advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
18 quid is pretty good for Coudoulet 2016, madness that it is less than EP. If you were to buy the 17 from me, I would have to charge you £25 for it.

All that playing about with RPis is really honing my cut-and-paste skills - look...

Just about recovered from the Fosters yuk now.

I can honestly say I have never touched a drop of the (I imagine) filthy stuff. Like some of the stuff I drank as a student (Lamot and Colt 45 spring too readily to mind) just the thought of it makes me feel queasy. Hope you enjoyed Neil though. I'm not sure if one 'enjoys' Bob nowadays, or simply experiences him.

I'm guessing we're pretty ready and stocked for Brexit now...

I think the ancestral cellars can manage about 625 bottles, and CT tells me we are on 564, so yes - it's time to stop (as always.)

Extraordinary that something as good as Coudoulet 2016 actually goes down on EP price. It reinforces my preference to stay out of the EP game.

18 quid is pretty good for Coudoulet 2016, madness that it is less than EP. If you were to buy the 17 from me, I would have to charge you £25 for it.

I reckon I was lucky there. L&W had only the six bottles, and I got the impression from their agent that they were probably from a client who had decided against taking them out of bond for some reason. I paid £12 EP from HoT, but as they were doing a nice Quidco offer at the time there was an eventual saving on that. All up I paid £15.64 for those. The six from L&W yesterday which started out cheaper in bond at £11.50 would have come to £16.50 each but for the flat rate £10 delivery charge, which put them slightly over £18. An annoying little extra, but I saved over £40 at Waitrose so what the hey.

Last edited:
Oh lord, now I’ve found Piedlong 2015 and 2016 in bond at £129/6 and £125/6 respectively (Wine Soc EP prices were £130 and £140.) Perhaps it would be good to have a little something as a reminder of the World Cup win...?

Edit: I’m sure it will come as no surprise given my lack of will power - I have gone for the 2015 at £28.48/bottle. I think I have enough 2016s already so I thought I’d go for something a little different/possibly slightly earlier drinking. It’s all L&W’s fault - they twisted my arm by waiving the £10 delivery charge on the Piedlong as I had bought the Coudoulet on Friday, despite that order already having been dispatched.

They also confirmed that the price I paid was the same as in their EP offer two years ago. Yet most merchants in the UK and France now advertise it at £35-40 or equivalent. All too confusing for me.

Last edited:
The Châteauneuf Les Sinards is shown and priced at £23 on the website, but ‘unavailable’. I imagine this means you could well find it instore.

25% off in Sainsbury's again - finishes tonight.
The Famille Perrin CNDP Sinards is already reduced from £23 to £20, so down to £15 with the 25% off.
Plenty in my local store. Pleasantly surprised to still see the 2016 on the shelf - definitely better than 2017, at least according to John Livingstone-Learmonth ****(*) for the 2016, and ***(*) for the 2017.

Finally got around to getting the cracking vintage 2016 Coudoulet. It is running out (and price bumped as high as £25 already by some) so get it now if you want some. I'm trying not to open any yet but I'm sure I'll fail and be back with a report. Probably should have checked if EV had any first.

Coudoulet 2016 En Primeur was £132/12 IB for me...
From the excellent James Bercovici at Big Red Wine. Still has stock of Coudoulet 2014 (£147/12 IB = £17.50), 2015 (£150 = £18), 2016 (£162 = £19), and 2017 (£150 = £18).

Plenty of other good Rhone options too.

No connections etc.

Bit if an odd one: on "entering" the Cellar this evening I noticed a slight discharge of thick red from one of the Telegraphes.
I've opened it expecting vinegar but the cork seemed fine and it tastes OK.
Wha'ppen?

Seepage. Can indicate corks are loosing elasticity, and either time to drink or replace stoppers.

Bit if an odd one: on "entering" the Cellar this evening I noticed a slight discharge of thick red from one of the Telegraphes.
I've opened it expecting vinegar but the cork seemed fine and it tastes OK.
Wha'ppen?

What is the temperature in the cellar ?

Not cold enough...it's a cupboard in the front room. The real cellar has been converted into living accommodation.

That is probably the reason. Long term storage should be less than 18, and little (and slow) variation day/night or seasonal.

The price of wine fridges is annoying. No reason they should cost so much more than a normal fridge: but they do.

Interesting article in the Weekend FT about running a vineyard in the UK.
Makers of UK sparkling wine pay £3.43 tax inc VAT; in France the equivalent duty is 8p. That and lower yields account for the higher prices but it seems to me that £25+ for UK sparkling is too high. However it seems to sell...
If you are tempted you need half a mill for the land and about the same again for equipment (although you can lease most of it these days) to produce up to 20,000 bottles p a. Time to sell the Naim stack ?

Last edited:
So now Xmas is just around the corner it seems time to resurrect a favourite old thread.
What will you be drinking for Xmas ?
I am thinking Ch Musar or something French. Or Italian. Not too worried about the food: I guess it will be some sort of bird and quite a few vege options.
Before anyone starts banging on about the price of wine having a good wine with home cooking is surely one of life's great bargains. Xmas or any other day.

I expect something French. I have some Mosel Riesling that I picked up on my last trip there, I expect there'll be a bottle of that too.

some of my private supplier, a little, secluded vineyard in the lower third of the rhone valley. lovely stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back