent audio kit again, they are much missed. I always really liked their CD players and the better turntables, amps and tuners of the past seem excellent too.

Looking over this thread and all the interesting contributions, I would love to find a well-fettled Sony TA1010.
Would I be as taken with it as I was then?
After all, my front end and speakers are streets ahead of what I used all those years ago.

Martyn.

I once owned a Sony TA88 amp.
Very nice it was, too.
Especially with the Sony ST80F tuner ( later the ST88 ) I owned.
Linked up with JBL Control ones, it all sounded excellent on Radio 3.

Martyn.

I had a Sony TA88 with the matching tuner many years go. Liked them a lot. Good sound and a neat design.

Jack

I use Yamaha C4/M4 amps from 1980 or a Kenwood Model 500 from the mid 70s. I'm very happy with the sound and build quality of both.

2016-08-21%2020.55.54_zpsfshhczkk.jpg

IMGP0010_zpsihmdzrx5.jpg

That's what we thought of them at the time too, compared to "real" separates. I think all this nostalgia for silver Japanese stuff is just rose-tinted-glasses revisionism.
I've gone full circle. The first proper amp I owned was a Pioneer SA-9800. At the time (as a young lad), I was more swayed by the fluoroscan meters and knob-count than its sound. Frankly, I can't remember whether it was good or not.

More latterly, my benchmark of good was Naim. Each progression from 102/180 to 52/135 got better. But something left me wanting, so I switched to Densen. I stayed with the Danes for a few years before I was able to complete and fully restore a classic Pioneer C-21/M-22 combo.

16887492-lg.jpg

As good as Naim and Densen are, the C-21/M-22 is better. Audio-centric friends who have visited and listened to the comparo agree, after they picked their jaws off the floor. I hope the Pioneers last as long as me, because I have yet to hear something better.

Even the Dynavector HX-1.2mk2 I opportunistically picked up a few months ago don't sound nearly as beguiling and engaging as the Pioneers, and we mostly know how well regarded Dynavector amps are.

Loving the Marantz Esotec stuff, very cool. Are you missing the front control covers for the power amps? Look immaculate otherwise.

Loving the Marantz Esotec stuff, very cool. Are you missing the front control covers for the power amps? Look immaculate otherwise.

No have the covers,just a pain to keep taking them on/off to power them up.
Need to put american 2 pin plugs so they all power up from the pre.

advertisement

Back