advertisement

Cider - recommend me some decent cider

We have have some home grown commercial cider here, "Moose" which is pretty OK, certainly well ahead of the OP's quoted too-sweets.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJidW5na2kiLCJrZXkiOiJwdWJsaWMvc3RhdGljcy9pbWFnZXMvcHJvZHVjdHMvMjA5MjUvYi8xNjU5MDY4MjkwODQxLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwid2lkdGgiOjEwMjQsImhlaWdodCI6MTAyNCwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJyIjoyNTUsImciOjI1NSwiYiI6MjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6MX19fX0=

i like a cider but find the shop bought standard stuff like Aspalls, Magners, Thatchers, strongbow etc too sweet and not very good.

Bulmers is about the only exception

recommend me some nice cider (online purchase only) that is dry, possibly on the dry side of medium dry. Dont mind still or sparkling. (oh and nothing flavoured with daft fruit like mango, red berries....etc)
Strongbow is Bulmers so I am a bit confused.

No matter, Weston' is my brewer of choice - and there are many ciders to choose from as well as a perry.

The Red Bank Cider place I linked to up thread always started with a taste of their ‘dry’, it was very sour indeed. Then they add different ciders to that base to find the blend that matches your palette. Fascinating stuf. Very tasty too!

Near to where I grew up - very good , the real deal. https://www.westons-cider.co.uk/

I generally buy their ciders and really enjoy them. I avoid Bulmers, their ciders lack character and, worse still, they bought one of my favourite cider companies (Inch's) and shut it down. I've ordered some of the Winkleigh cider company's (they have a family link to Inch's) cider online but it worked out expensive and a bit of a disappointment.

If you can find it this is excellent -
Duché de Longueville Cidre de Récoltant
I have spent about a decade working on home brew to get close to that Normandy style. FWIW I have found if you ferment until dry, then bottle for a secondary fermentation with about 7g sugar per litre and leave it for a few months in the bottle, you can get close enough for Devon ... no messing about with chemicals, just fresh pressed apple juice and a little cider yeast to make it more reliable to start.

I have spent about a decade working on home brew to get close to that Normandy style. FWIW I have found if you ferment until dry, then bottle for a secondary fermentation with about 7g sugar per litre and leave it for a few months in the bottle, you can get close enough for Devon ... no messing about with chemicals, just fresh pressed apple juice and a little cider yeast to make it more reliable to start.

do you sell online?

do you sell online?
Oh how I wish, sorry, just for home consumption, I haven't gone blind yet, so if you happen by North Devon I'll gladly let to you try your luck too! No, more a vote for the marvelous Normandy style. You used to be able to buy it in Majestic or somewhere main stream but I am not sure now.

EDIT: to be honest though it may be a bit too sweet for your taste? I would not call it dry ...

Nice to see others share the love for Westons. If you are ever near Much Marcle in Herefordshire Westons HQ is also worth a visit - tour where they grow and make it, taste, buy, lunch etc. Really top cider a world away from Bulmers, Magners etc.

* Years ago Bulmers did one fabulous real still cider - Bulmers Traditional - I almost preferred it to Westons for a while but I think it got axed a long time ago.

A hand grenade at the cider house in farncombe I think it was used to be fun.

Went there for my 21st and ended up in A&E with a mate who fell out of the front door, 29 years ago. Crap.

advertisement

Back