advertisement

Cider - recommend me some decent cider

Jeremy Clarkson has warned customers who have bought his cider that some bottles could explode.

The 63-year-old presenter said a mistake meant there was a "slim chance" some of the Hawkstone Cider bottles may erupt.

The cider comes from Hawkstone Brewery in Bourton-on-the-Water in Gloucestershire.

On Twitter he said: "If the cap has the code L3160, open it underwater, pour it away and get in touch for a refund."

He said: "There's been a massive cock up and as a result, there's a very slim chance some of our Hawkstone CIDER bottles might, there's no easy way of saying this, explode.

"Really sorry about this but on the upside, the beer is fine and still delicious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-66278076

Dunkertons - I've recently discovered their 'Black Fox' organic. Like others, I find all ciders sweeter than I'd like, Westons, Aspinall included. This is one of the best I've found, described as medium dry. Some Waitrose stores have them, where I bought mine.

Exceptional British Organic Cider – Dunkertons Cider

It's cheaper from Waitrose, but they only stocked 'Black Fox'. The full range on the website looks interesting, including a 'dry' cider.

Yes, it's remarkably good for a supermarket job costing very little.
In a few minutes I'll be trying a glass of my own that's had 6 weeks as a secondary fermentation. I'm optimistic that it will have mellowed. If so I've built a reasonable stock in the garage.

So, what was the verdict?

This Pacory pear cider from Normandy is remarkable. Low on alcohol at just 4% it allows the deliciously ripe and sweet fruit to shine. It also had the benefit of teaching my 18 yr old son how to open a champagne cork. Discovered at a local wine shop, £8 for 75cl.

PacoryPoireAOPDomfront2020_1600x.jpg

Cider around here, is often supplied twigs-in, sources slightly unspecified, and is generally damn good fun. Even if sometimes dayglo orange one batch, different cloudiness the next - but often deadly-alcoholic in a way you don't feel - until you try to change stance about a pint and a half, in.

Obvs - no brand names, no online retailers.

%}

If I get talking to random people while waiting for a night bus after a night out , I find a 4 pack of K cider from the local late night booze shop very nice. A 2 litre bottle of White Ace is good if you end up going back to their place to listen to some tunes.

This Pacory pear cider from Normandy is remarkable. Low on alcohol at just 4% it allows the deliciously ripe and sweet fruit to shine. It also had the benefit of teaching my 18 yr old son how to open a champagne cork. Discovered at a local wine shop, £8 for 75cl.

PacoryPoireAOPDomfront2020_1600x.jpg
That’s just up the road from us - their Pacory Calvados is wonderful. They’re a really friendly small farm producer. I’ll try some of their pear cider next time I visit thanks!

Last edited:
The Sandford Devon Scrumpy is worth a try as not too sweet and has a reassuringly traditional vibe.

That’s just up the road from us - their Pacory Calvados is wonderful. They’re a really friendly small farm producer. I’ll try some of their pear cider next time I visit thanks!
Wow, that's amazing it's local to you! I absolutely love a good Calvados - my local normally stocks the Pacory but is out of stock right now; I'll buy it when next available. Cheers.

advertisement

Back