advertisement

Christmas Wine III

I wonder if the esteemed oenophile community who post on this thread would indulge my query? The most enjoyable wine I ever tasted was a Taurino Salice Salentino 1995. Oddbins and Safeway used to knock it out in the mid 90’s but I haven’t been able to source it since then. It was wonderfully rich and spicy, with beautiful liquorice notes.

I‘ve tried other Negroamaro blends, but the only wine I’ve found that comes near it is the rather pricey (for me) Chateau Musar. Are there any other recommendations that would be along similar lines?

I wonder if the esteemed oenophile community who post on this thread would indulge my query? The most enjoyable wine I ever tasted was a Taurino Salice Salentino 1995. Oddbins and Safeway used to knock it out in the mid 90’s but I haven’t been able to source it since then. It was wonderfully rich and spicy, with beautiful liquorice notes.

I‘ve tried other Negroamaro blends, but the only wine I’ve found that comes near it is the rather pricey (for me) Chateau Musar. Are there any other recommendations that would be along similar lines?
Ch Musar make cheaper alternatives. Waitrose (and maybe others) sell one of them named Aana that I now see has gone up to £23 but if you wait for the 25% discount days...

Just mention of Puglia makes me think that you may enjoy this one -- I do.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/gallery/2024/mar/08/homes-for-sale-with-a-wine-cellar-in-pictures Today's Guardian features a few houses for sale with wine cellars.
Not sure I'm tempted by the flats in Hammersmith. "As well as a wine fridge in every home, there is also a communal wine cellar where bottles can be stored and secured"
Tempted to move to Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire though. "Underneath this traditional eight-bedroom property, built in the 1750s, is a barrel-ceilinged cellar with alcoves full of wine (not included in the sale). The grounds, over 2.7 hectares (6.7 acres),"

Blimey! Three bottle Friday! ; )

Looking fwd to your report.
That was an expensive drink, managed to spill red wine on the carpet,and not having the good housekeeping guide to hand left a mess.
Not my carpet.
Demetts quite green apple at first but zesty fresh and crisp ,good starter.
I'll left the NZ Chardonnay as well as a wee half Chassagne Montrachet to others .Well I had a wee taste of the latter: luscious.
Someone here once said why buy EP when you can get bottle age of the shelf,so with the NSG2016.Who said PN was just about "perfume"
and elegance a lightweight.
This went on forever just perfect ,PN with depth .
Threw some of this on the risotto tonight

This is just absurdly, ridiculously good value. That isn’t news to you lot, of course. CT tells me I bought 27 bottles of this in the course of 2019 - average price paid, £6 (£6!!) and I now have two left. It’s an object lesson in the good sense of keeping wine on hold for a few years - I’m sure this is still improving. It could see off many a cheapo Gigondas or CdP up to say £20. The 2016 has an even better word-of-mouth reputation - I’m pleased to say I have a decent stash of those to come next…

20240310212227-b4e5e670-me.jpg

Tonight this is being paired with Beiderbecke anniversary day on WKCR. What a joy!

Why I’ve given up buying expensive stuff en primeur, part 94…

It had irked me for a while that there was a 2015 Vieux Télégraphe-shaped hole in my stash, and last week I saw a chance to fill it when A Client decided to dump half-a-dozen through L&W. They arrived this morning, and what should I find when I opened the cardboard box but the nice OWC lurking inside!

20240314145842-2b571fa3-me.jpg

If I had bought this box en primeur from the Wine Society it would have cost me £210 (before duty and VAT) up front in spring 2016. Then in 2017 I would have had to store it (either taking up space in my cellar or paying the Wine Soc to do it for me) until it was ready to drink, well, starting about now - seven years later.

So how much did I have to pay L&W for the privilege of keeping my cash for eight years, not paying for storage and getting a box of wine off the shelf that is ready to crack open? Er, £195 (again, before duty and VAT.) I reckon I could have earned £20 in interest on my money in eight years, and the B of E calculator reckons £195 today would have been equivalent to £150 in 2016. I’m sure you get my drift.

I’m looking forward to trying these. I think the first might get opened very soon, with the rest being sampled over the next four or five years.

IMG-0935.jpg

Perrin C9dP "Méridion" 2021 -- about £18 a pop from Sainsburys in their sale.

Undrinkable day 1, just sour and woody and thin. The last one I bought, about 12 months ago, wasn't like that, so it probably wants a bit more bottle age really. Nothing drunk yesterday and today it's actually rather nice, so that's Day 3.

Is it better than Perrin Ventoux for half the price? Or the much lauded Guigal CdR? No. From memory, they are all in the same sort of league. But C9dP is a cool name. At full price, kind of £25. it's a total rip off.

But I did notice this at Adnams -- Perrin C9dP "Galets de la Bertaude" -- anyone know anything about it?

I'm interested in Adnams because they have free delivery over £65 and they have some of the dangerously moreish Telmo Rodriguez Basa

Perrin C9dP "Méridion" 2021 -- about £18 a pop from Sainsburys in their sale.

Undrinkable day 1, just sour and woody and thin. The last one I bought, about 12 months ago, wasn't like that, so it probably wants a bit more bottle age really. Nothing drunk yesterday and today it's actually rather nice, so that's Day 3.

Is it better than Perrin Ventoux for half the price? Or the much lauded Guigal CdR? No. From memory, they are all in the same sort of league. But C9dP is a cool name. At full price, kind of £25. it's a total rip off.

But I did notice this at Adnams -- Perrin C9dP "Galets de la Bertaude" -- anyone know anything about it?

I'm interested in Adnams because they have free delivery over £65 and they have some of the dangerously moreish Telmo Rodriguez Basa

Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but I have avoided any Rhone wine from 2021 so far and intend to continue so doing. I don’t see any advantage in buying from an acknowledged bad vintage when there is a run of good ones on either side!

That aside, I can’t really imagine any CdP worth its salt being ready to drink after 2.5 years.

Last edited:
Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but I have avoided any Rhone wine from 2021 so far and intend to continue so doing. I don’t see any advantage in buying from an acknowledged bad vintage when there is a run of good ones on either side!
Just looking at CT, I bet Sainsburys Meridion is an inferior Perrin c9dP brand - and Galets a superior one. I may well try a bottle of Galets from Adnams just to see, though of course the problem is that CT suggests it needs to be kept for a few years still. 2021 Perrin Ventoux is pretty nice by the way, I've got one left and then I'm on to 2022.

Just looking at CT, I bet Sainsburys Meridion is an inferior Perrin c9dP brand - and Galets a superior one. I may well try a bottle of Galets from Adnams just to see, though of course the problem is that CT suggests it needs to be kept for a few years still. 2021 Perrin Ventoux is pretty nice by the way, I've got one left and then I'm on to 2022.
The Adnams bottle is made by a different Perrin to the Famille Perrin of Beaucastel/Ventoux/Meridion.

advertisement

Back