advertisement

Clapton’s new single

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
"This has gotta stop"

Not gonna put up a link as the thrust of Claptons ire may contravene the AUP, but suffice to say that this has to be the most perverse 'protest song' I've ever heard.

John

I know Clapton fancies himself as a snappy dresser - is it about the disturbing tendency to fasten the bottom button of one’s waistcoat à la Southgate?

Clapton at the crossroads...
Devil - "Yes of course I can make you a guitarist so good you will be worshipped as a god. Are you interested?"
EC - "Ooooh, yes please Mr Beelzebub"
Devil - "Okay then...sign here...your blood will do nicely...did I mention the bit about your soul? And that you will always be a complete ****? Anyway... nothing to worry about...your x here, please!"

A bit meta there Mr Marchbanks. Lemme see if I can keep up. . .

I do not know whether waning and dotage and sartorial inelegance have anything to do with Ol Slowhand's anti-vax stance.

There. How am I doing? ;)

John

With his medical history it's a big leap to think many others are at risk.

Don't rate his output since he left Cream so i wouldn't have been a buyer anyway.

Eric: “hey Van…”
Van “yeah Eric?
Eric “pass the ventilator hose man”.

If you wanna hang out you've got to take her out
Oxygen
If you wanna get down, down on the ground
Oxygen

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie
Oxygen

If you got bad news, you wanna kick the blues
Oxygen
When your day is done and you wanna ride on
Oxygen

Oxygen

If your day is gone and you wanna ride on
Oxygen
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back
Oxygen

Oxygen

We know about EC's view on things but looking at the lyrics as they stand, it's a bit of a mild a protest against anything you care to mention.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ericclapton/thishasgottastop.html

What’s he whinging about this time? Could be anything from immigration to anti-vaccination/anti-mask given the lyrics.

PS Clapton’s greatest achievement was inadvertently creating Rock Against Racism. It was formed as a reaction to his spouting a load of ugly NF bile at a gig.

Nice music tho. Anyone who prefers Clapton from Cream to Clapton form some of the live blues stuff recently is weird.
And has no idea about what a guitar is and what it can do.

I think it's useful to separate who a person is from what they can do, otherwise ones list of what one allows oneself to get pleasure from is a very very narrow one.

Although, to be fair, some do like a narrow list.

I think it's useful to separate who a person is from what they can do, otherwise ones list of what one allows oneself to get pleasure from is a very very narrow one.

Blues is a black American protest music. To hear a white Englishman with highly dubious and outspoken politics appropriate it entirely removes its culture, meaning or context IMHO. I’d personally prefer to hear a scratched up Robert Johnson or John Lee Hooker 78 played back over the phone than see Clapton live in concert! I really don’t like commenting negatively on art, I’m very much in the ‘live and let live’ category, but Clapton is one of a very select few artists that just gets my back up! A multi-millionaire from recycling another culture’s music, the music of a people who he apparently doesn’t like sharing a country with. I do realise he’s revised this mindset over the years, but I have no idea how much is genuine, or how much is due to his position being untenable.

PS Morrissey is another, I’ve not wanted to play a Smiths record (and I was a fan) since he outed himself as a Britain First supporter etc.

I’m trying to see all of the good in Eric that George Harrison saw, but it’s rough going…

See the difference is, you WANT to know this crap, and I don't, for the very good reason that you have, in effect, just edged in a taint on the hundreds of hours of musical enjoyment I might have had from a fine guitarist in the years ahead, whereas, I have not dinted your political obsessions one millimeter have I?
You have your world view glasses on skewed IMO, and I imagine you'd say the same to me, but I, am not running a HiFi / Music forum.

Plenty of other amazing guitarists out there; try Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Joe Pass, George Benson etc. If you want blues go right to the source; Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters etc.

PS This is a thread in the off topic room discussing a specific Clapton single in the context of its politics. I make no apology in following that line of discussion. Had this thread appeared in the music room I may have thought twice about responding.

Although, to be fair, some do like a narrow list.

Quite. If I was too worried about musicians politics I wouldn't have bought albums by The Pink Fairies, Hawkwind, Gong, Crass, Style Council, The Redskins, Gang of Four...

advertisement

Back