advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very much hope you enjoy it. The price has rocketed in the last few years, but it is still good value. The best bet is to wait for sales at Waitrose or Majestic or join the Wine Society. I thought I saw some in Tesco recently, but that could have been a psychotic moment.
I'm obviously not finding the right CdR. I generally enjoy Rhone style wines, but more often than not I've found the bottles of CdR (and CdR Villages) I've drunk to be thin, limp and uninspiring, even boring, whereas I know the GSM combination can be spectacular in other hands. I may have to nip to our locak Booths and see if there's any to be had.

I'm obviously not finding the right CdR. I generally enjoy Rhone style wines, but more often than not I've found the bottles of CdR (and CdR Villages) I've drunk to be thin, limp and uninspiring, even boring, whereas I know the GSM combination can be spectacular in other hands. I may have to nip to our locak Booths and see if there's any to be had.
If you haven’t tried the Guigal, you could do a lot worse. I wasn’t having a psychotic moment, it is on the Tesco website for £12. Vinatis.co.uk sell it too, currently £11 each if you buy two bottles. They have other deals too, like the Chardonnay mentioned here...
I have never enjoyed Chardonnay until https://www.averys.com/product/3960319
...for a tenner (also if you buy 2) as well as a load of other Jeff Carrel wine. You have to add on delivery under £150 though.

Last edited:
If you haven’t tried the Guigal, you could do a lot worse. I wasn’t having a psychotic moment, it is on the Tesco website for £12. Vinatis.co.uk sell it too, currently £11 each if you buy two bottles. They have other deals too, like this...

...for a tenner (also if you buy 2) as well as a load of other Jeff Carrel wine. You have to add on delivery under £150 though.
Thanks, will check it out. I'm a fan of Crozes Hermitage, but not of the price they ask for much of it, so a viable and affordable CdR would be a cellar staple.

^ they got $1 a bottle. Couldn't they have sold it off at a price cheaper than normal and let wine drinkers have a bargain for one year ?

^ they got $1 a bottle. Couldn't they have sold it off at a price cheaper than normal and let wine drinkers have a bargain for one year ?
Sounds dead simple in theory, I agree. But I imagine three months trying to sell your wine in a locked-down France (really locked-down, as in needing printed accreditation to leave your property and don’t even think about leaving your département, not the ‘it would be really nice if you did what we are asking, but don’t feel obliged’ UK version) presented certain logistical difficulties. I don’t imagine winemakers thought ‘anything but give the punters a bargain.’ And we are talking here about cheapo Edelzwicker, which costs you and I about 6€/litre bottle after tax, bottling etc. at the door. The margins probably aren’t that huge.

Sympathy to the Jeromes of the world. They keep their cellar door prices reasonable.
But generally I suspect that in bumper crop years there are attempts to restrict supply and keep prices rising inexorably.
Especially during the 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 run of great vintages in many regions/countries. And 2014/17 were not bad at all for some.
Tariffs and Covid have forced a reset in Bordeaux 2019 prices.
I'd be happy to see investors, rather than drinkers, getting their fingers burnt.

I joined their Unlimited delivery scheme, around GDB 20. Free deliveries for one year, 6 bottles minimum and 5 deliveries to other addresses, express
service included.

@wacko ...as our man in NZ what are the local feelings regarding the 2019 Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay? L&W are tempting me to buy some at £13 IB. And as I have a healthy balance in my account, they are succeeding. But I’d like to know if their hype of ‘greatest ever vintage’ (aren’t they all?) is given any credence over there.

@wacko ...as our man in NZ what are the local feelings regarding the 2019 Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay? L&W are tempting me to buy some at £13 IB. And as I have a healthy balance in my account, they are succeeding. But I’d like to know if their hype of ‘greatest ever vintage’ (aren’t they all?) is given any credence over there.

Buy it. Even if it isn't the 'greatest ever vintage' it is worth more than £13 IB.
How do you always have a healthy balance and keep buying wines ? Do you have a doting Aunt funding a monthly transfer into your L&W account ?

Buy it. Even if it isn't the 'greatest ever vintage' it is worth more than £13 IB.
Thanks. That’s the going rate over here - must just be good value.

I’ve had a thought - ask @Simon Dawson ... are you there, Simon? Do you reckon Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay 2019 should be a good one?
How do you always have a healthy balance and keep buying wines ? Do you have a doting Aunt funding a monthly transfer into your L&W account ?
A harshly ascetic lifestyle and successful prioritising. And being Squire of the village comes with its perks, of course.

Very nice Primitivo with anchoviy and black olives pizza and green salad with dressing. All about food pairings for me.
We do not eat many heavy meals in the summer, veg, fish, ocassional chomp on meat but no more than twice a week.

Noblegrape have Kumeu I'm tempted
2017 Chardonnay.
How's their pinot noir?

https://www.noblegrape.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Kumeu

NZ is known for Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir so their Chardonnay and Syrah are overlooked.
The Estate is our go-to chardonnay. It costs £15-17 in NZ. I don't think the 2019 is released yet.
But that is a good price for Hunting Hill.
All their wine will be in the range of good to excellent, but chardonnay is their thing.

Last edited:
I recommended this to Sue upthread, so I thought I’d better put my money where my mouth is, or maybe the other way round.

50197907638_d318a8730f_z.jpg

It was lovely. Intense ruby colour, deep mulberry-fruity and tarry Syrah. Better than the Voge 100% Syrah CdR I tried a few months ago and a couple of quid cheaper, although admittedly that was a little beyond its best-before date.

I have five left, but need more. Apparently the 2019 was the best ever (where have I heard that before?) Here’s a merchant with four bottles of it left at 8.90€! And now he’s sold out...

I’ve also got some Saint Cosme St Joseph 2015 (that will be a négociant job, and I might try one of those soon) and Gigondas 2016, which should be fantastic. That one’s for the future.

I have a friend who is staying with his family at Les Florets in Gigondas for a couple of nights early next week. St. Cosme is on his visiting list. The wines are lovely, never had a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back