advertisement

Class D Amps - will they be the future.

Hello slingo, not yet, I’m waiting on delivery of my TDAI/CD1 combo this week. really really looking forward to it :). If all goes to plan I should have the system by Thursday

what kinda music you into?

Hi R Tee

Seeing as you've bought into the digital/Boundary Woofer/ EQ thing, I'd be interested to know what you thought of the matching Lyngdorfs DP1 speakers.

Drive units with no cabinets around them to slow them down just seem so much more articulate.

They are like more precise Jamo 909's with no bass.....worth a blast.

If it an honest statement it's not spamming, I for one would trust an informed opinion over one that's not. I'd like to try them and if i like them i'd like to buy them thats how it works; for me, and i hope for anyone else who actually like to try things before making comment.

relentless spamming just seems so inarticulate

It isnt spamming as he's totally right, open baffle speaker have some wonderful qualities. Having the 2+2 Lyngdorf system means you can accommodate open baffles much easier in a normal sized British living room (stick the bigger bass modules out of the way next to the wall) and still get full range sound, even in a small room, something you struggle with with large Jamo R909s!

Linkwitz has lots of writing about dipoles on his site.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

it’s not far from the theory of electrostatics really. I’ve been wanting and looking beyond the 'MDF box' for quite some time. If you look at what’s happening beyond standard boxes you'll notice how many open baffle 2+2 speaker systems are appearing on the market. let’s face it, it’s about time we had a proper development in 2 channel audio the standard 2 or 3 way speaker and analogue audio is well past its prime and with today’s prices looks like a total rip off. I honestly believe Class D/PWM digital amps and a genuine development in speaker design is needed. Lyngdorf is one company that has developed along the right lines; I personally hope more do, then it may make the market sit up and take note. It needs to otherwise the British hifi industry along with all its snake oilers will probably disappear in a few decades . I’ve noticed quit a few hi-end companies have started developing Roomcorrection amps; so far none are UK and all are European. Wonder how log it'll be till they design some dipole/sub/sat speakers....... leaving the MDF boxes behind to bury the british hifi industry in ;)

How much do you think a standard 2 way MDF boxed speaker cost to make but sells for say, £3K?

If it an honest statement it's not spamming

This is a thread about class D amps, and this is just another lyngdorf product placement in yet another thread by someone who sells them I like open baffle speakers just fine, but this is spamming, plain and clear.

how is that then? i started this thread, rob wasnt a member at the time. chris and russell had been for dems of the lyngdorf setup at gecko from what i gather. since then ive listend to opinion, demmed the TDAI/CD1 combo and decided to stop my purcase of a hicap2 and sell my supernait. the lyngdorf kit really is miles ahead of most stuff IMHO. its a bit like cars with out an ECU, would you really buy a classic carb'ed engined car for new car money? or would you buy one thats had a proper development program regardless of market demands. i'm personally looking forward to when i can buy a decent none petrol engined car..

please......, why are people so un-willing to accept something new? darren and ash ruined the image of AVIs quite nice little standmounts on PFM. all i've said is i like lyngdorfs kit enough to buy it. i cant see whats wrong with that. after all, this thread was about my curiosity of digital amps as i felt it was were i was heading.

its funny how some people dont like to hear about a positive outcome around here.. ;) why dont you try it then make your own mind up?

If you're interested in open baffle there are some Linkwitz Orion for sale in Kent, which I spotted on the Orion usergroup.

Some people are just so stuck in their ways. Some of them have had the same gear for 25 yeas without really trying anything else, they are psychologically wedded to it that nothing will ever get a fair crack of the whip.

Others can see no further past the end of the nose than their wallet, and have vested interest in nothing new gaining momentum if it isn't their 'new thing'.

Of course the flip side of this is the box swapper, who never has any one piece of gear for long enough to even begin to find something else to match it for some system synergy.

We are all on different paths.....

Some people are just so stuck in their ways. Some of them have had the same gear for 25 yeas without really trying anything else, they are psychologically wedded to it that nothing will ever get a fair crack of the whip.

No one ever said that Lyngdorf iscrap or not worth discussing (although they hardly invented open baffles or room correction). It's not the message, its the messenger and the methods of messaging, and that's why the refs to miniMe and the Wizard.

it’s not far from the theory of electrostatics really. I’ve been wanting and looking beyond the 'MDF box' for quite some time. If you look at what’s happening beyond standard boxes you'll notice how many open baffle 2+2 speaker systems are appearing on the market. let’s face it, it’s about time we had a proper development in 2 channel audio the standard 2 or 3 way speaker and analogue audio is well past its prime and with today’s prices looks like a total rip off. I honestly believe Class D/PWM digital amps and a genuine development in speaker design is needed. Lyngdorf is one company that has developed along the right lines; I personally hope more do, then it may make the market sit up and take note. It needs to otherwise the British hifi industry along with all its snake oilers will probably disappear in a few decades . I’ve noticed quit a few hi-end companies have started developing Roomcorrection amps; so far none are UK and all are European. Wonder how log it'll be till they design some dipole/sub/sat speakers....... leaving the MDF boxes behind to bury the british hifi industry in ;)

How much do you think a standard 2 way MDF boxed speaker cost to make but sells for say, £3K?

I'm with you all the way R-Tee. Nor do I see Robs comments as spamming.

I believe that B&W are in the throes of bringing out a new/updated 800 series range. Talk/rumour has it that the cabinets will be made of aluminium rather than MDF, to advance performance and lower cost of manufacture.

Much overlooked by subjectivist audiophiles, B&O have been making fully active speakers in aluminium 'cabinets' for some time, complete with Class D amplification (ICE power) and indeed their top models (Beolab 9's and 5's) feature cabinets made in part from high density mineral plastics - which enables them to move away from geometric box shapes with flat panels, and achieve better sonic performance coupled with very low cabinet resonance/readout.

There is no doubt that some audiophiles are wedded to particular concepts of sound and the philosophy of it's delivery. I am also equally sure there are members of this forum with undeclared allegiances/alliances with various commercial enterprises, where there is a vested interest to maintain the status quo and the business model that is putting bread on the plate - which is quite understandable, - but as you point out, it does not advance the art and science of HiFi - as in the closest approach to the original sound - one iota.

And of course, for many high end bedazzled audiophiles, it appears that science barely matters anyway. Needless to say, they will likely continue with this view until 'Y' generation starts to exercise it's financial and intellectual muscle and sweeps them all away as anachronisms of the past.

It's only likely then, that we will see the full fruition of forward thinking speaker designs and digital amplification come to pass - I hope to be around to see it. Those who think the younger generation need educating as to high quality vinyl or 20th century concepts of 'HiFi' are sadly mistaken. The future is already here; the 'old guard' just don't choose, or don't want to see it yet.

Best Regards

Jon...:cool:

I think there's a lot more going on behind closed doors than we know.

Because some of the "old guard" doesn't release products built with New Technology™ doesn't mean they are shunning them for any reasons other than not meeting old fashioned basics such as standards of performance, parts reliability, supplier reliability, serviceability, production problems, or cost vs. return, etc. For example, one Salisbury firm I'm familiar with began investigating Class D amps back in the seventies.

And of course, for many high end bedazzled audiophiles, it appears that science barely matters anyway. Needless to say, they will likely continue with this view until 'Y' generation starts to exercise it's financial and intellectual muscle and sweeps them all away as anachronisms of the past.

It's only likely then, that we will see the full fruition of forward thinking speaker designs and digital amplification come to pass - I hope to be around to see it. Those who think the younger generation need educating as to high quality vinyl or 20th century concepts of 'HiFi' are sadly mistaken. The future is already here; the 'old guard' just don't choose, or don't want to see it yet.

We don't wish to hold back progress, we just want to ensure that it's actually an improvement, and not just trading one set of problems for another. Think of the early transition from vacuum tubes to transistors for examples of that.

Us old fogeys just want to make sure that you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

We don't wish to hold back progress, we just want to ensure that it's actually an improvement, and not just trading one set of problems for another. Think of the early transition from vacuum tubes to transistors for examples of that.

Us old fogeys just want to make sure that you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

My apologies if I seemed to be denigrating 'older' people. I'm pretty much fast becoming, if not already in, that group myself, so my comments were more directed at those clinging to past notions of what HiFi philosophy/design is about as against embracing science lead future trends, rather than comments specifically directed at older/mature people.

My Apologies again

Kind regards

Jon...

advertisement

Back