advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the trick with bordeaux is to identify who makes good second wine and which vintages turn that good into a very good.
Then there is the subject of changes in people (generational or due to a sale) and investment.
Not easy to get vineyard specific information unless you are in the business I guess.

Last edited:
Whilst tidying the under-the-stairs black hole for a smart meter installation Friday, I discovered a couple of bottles I'd forgotten about. Not sure I can wait until Christmas now I know they're there.

rbQejKItBhwiuqlF_GGTFDFRN-guOClV-Bu-kQsIvvVCQ-1rDLbJttOyrQYS1sA97Iw-67aCmGuR5nFt-NNW5QRd0bKp_sF8QVN5MHsGlHcFKDRwPd84LZGaDYalEn_wpk9IhlHbicRzCy0dqGSBqrK2TbkwO-AlAyN__RAIu3eDaZqnu4PNOE6VH3Ny-Ubeba7cEaBIa3PZaO271-UBe0OjDPg81pgJJl7lIQO_GpnB6doDakSchbnjpgZdSiIF4a4AyUXQRbymWD1PnoiZSpfkjbVVO0Q0F5dZhkS_pJ7iB83Mg8cu_aw5WzUd6yqEddUxwOOFjHn2Ot-l8PKRysiGJu3dkW4iDTV6th5vgMWQc17O_c3jPIGeoALgpPjqwwOjklIhf08uvqbCX9NoW-FgdtlX2rC7VAofrnC30DuAmyKlwtB_abAe3jmgCRYgdOPjK9ilm2i-SLFB680YLQrByzTD1XEbk_JlLN0lJWX0R6UoKkUa2UW8GeS6xtVd42PIVZC9vcaN3Hf_vxEFleM-qtkq7mmy4b9Z9GwpORPPVKCODZ7nIDK2wEq5MD4KXRxgwnZknJQhn1-bKSqrjRD5dlbLSVSStGV2EX-lQa83wRLWw8XkvylSR7mOngEeeaOPVrYdwGWMa-1OoigWRXwQKTO4ubivCmXrjaPNz0LNCV2kHpF01gkAjoT4ST8py9reLWMTv9ewQGMQML1oWw-Kxw=w294-h939-no
egBXyIl_wnIDWRcSs8u1P9hxzPVV3HP9LuvsjNLiMsl_wygoMzYlO1pDCFXMH_-Qw5TARDchiBAqzhLo4NvUkQXu1bQo7HSjn8saHF6nsz8cHmKI6nqeXtzyyl34wkxi6yxY4m7LGxtxyTMSwuAl-3Ttb8vCf9AQtBE9hsYphep0pDaKnhNGxjblH_j8SKhJudWM0HZcCyA8Ze_bmq2fJoL9BjPc_i2cDrhyJuWLZjbmGuGjQ9FVyr28451SAvjQ_2pR6b-qcsjNvD3S7CZh1e__cejxu2lE5zhG2LDfrNKn7a6fY_oLPYEvxNdnTN31Fq_7-HOWb59DAjv10mbRlGDiffohHFkzcpp8v8hyd3ef46RrHqDI-nqTwEriRQiB20NxaM5Vx2w7kdiih_HbtsGhGCLCp2NfcFvkH9__NArcdBIijql1WMkQP1TTmrcnxQTxUyCmrSo3a92NzFXtjXUOoj3RGpeD-Z4vEUU6nWpeb8Py8MFk96VlpEIuJb9gloE7Bi0j5dC947z9BBmGwFIel4kRrMosgPuuIg_bwgmm80vCkAATPlKjk3UsUE611IW1xxu07h8AgJJdxc9slyJxT_nP10AnHJVwxx61kNXvbGPgMm_FTV_VXxaUsh4XRoXv9rVLK7WW7I6AVG4NUapMdxvHvAjgmcBO9KvUC4NqAUrnJ5zRv1F6u30xAvtiF2rHdKCcrV2zdtG3DRo1g15O5Q=w293-h939-no

Interesting stuff on the net about EP: collapse in 2013 followed by 3 good years due to excellent weather.
But 2017 sales down to about half as it was overpriced. BBR by far the largest EP merchant and they did £13-14m.

Seriously gone off port: hardly had any for 15 years or so. However an old vintage port would be very tempting.
And, despite the good pricing, have never got into sherry unless a very dry one in a tapas bar.
However the Riesling exploration has started with: Clemens Busch, Hirtzberger, Van Volxem and Donnhoff. But where is the summer they deserve ?

Last edited:
I was doing quite well on reducing hangovers until I got tempted by £5 off Nikka From The Barrel but at least it is only 50cc and half gone ! Sticking to wine after that.

...the Riesling exploration has started with: Clemens Busch, Hirtzberger, Van Volxem and Donnhoff. But where is the summer they deserve ?

I'm delighted to say it seems to be in northern France for the period of my forthcoming trip.

48119383421_95cecffe10_z.jpg

Ten days of eating, drinking, pootling around on a bike (to go somewhere to eat or drink) and sniffing out any bargain bottles, obvs. Looking at that forecast I am seriously tempted to take a few bottles from Alsace back over with me.

Thanks. If there are any left at 21€ I will bring one back to the ancestral cellars and put your name on it. You never know. Until Thursday, that is.

On a serious note AFAIK 389 in 2015 and 2016 is not as good as previous years.
Whereas, as you know only too well, 2015/16 are glorious years for French wine, particularly Rhone. There is a reason they have to offer a discount...
Of course at €21 it is still probably worth buying a couple more as long as you have space for another case of Perrin !
After all this could be your last run before BB: Boris Brexit.

On a serious note...
I was being serious!

As Saarth Oz is a long way from Carpentras I don’t know much about it, but I have to say the reviews of the 2015 Bin 389 that I have read will do for me!

At the moment this is looking more like a Brunier trip, but I have two more pencilled in before Halloween and the dawn of the dead.

I'm delighted to say it seems to be in northern France for the period of my forthcoming trip.

48119383421_95cecffe10_z.jpg

Ten days of eating, drinking, pootling around on a bike (to go somewhere to eat or drink) and sniffing out any bargain bottles, obvs. Looking at that forecast I am seriously tempted to take a few bottles from Alsace back over with me.

You do live the life!

BTW do you take a bike with you or hire one in France ? Good thing you are not going to the south: weather forecast for 45 degrees...

Predicted last month that I would not be able to resist a Coudoulet and I was right.
It wasn't my fault though as Waitrose had a reduced price on one last ribeye steak so we shared it (less red meat these days so half was perfect). £5.88 !
Relieved that it is already really good and even better on the second day.
I should be able to leave the other 11 until next year now.
Big brother should be amazing in a few years.

I expect you'll find 389 at €5 a bottle.

If there are any left at 21€ I will bring one back to the ancestral cellars and put your name on it. You never know. Until Thursday, that is.

Have faith in your Uncle Marchbanks, he won’t let you down.

48139013801_6a8624c95d_c.jpg

And he keeps his promises... yours for 21€!

48139042718_f342c9f2bf_c.jpg

All gone now, in case any of you were going to rush to Calais. I did give you a heads up last month...!

My English friend from France is visiting his mother in hospital but tomorrow comes for dinner. Knows more about wine than anybody I know so I'll ambush him with a decanted Greek (but very good) wine and see what he guesses. If he says "Barolo" that would be impressive. If he says "Xinomavro" he is MW level.
After that it will be downhill: he will stay the night. Hope he catches his flight on Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back