advertisement

Chromecast Audio sound quality experiences

CCA was nice, it didn't have any obvious flaw. Compared to a C.E.C. DA5, it wasn't night and day, a small margin for the CEC.

Added a 50$ linear ps to it, and things got better, smoother and deeper.

Eventually replaced by a Lumin D2 which was better and cleaner esp treble was better organized and had better shaded instrument tones.
Omer.

FDR doesn't have any effect on the digital output, only the internal DAC output. See my link above.

"When Chromecast Audio is connected through an optical interface, it will always use Full Dynamic range. Setting Full Dynamic range to off won't have an effect as it will remain on."

Cheers!

Oi, I came here for a consensus!

It is funny how we get such different findings. Thanks for them.

Basically I've compared CD and CD rips/CCA in to the last three DACs (Rega, Quad Artera, and 2Qute) and each time the respective gap between them has been very obvious. Again, fine as the CCA is in isolation.

Then you read things like this from the ASR site (much as I didn't want to go in to the measurements side here): 'Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50*, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit.'

*they have the D50 and 2Qute the same on the SINAD comparison, if that's what they're going by.

I think I'll just have to try a streamer or two and see what happens.

A unit with chromecast built-in does sound good if it beings improved SQ, such as Primare mentioned, if mixed reports above. Not least in I've ripped the CD collection (FLAC) and was surprised it was under 500 GB, and do like the simple idea of just sticking a 512 SD card in a cheap tablet for audio only and casting them.

My own experience with streamers is that usability is a bigger defining factor than sound quality, as while the latter has varied a bit across the ones I've tried none of them have been unlistenable. On the other hand some have had control apps that were awful - for example it was the main reason I stopped using a Pi as a streamer as none of the options I tried had decent apps (although the sound quality was fine when using a DAC hat thing).

The Sound as transport and with the internal dac is very good. It is precise and very punchy. I use mine with an ifi ipower.

"This thing is a killer bargain with the right software to drive it."
".....you get a DAC and streaming functionality built it. As such, the Google Chromecast Audio easily gets my recommendation! Seeing how you can improve its performance anytime with the use of a good DAC, it is hard to go wrong. You get to put your computer in a different place than your audio system and then stream what you want using Chromecast Audio. With a system like Roon where you can have multiple concurrent playback threads, this would make for an excellent secondary use/room.
Amir
Founder, Audio Science Review
Founder, Madrona Digital "

Have you noticed how expensive NOS Chrome Cast Audio's are on Ebay now?

"This thing is a killer bargain with the right software to drive it."
".....you get a DAC and streaming functionality built it. As such, the Google Chromecast Audio easily gets my recommendation! Seeing how you can improve its performance anytime with the use of a good DAC, it is hard to go wrong. You get to put your computer in a different place than your audio system and then stream what you want using Chromecast Audio. With a system like Roon where you can have multiple concurrent playback threads, this would make for an excellent secondary use/room.
Amir
Founder, Audio Science Review
Founder, Madrona Digital "

Have you noticed how expensive NOS Chrome Cast Audio's are on Ebay now?
There are very few bargains in hifi.
The CCA and Squeezebox touch are 2 of them. The latter has an excellent dac, unforced and well organised.
Put either through a dac of your choice and enjoy the music!

Hope anybody using Spotify remembers to turn off “audio normalisation”, if you don’t you’re flattening the SQ.

Goes without saying in Spotify settings you’ve selected highest quality.

Gary

I run my CCA off of a battery - one of those portable jobbies you see people carrying around for their phones - and it sounds great. It sounds best imo when used as a headphone amp for my HD650s, again, running off of battery power rather than mains.

My own experience with streamers is that usability is a bigger defining factor than sound quality, as while the latter has varied a bit across the ones I've tried none of them have been unlistenable. On the other hand some have had control apps that were awful - for example it was the main reason I stopped using a Pi as a streamer as none of the options I tried had decent apps (although the sound quality was fine when using a DAC hat thing).

I used to run IPeng with a Pi but have recently turned to the developing Material Skin. What a gem it is and it is only young in its development. The LMS is the real gem though and gives access to just about all you need and more.

I run my CCA off of a battery - one of those portable jobbies you see people carrying around for their phones - and it sounds great. It sounds best imo when used as a headphone amp for my HD650s, again, running off of battery power rather than mains.

I run my CCA off Linear Power Supply ( I had this lying around) and the Topping E30 off battery as above.

Gary

I should add that both the NP5 and the Chromecast were fed via ethernet cat cable, just incase that makes a difference ;).

The NP5 has been updated software wise - but it's still stripped to the bone like a race car in terms of functionality so doesn't choose to add on any excess bloatware - instead this device uses native streaming software such as chromecast, spotify connect, UPnP, soon to be Tidal Connect and Roon etc.

It's got the useful option to upsample all music if you like playing around with NOS DACs and the like. It can also limit your sample rate if you are using older DACs that do not support hi-res.

I do not have much of a need to have sophisticated software because I only subscribe to streaming so this suits me down to the ground in that sense.

I'm just looking for a cost effective high quality 5V psu for this streaming bridge just to see if this improves sq any further.

If you want more integrated features in your GUI choose Bluesound or Auralic.

Have got one of those - will give it a whirl!

Mine sounded pretty decent when using a battery power supply and optically streaming Amazon HD or Spotify Premium into my Audionet. Straight out audio with supplied wall wart is amazing value but music the was somewhat lifeless compared to Yamaha Musicast WXAD10 and especially the Klipsch Gate (R-Play) units - but the latter two cost a lot more than the piffling £15 I paid for the CCA at Currys. (I now use a Bluesound Node to feed my Audionet as that can stream Amazon UHD tracks).

Mine sounded pretty decent when using a battery power supply and optically streaming Amazon HD or Spotify Premium into my Audionet. Straight out audio with supplied wall wart is amazing value but music the was somewhat lifeless compared to Yamaha Musicast WXAD10 and especially the Klipsch Gate (R-Play) units - but the latter two cost a lot more than the piffling £15 I paid for the CCA at Currys. (I now use a Bluesound Node to feed my Audionet as that can stream Amazon UHD tracks).

Yes, talk about mullet systems - I actually used a £15 streamer with a "£10k RRP" DAC/amp and "£4k RRP" speakers.

advertisement

Back