advertisement

Classic films.

You've mentioned the greatest film ever made. The Swimmer of 1968 is absolutely brilliant. Summed up American society in a way no other film has dared to do.

Warning: If you like the Jimmy Stewart Xmas movie, avoid this film unless you want you illusions shattered.
Yes indeed. Up there with my favourites, and really sticks in the mind. When it's a perfect, sunny day and everything seems lovely...

Turn the Key Softly c1952

Great London scenes and trolleybuses, but mostly because of three of my favourites -

• Kathleen Harrison (lived to 103)
  • Yvonne Mitchell (great actress and beautiful to boot)
  • Joan Collins (19 years old at the time)

Jesus, you lot couldn't stick to a spec if you tried.:)

10 films from the 40's to the 60's that BBC2 might show in the 70's and 80's?

This Happy Breed (Noel Coward & David Lean's stiry of a Claphanm family between the wars)
Le Bonheur (French - Agnes Varda's riveting new wave study of domestic disharmony)
Forbidden Games (French again - two children dealing with grief in WW2, heart rendingly lovely)
Ace in the Hole (The blackest reation of both Kirk Douglas and Billy Wilder)
The Entertainer (Laurence Olivier chews the scenery as failing end of the pier entertainer)
Tom Jones (just the best British film of the 60's - a riot)
The Fireman's Ball (The film that got Milos Foreman - who later directed One flew over the cuckoo's nest - chucked out of Czechoslovakia. Hilarious)
The Killing of Sister George (Sapphic Noir with Beryl Reid, chilling and very evocative of the period)
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Wild Bunch
You have excellent taste

What are your top 10 films from the 40’s to 60’s that I should watch with the captive audience that is my 2 younger (adult 23/25 yo) children.

Staying on topic.

The 39 Steps (1959 version although the 1935 version is well worth it)

Hell Drivers (1957) - gritty, you can smell the oil. Herbert Lom stands out, full of big egos.

The African Queen (1951) - the relationship twixt the two main characters is palpable.

The Ipcress File (1965) - a nice foil to the Bond films, excellent soundtrack

A Matter of Life and Death (1946) - Glorious and a bit bizarre

Moby Dick (1956) - Worth it for Peck’s performance, much of it filmed off of Ireland

Midnight Cowboy (1969) - box of tissues, will immortalise a certain piece of music.

My Fair Lady (1964) - worth it for the costumes alone.

Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? (1966) - Taylor and Burton on fire.

The Magnificent Seven (1960) - Because there should be at least one Western.

Quite hard to just stick to ten recommendations. I tried to pick a variety of styles.

(I have seen all of the films listed several times.)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Part of the impetus for this thread was the lyric from Rattlesnakes “she looked like Eve Marie Saint in on the Waterfront” which I’d never seen.

This was rectified tonight and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I was probably the least enthusiastic but as Edwyn Collins sang “my expectations should be lowered”.

Lee J Cobb, Karl Malden, Rod Steiger, what a cast even without Brando and Marie Saint. I can appreciate how edgy and pertinent it was in 1954 but somehow it didn’t fully overwhelm me. As I said the 2 children and Mrs Sloop enjoyed it. Think I’ll go for Marx Bros. next week!

.sjb

As it hasn't been mentioned: 'Seven Samurai' by Kurosawa. Top ten ever, in my book.

Less accessible than the hollywood spin-off I reckon. Also it is over 3 hours long, so teenagers are struggle with it.

But if you haven’t seen it, this is a cracker.

Shogun Assassin (1980)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081506/

My brother-in-law is a Professor of independent film, he could bore us all with esoteric film lists.
Currently writing his 15th book about independent film (or whatever) - he is a boring man.

Try Roman Holiday - Mrs Sloop will love it. Audrey Hepburn's first starring rôle, and she is the film. Sadly Gregory Peck as he himself said apparently wasn't well suited to his rôle, which was originally intended for Cary Grant. He refused, on the grounds he was too old for the part. Clearly changed his mind for later films :)

Jungle Book

The Jungle Book (1967) was the first film that I played (frequently) to my grandkids, they never tired of it, and a great introduction to Louis Prima who I like.

Not sure that young adults would be that interested.

Out of interest - after The Jungle Book, I pushed Yellow Submarine (1968) at my kids/G-Kids, ensuring that the fear of the Blue Meanies gets transferred to another generation. :)

The third film I played frequently to the kids/g/kids was Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
- later I added Mysterious Island (1961)

Ray Harryhausen was a genius in my opinion.

You've mentioned the greatest film ever made. The Swimmer of 1968 is absolutely brilliant. Summed up American society in a way no other film has dared to do.

Warning: If you like the Jimmy Stewart Xmas movie, avoid this film unless you want you illusions shattered.
The Swimmer is doing the rounds on UK TV, Sony Classic I think, at the moment. I shall look it up. I'm seeing SO much TV at the moment, anything good is worth watching.

The Swimmer is very good.

I saw it again last year and was shocked as I remembered it as a black & white film.

The Jungle Book (1967) was the first film that I played (frequently) to my grandkids, they never tired of it, and a great introduction to Louis Prima who I like.

Not sure that young adults would be that interested.

Out of interest - after The Jungle Book, I pushed Yellow Submarine (1968) at my kids/G-Kids, ensuring that the fear of the Blue Meanies gets transferred to another generation. :)

The third film I played frequently to the kids/g/kids was Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
- later I added Mysterious Island (1961)

Ray Harryhausen was a genius in my opinion.
I have fond teenage memories of a gang of us going to the local flea pit on our first motorbikes and getting told off for dancing on the back row seats like a line of black leather chorus girls.

Cool Hand Luke, The Day the Earth Caught Fire, Earth Versus The Flying Saucers, The Day The Earth Stood Still and got to have The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Quite a few other favourites already mentioned and lots that haven't.

I have fond teenage memories of a gang of us going to the local flea pit on our first motorbikes and getting told off for dancing on the back row seats like a line of black leather chorus girls.

That is something I would like to see :)

advertisement

Back