advertisement

Classic films.

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
You know those 101 films you must see before you become a Tory etc.

I see Apple TV has quite a few older films to rent. What are your top 10 films from the 40’s to 60’s that I should watch with the captive audience that is my 2 younger (adult 23/25 yo) children.

Over the year’s we’ve had a Christmas Eve “black and whitey”, last year being Gaslight which went down well.

In the remaining weeks of lockdown if we were to watch one a week, what would you recommend/watch?

I’m looking for the sort of movies BBC2 would have broadcast in the late 70’s early 80’s that just don’t seem to be shown anymore.

.sjb

I have a rotten memory but.. and straying a little outside your date parameters.:

Goodbye Mr Chips. Original version with Robert Donat.. though the much more recent Martin Clunes version is very watchable. The story is superficially very 'British'..and superficially very sugary, but it also examines racism, notions of duty, misplaced nationalism, the futility of war, etc.. etc.. And it moves me to tears every time I see it.

In The Heat of the Night. Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier: 'They call me Mr Tibbs!.'

All Quiet on the Western Front. 1930 version. 'War is hell'

Twelve Angry Men. Henry Fonda. 1957.

No Room at the Inn. 1949
Freda Jackson et. al. Slightly self indulgent of me since Freda Jackson was a pupil at my school.. the one I shared with Harold Shipman in the 1960s.. though she was there earlier in its brief early co-ed phase. I saw this film numerous times in the 1950s and have never forgotten it.

Two Lane Blacktop. 1971 James Taylor and Warren Oates in an enigmatic low budget but terrific 'road movie'.

Big Wednesday. 1978? A combination of 'Coming of Age' and classic 'Surf Movie'. Decent story with some tremendous surfing footage.

Brighton Rock: 1948 Classic British stuff.

The Third Man. 1949. Great story, terrific score and most of all... astonishing photography.

Sorry.. that's only nine.. like I said.. rotten memory. :)

Edit : P.S. And also worth saying that my taste in films is pretty narrow. I'm not a huge fan of comedies or romances..or of 'epics'.

But I've just recalled another... 'Laura'. A terrific mystery. which also features a great tune which was a big hit for Dick Haymes.

11206031_ori.jpg

IM SPARTACUS :rolleyes: , also so are Bothe of my friends,, also my two favourite films The day the earth stood still, black and white the original, and Apocalypse Now stunning on the big screen 28 millimetre, also the WALL Pink Floyd has to get a mention first time on acid, second on weed, third on beer, Jesus, what a teenage life,, :rolleyes: 1982, wow i was 22, just had to look this up,

Last edited:
quite right, can you imagine the extras on a film like Spartacus, the Ten Commandments, and the one with the chariots race at the end , jesus , my memory is shocking,

Marx Brothers top 3
Duck Soup
A Night at the Opera
Animal Crackers

Robert Altman x 2
Come back to the five and dime jimmy dean 1982
Nashville 1975

The Swimmer 1982

+1’s for Vanishing Point and Big Wednesday

The Cruel Sea 1952?
Whisky Galore! 1949?

Both memorable

Wicker Man aswell. Did you know that if it wasn't for the existence of the letter 'd', Edward Woodward would be called Ewar Woowar?

Try the Talking Pictures channel.
I watch 3 or 4 a week on there. Like -

Pool of London (1950s London smog, crime)
Calculated Risk (c1963 underground bank raid ends up blowing off the bloody doors and more ! )
Take a Girl like You (c1970 Hayley Mills and Olly Reed as an unfortunate but amusing pair, nicely dated locations)

I've noticed that some of these old movies are not so cheap to buy on DVD so the free-to-air TP channel is very good value.

Some Bogart:

The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Some Mitchum:

Out of the Past
The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Some Film Noir:

Double Indemnity
Farewell, My Lovely
The Postman Always Rings Twice

As Minio says, Talking Pictures TV has some good stuff (amongst a lot of old rubbish: 'Mother Riley Joins Up', anyone?) . Also on Freeview there's Sony Movies Classics: https://sonymovies.co.uk/special/sony-movies-classic

Hell Drivers
The Million Pound Note
Green Berets
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Paint Your Wagon
The Shootist
Sands of Iwo Jima
Hang em High

Lots of good ones already mentioned.

Keeping to just trucks;

Hell Drivers
Sorcerer