advertisement

Christmas Wine III

pleasant enough

20240409_191543 by uh_simon, on Flickr
The vines grow in sight of Cézanne's favourite Montagne Ste Victoire, too.
Not to be confused with:
- Domaine de la Bégude, a Bandol wine made about 50 km further south with a different mix of grapes (Clairette added to the Ugni and Rolle). They host occasional jazz or baroque concerts (and picnics with nice views towards the Med). I haven't tasted their white, but the rosé is good, and so are the reds.
- Château de la Bégude near Valbonne/Nice (a 4-star hotel complete with 18-hole golf course, but pah, no vineyard).

Pallières racines 2014 starting to show itself as something special. I think it was @eternumviti who told me to give it time when I expressed frustration with it a couple of years ago.

Had a beautiful bottle of Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (2017) on Friday. I’m rubbish at describing wine, but there was lots going on, and the tannins were helpful rather than intrusive. Went really well with the slow cooked beef cheeks we were eating. I have one bottle left. Will definitely look to get more. It’s pricier than I remember, though.

Disappointing really ,quite fruity but lacked any balancing acidity,structure etc.
Bit better today but nothing special.
Maybe try another Mâcon later.

If anyone's bored and has a spare 10 minutes to look over this site and make some recommendations , then please do. I'm going order some Pallières , which seems well priced, but I need to make up 12 bottles so . . .

More evidence against buying EP in the Wine Soc clearance. This morning they had Beaucastel 2017 and Montus 2018 on sale, both working out at below the price I paid in 2019. Bastards. I see they have already been snaffled up, though.

But at the moment they still have this, which is calling to me…

…and that works out at nearly £3/bottle less than the EP+duty+VAT price I paid for my 2016s six years ago.

IMG-0940.jpg

First tentative sip of white Pigeoulet. Corked. fk, shit, bugger.

IMG-0940.jpg

First tentative sip of white Pigeoulet. Corked. fk, shit, bugger.

In the immortal words of Dudley Moore, I hate it when that happens.

BTW, you shouldn't really be drinking even corked wine out of Paris goblet. Isn't it considered to be a crime against vinology?

Disappointing really ,quite fruity but lacked any balancing acidity,structure etc.
Bit better today but nothing special.
Maybe try another Mâcon later.
I like our Chardonnays. I have my favourite, have had it for 30 years. Mâcon Lugny Les Charmes. Cheap (here) and reliable.

Reactions: PsB

advertisement

Back